Week 2 GDT - Cincinnati Bengals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

19 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Does this guy give daily interviews to KNBR or something? 

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Some of that feeling was Jimmy misreading. The pick six was a smash concept that he read correctly presnap, but failed to account for a cover 3 corner playing so aggressively post snap. Richie James had about a 40 yard gain if he caught Hargreaves cheating. 

Jimmy G always falls for that same mistake every single time. I cringe when he goes outside the numbers on throws like that knowing there is a good chance the ball gets INT. I guess with more experience he will be able to read the defense better but he's still mainly a inside the numbers type of guy. His deep ball though seems better which is good to see.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Does this guy give daily interviews to KNBR or something? 

Jimmy G always falls for that same mistake every single time. I cringe when he goes outside the numbers on throws like that knowing there is a good chance the ball gets INT. I guess with more experience he will be able to read the defense better but he's still mainly a inside the numbers type of guy. His deep ball though seems better which is good to see.

You're right. He has read that smash concept incredibly poorly in limited action this year, in part because teams are overplaying the curl and Jimmy is overplaying the curl at the same time. I think the pick against Denver in preseason was the same concept, except he got cover 1 man. There was a lot of pressure and the ball floated, but Jimmy said after that he was trying to hit the curl when that's always a dangerous throw against man and Breida was busting open on the fade/corner. He hit a wide open Pettis on a corner route with the same concept in the Chiefs preseason game. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I just felt like it was the routes. It almost felt Greg Roman like. Not spreading anyone out, everything close and just off the line where there were a bunch of players. Not a ton of motion. Routes kind of overtop one another

I think one of the main things you are remembering is Roman's love of the all-curls concept. I mean, when you have Kaepernick who has an arm like a howitzer on line drive throws but lacks a bit of finesse, it's a reasonable concept. But things do looked a bit cramped and if you don't eventually double move, they're going to squat. When you ain't throwing the corner route on smashes, it looks exactly the same. The blame isn't on Shanahan, but on the man with the disdain for (mostly) perfectly good corner routes.

28 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I fully expect Kittle to go off in this game. Historically the Bengals have struggled containing TEs, especially one of Kittles caliber. Maybe this new regime proves me wrong, but until then, I expect Kittle to have a 9-120-1 kinda stat line. 

Kittle is legit but also right now the only option Jimmy G truly trusts. Would suggest just doubling him and single up the receivers.

What is the general consensus among Bengals fans of this game? You guys pretty confident? Optimistic? 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kittle is legit but also right now the only option Jimmy G truly trusts. Would suggest just doubling him and single up the receivers.

What is the general consensus among Bengals fans of this game? You guys pretty confident? Optimistic? 

I’d say most fans think it’s going to be close, and after a strong showing last week vs. a perceived strong team in Seattle, I think most are optimistic for a win. It again comes down to how our O-line holds up. Last week we should have won. Had 3 missed redzone opportunities due to a missed FG, a wet ball slipping out of Daltons hand, and a failed 4th and 1. I think most fans were more optimistic than the general consensus on how the Bengals would fare, but last week was kinda shocking how much better the defense looked than last year. We have a lot of talent at receiver and on the D-line. If the 49ers can get the ground game going then it will be a long day. 

7 minutes ago, sherm said:

So just read on rotoworld Deebo will be losing snaps to Pettis. Am I missing something...when did Goodwin get locked in as a must start wr? 

He didn't. It's just that neither Deebo or Pettis have done anything to keep Goodwin on the bench. Goodwin hasn't made it difficult either. But last year the team was burned when it gave young guys starting jobs (Colbert/Witherspoon) without competition, so young players will need to earn their spot.