Week 2 GDT: CHI (0-1) @ DEN (0-1)

Broncofan

56 minutes ago, Counselor said:

So I know it’s PFF... but I saw Risner was the top ranked LG after week 1. That’s encouraging 

PFF has its flaws (most notably not accounting for competition faced, they assume everyone is equal, which is ludicrous), but Risner stood out for winning his battles from what I saw.  I'll let @lomaxgrUK expand from his usual All-22 analysis, but that was a slam dunk home run 2nd round pick from the get go.   At least we have 1 young OL centerpiece we can feel good about - it's OK if they struggle early, but the flip side is if a rookie excels early, if it's sustained vs. good teams - holy hell we've got something special.  I hope that's the case with Risner.

• Like 1

Going to struggle with all 22 I'm afraid. I had to haggle with my wife to even watch the game on our honeymoon, so I think all 22 will be a step too far! I will try though ...

If Cracraft is active ahead of Winfree it tells you all you need to know about the latter on special teams. The 4th and 5th WRs have huge roles on kick coverage.

Look for the Bears to get their RBs going in the passing game on early downs. Andy Reid has had so much success with this against us, and remember Nagy is a Reid disciple. 

1 minute ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Going to struggle with all 22 I'm afraid. I had to haggle with my wife to even watch the game on our honeymoon, so I think all 22 will be a step too far! I will try though ...

If Cracraft is active ahead of Winfree it tells you all you need to know about the latter on special teams. The 4th and 5th WRs have huge roles on kick coverage.

Look for the Bears to get their RBs going in the passing game on early downs. Andy Reid has had so much success with this against us, and remember Nagy is a Reid disciple. 

Honeymoon does take precedence lol.   Give it a few years though....

5 hours ago, Counselor said:

So I know it’s PFF... but I saw Risner was the top ranked LG after week 1. That’s encouraging 

He and Bolles held up real well. I was real pleased. That pair should be well worth watching as the season progresses.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a change at RG pretty soon. Leary's just not suitable for the right side.

A team that defends the run well, rushes the passer well, has a mobile QB and excels at getting the ball to playmakers in the middle of the field on linebackers? Yeessh, this is trouble. With our schedule this year I think 3-13, 4-12 aren't out of the realm of possibility. I really only see one win on the calendar (Jax sans Foles, but still a tough match up). 

I'm expecting Denver to win this game for a few reasons:

• Historically, Denver is a very good team at home, and especially in home openers
  • The Bears looked out of sorts, and while they do have a good defense, I am not at all sold on the offense.
  • Fangio knows that team quite well and players will be hyped up for their coach/first home game.

Denver didn't look stellar Monday, but Flacco played better than we've been used to. They need to clean some things up, and this will be a good test. I think they pull it out. Commitment to the run game will be the key here.

30 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I'm expecting Denver to win this game for a few reasons:

• Historically, Denver is a very good team at home, and especially in home openers
  • The Bears looked out of sorts, and while they do have a good defense, I am not at all sold on the offense.
  • Fangio knows that team quite well and players will be hyped up for their coach/first home game.

Denver didn't look stellar Monday, but Flacco played better than we've been used to. They need to clean some things up, and this will be a good test. I think they pull it out. Commitment to the run game will be the key here.

Agreed.  I'm not a Flacco lover by any means, but I've seen it floated a lot by numerous posters here about how he didn't play very well, poor ball placement, etc.  Not sure what game they watched.  He had a couple of throws that weren't great, but the vast majority he was on point.  Especially considering how the pocket collapsed on nearly every drop back and never really remember him having a "clean" pocket.  That won't fly vs the Bears.  The o-line will have maintain a much cleaner pocket for us to succeed.

Our offense had a complete collapse on Thursday night. OL, which is normally solid, allowed 23 pressures and 5 sacks and played horrendous. Our WRs dropped 4 4th quarter passes and we had another 2 that they could not get their feet down in bounds that were huge plays. Nagy lost his damn mind and Trubisky was really bad, but he did get better in the 4th quarter.

The problem I see for Denver is that our front 7 just destroys teams. They also have backups [RRH, Lynch] that rotate in and produce at a high level.

I am not sure how the Broncos OL and the immobile Flacco deal with it. The front 7 is literally relentless waves of *** kickers. If you focus on Mack; Hicks, Goldman, Floyd, RRH, Roquan will just eat you up like they did against the Packers.

I am obviously not confident in the Bears after last week, but what I am confident in, is that our defense breaks QBs. They destroyed Goff's soul last season, physically broke Rodgers, exposed Cousins.