Bengals waive DE Jordan Willis; claimed by Jets

TheKillerNacho

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I thought he was solid? Maybe not a starter, but a solid rotational piece. How did he fall off that fast?

Bengals are insanely deep on the DL. He's still a rotational piece. Just hasn't developed much as a pass rusher. IIRC, he's a good run stopper with some positional versatility.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I thought he was solid? Maybe not a starter, but a solid rotational piece. How did he fall off that fast?

I haven’t actually watched much, but he has like 2 career sacks and 7 QB hits. 

From a statistical standpoint, that tells me he either can’t get on the field in passing downs or isn’t a great pass rusher. Given how much time Lawson has missed, I imagine he’d have had the inside track on playing time (ahead of then-rookie Hubbard), but hasn’t capitalized on it. Or I guess, Hubbard is that good. 

I didn't like his NFL pass rush potential at Kansas State.

Then I don't think I've ever seen anyone exceed my combine expectations like he did. Drill after drill I would have pegged him below average, based on apparent athletic ability in college. Then somehow he tested elite.

However, no chance I was going to jump shift and overreact. I saw some posts on many sites exclaiming that his athletic ability had been obvious all along. That was hilarity. He's turned out to be who I thought he was. Lanky guy who is somewhat long striding and one gear...not special enough to defeat NFL tackles off the edge.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:07 AM, Awsi Dooger said:

I didn't like his NFL pass rush potential at Kansas State.

Then I don't think I've ever seen anyone exceed my combine expectations like he did. Drill after drill I would have pegged him below average, based on apparent athletic ability in college. Then somehow he tested elite.

However, no chance I was going to jump shift and overreact. I saw some posts on many sites exclaiming that his athletic ability had been obvious all along. That was hilarity. He's turned out to be who I thought he was. Lanky guy who is somewhat long striding and one gear...not special enough to defeat NFL tackles off the edge.

His athleticism isn't in question.  He's always looked the part as a Bengal.  His problem was his hands usage is very poor.  He can't get around the edge because tackles get a hand on him and he's done.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, jrry32 said:

Bengals are insanely deep on the DL. He's still a rotational piece. Just hasn't developed much as a pass rusher. IIRC, he's a good run stopper with some positional versatility.

This.  He would have stuck around as a rotational piece, but the Bengals had so many Dlinemen they liked (ask Seattle about that) they couldn't find a spot for him.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, Yin-Yang said:

but hasn’t capitalized on it. Or I guess, Hubbard is that good. 

Some of both.

• Like 1

So basically, he's going to be fine on the Jets.  He's NFL worthy, and could be really good if he could figure out how to use his hands.  Decent run stopper, sub-optimal pass rusher.  

Also, he will dominate your 3rd stringers in the preseason.