Week 2 GDT - Cincinnati Bengals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

May be controversial but I don't think it is crazy to say Armstead has been the second best defender through two weeks. Though Bosa has a great case for that as well. Also Warner? 

I was going to mention Warner. Very solid through two games. He's the steady presence next to Kwons big swings. 

Honestly, it's come from a lot of places. Bosa has been good. Armstead is off to a monster start. Moore has been good in coverage. 

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Who looks like the best defender for the Niners through two weeks? Boss? Sherman? Buckner?

I think Witherspoon has probably been the most consistent. Buckner hasn’t done much but I’ll admit I haven’t watched close enough to know if he’s just drawing double teams nonstop or if he’s been struggling. Bosa is making a huge difference but wouldn’t say he’s making biggest difference. Even when he’s not in the pass rush has been fairly consistent with Blair and Armstead.  

I’ll say I felt like Alexander was a big difference maker today. Flies around and makes things happen (but sometimes not good things) but I felt like the run game shut down this week was partially due to him being back. 

And I feel like Williams has been the worst, and the biggest surprise has been Tartt hasn’t even been mentioned, pretty much at all. Is that because the front 7 stuffed the run so much he isn’t needing to make tackles in run support and our corners are playing so good he hasn’t had to be too involved in the pass defense? I don’t know.... just surprised how little he’s been around the ball. 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, clarkfn2284 said:

I see a ton of respect for what the Bengals showed against Seattle, but I believe it to be a mirage. Seattle has a very poor offensive line which only helped Cincinnati's D-Line. The John Ross TD, as stated before was a fluke play where the safety judged the flight of the ball terribly. Cincy does not have an explosive offense and they have a banged up RB who isn't practicing and will more than likely be a game time decision with an ankle sprain. I get that the idea of winning is somewhat new to this era of the 49ers, but I just do not see a scenario where they leave with a loss.

I see Jimmy taking another step to looking more like a proficient thrower and the run game will be more impactful. I also see a couple of explosives helping in a relatively dominant win. Look for Mostert to have an impact and look for the 49ers D-Line to wreak havoc.

27-9 49ers

You nailed it! This game wasn't close. Have a like (page 2) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

I think Witherspoon has probably been the most consistent. Buckner hasn’t done much but I’ll admit I haven’t watched close enough to know if he’s just drawing double teams nonstop or if he’s been struggling. Bosa is making a huge difference but wouldn’t say he’s making biggest difference. Even when he’s not in the pass rush has been fairly consistent with Blair and Armstead.  

I’ll say I felt like Alexander was a big difference maker today. Flies around and makes things happen (but sometimes not good things) but I felt like the run game shut down this week was partially due to him being back. 

And I feel like Williams has been the worst, and the biggest surprise has been Tartt hasn’t even been mentioned, pretty much at all. Is that because the front 7 stuffed the run so much he isn’t needing to make tackles in run support and our corners are playing so good he hasn’t had to be too involved in the pass defense? I don’t know.... just surprised how little he’s been around the ball. 

Tartt has been fine. He made some stops at the LOS against Tampa and has overall been sound. In our system it is very important the back end stays disciplined or else it will lead to a lot of big plays. Just look at last hear how many big plays we allowed because our safeties either took terrible angles or didn't play their responsibility in the zone. 

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

Colbert not starting has been an incredible case of addition by subtraction. Hopefully he catches on somewhere, dude can make a living as an ST ace no problem. 

Yea I admit I was one of the ones that crown him too early. But he showed soooooo much promise his rookie year. He had great range and was always around the ball. He second years rolls around and his play just fell off a cliff....really weird. 

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Who looks like the best defender for the Niners through two weeks? Boss? Sherman? Buckner?

Even though he has only played 5 quarters for us, I feel like Kwon needs to mentioned here in addition to the other guys whose names have already been said. Kwon was everywhere today! He was everywhere in the first quarter of week 1 too. This has been a better signing than any of us could have hoped for. We gave him a ton of money and so far he has been worth it 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I was going to mention Warner. Very solid through two games. He's the steady presence next to Kwons big swings. 

This is a good point. There is some synergy with their playing styles.

Edited by N4L

Doesn't seem Dee Ford's injury was serious. Only thing i could find was that it happened when we were up by 21 points. Read it was a quad irritation. Hopefully it doesn't linger.

Next man up with Joe Staley down. Shannahan is a good playcaller most of the time so he'll do his best to mask LT Skule. Hope Skule can be serviceable. 

We're losing Staley for a while, but we're gaining Verrett, Ward, Wr Taylor, Wr Hurd so that will help.

Edited by Gravity

10 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Doesn't seem Dee Ford's injury was serious. Only thing i could find was that it happened when we were up by 21 points. Read it was a quad irritation. Hopefully it doesn't linger.

Next man up with Joe Staley down. Shannahan is a good playcaller most of the time so he'll do his best to mask LT Skule. Hope Skule can be serviceable. 

We're losing Staley for a while, but we're gaining Verrett, Ward, Wr Taylor, Wr Hurd so that will help.

Varrett has been a healthy scratch the last two weeks. 

I don't know how much Hurd will help or if he will even be active early on. 

Taylor is one of Jimmy G's favorite targets so that will help.

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Varrett has been a healthy scratch the last two weeks. 

I don't know how much Hurd will help or if he will even be active early on. 

Taylor is one of Jimmy G's favorite targets so that will help.

Good info on Verrett. I didn't know that. Hopefully either Ward or Verrett's presence moves K'Waun Williams back to the bench. 

Goodwin, Deebo, Pettis, Taylor, Richie James. Yeah might not be any space for Hurd or Bourne. I really like Hurd.