Week 2 GDT: CHI (0-1) @ DEN (0-1)

Broncofan

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I personally feel this front office has been too slow to pull the plug on failed experiments. @BroncoBruin is alluding to it in the oaktown thread with banking on Roby and missing on solid plug and play corners corners, missing on talented wrs in 2014 and 2017 because the talent on the roster is being over valued. You can say your same phrase at multiple positions. 

This front office fails to realize if a guy isn't panning out due to age DT towards the end, Roby/Bolles reaching  their ceiling you can draft guys high to develop and replace those guys. If they do come around flip them for value. 

I think Langley is a prime example of this 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

They absolutely have a great chance to win this game if Trubisky couldn't handle the smoke from the packers D at home I doubt he comes into Mile high and torches us. 

I wanna see the I don't want to be here look from Mitch. Similar to the cowboys game in 2017. Even if the depth and talent is lacking in the grand scheme this game is winnable. 

Any home game against a flawed team we have a chance.  It’s just a sign IMO of how the big picture matters more to the fan base.  Win or lose this game we aren’t going anywhere until we build up the rosters even more and improve the QB & OL play by a significant degree.  

At least on the OL front we drafted Risner & brought in Munchak.   I have hope he can work with McGovern, Wilkinson & the TEN dude to see if we can get league average play or better next year as it takes a year for Munchak to have an impact in his past tenures.   But we also need to think hard about hitting next year’s T draft class.  And obv see where we are at long term at QB. 

Edited by Broncofan

57 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I think Langley is a prime example of this 

52 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

And Carlos Henderson.

The issue is drafting tools only projects.  You then need to wait until year 3 before you can cut bait.   It’s why it’s totally fine to do it at Rd 5-6.  The whiff rate and cost says good move.  You only need to hit 1 in 5-6 to be worthwhile.   Doing it on Day 2 / Rd 4 in deep drafts was the problem.   And then compounded by the lost opportunity cost of having to roster them and pass in future drafts.  

Out of the skill positions, QB is so important and RB so disposable until you find franchise dudes you should draft QB every 2nd-3rd year (the question is how early) until you have one and RB almost every year (or every 2nd year at worst) - but only Day 2 if pressed and Day 3 if not.   WR / CB take longer so the roster investment takes longer.  And TE longest of all.  

Edited by Broncofan

49 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And TE longest of all

@Broncofan I agree with that whole post but this last line just sticks with me. I don't hate the Fant pick it was good value for the player, he has long term upside in this offense, I'm not even going to be critical of him this year.

The player that he will always be compared too in my head career wise is Andre Dillard the best option and only other true consideration for pick 20. Bolles if he improves marginally under Munchak he still has trade value because line play in this league is truly that bad. I also understand that the 2020 is a loaded tackle class which in my opinion inflates the value of a top 10 pick that much more due to tackle being a cornerstone position. 

I've been dissapointed with the forward thinking of this organization. It's not the norm league wide anymore with the competitive organizations. If you are going to be bad or meddling use the leverage to build something and negotiate. 

Edited by thebestever6

25 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

@Broncofan I agree with that whole post but this last line just sticks with me. I don't hate the Fant pick it was good value for the player, he has long term upside in this offense, I'm not even going to be critical of him this year.

The player that he will always be compared too in my head career wise is Andre Dillard the best option and only other true consideration for pick 20. Bolles if he improves marginally under Munchak he still has trade value because line play in this league is truly that bad. I also understand that the 2020 is a loaded tackle class which in my opinion inflates the value of a top 10 pick that much more due to tackle being a cornerstone position. 

I've been dissapointed with the forward thinking of this organization. It's not the norm league wide anymore with the competitive organizations. If you are going to be bad or meddling use the leverage to build something and negotiate. 

Makes sense but they weren’t going to do that after signing James to that contract and hiring Munchak. They have hope they can fix Bolles.

22 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Makes sense but they weren’t going to do that after signing James to that contract and hiring Munchak. They have hope they can fix Bolles.

I think they may fix Bolles somewhat question is whether it's enough to not telegraph the first pick being on a tackle prospect next year. 

If that happens believe that teams will read right through it and leap them for the tackle prospect ala Houston. Still a long ways away.

What we've witnessed as a franchise since 2016 is a desperation to win now sacrificing forward thinking. Checkers while teams are playing chess. It got better this past year on paper anxious to see if it continues. 

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think they may fix Bolles somewhat question is whether it's enough to not telegraph the first pick being on a tackle prospect next year. 

If that happens believe that teams will read right through it and leap them for the tackle prospect ala Houston. Still a long ways away.

What we've witnessed as a franchise since 2016 is a desperation to win now sacrificing forward thinking. Checkers while teams are playing chess. It got better this past year on paper anxious to see if it continues. 

The win now element comes more from the dysfunctional ownership than anything else - As AAA has repeatedly pointed out, Ellis is forcing a drive for the play-offs because he needs it for the sponsorship deals - to the detriment of longer term roster planning.

Now - there has been a major improvement on drafting the last two years - and I am optimistic that this will continue - but it will take at last another two before there is sufficient roster depth to be considered capable of challenging.

9 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

The win now element comes more from the dysfunctional ownership than anything else - As AAA has repeatedly pointed out, Ellis is forcing a drive for the play-offs because he needs it for the sponsorship deals - to the detriment of longer term roster planning.

Now - there has been a major improvement on drafting the last two years - and I am optimistic that this will continue - but it will take at last another two before there is sufficient roster depth to be considered capable of challenging.

I understand that Ellis is the driving force and so forth, but to what extent does that go? At the end of the day are fans that gullable even the casual ones?

I think we have an intelligent fanbase for them to know when they're being fed horse manure and being told its filet mignon. Maybe I just don't know what exactly Ellis says or does to steer the win now approach I'd love to see the behind the scenes aspect. 

Since the offseason of 2016 it's been compounding mistakes that set this franchise back. I was excited about the 2018 draft.

The 2018 free agency period was very deflating though. I had to watch Keenums top 10 throws of the season 100 times to get bare minimum excited about the move. Does Ellis have final say in the draft and free agency? 

I would love to know these answers someday idc how it comes out. I hope when Elway leaves he speaks on it like Magic Johnson leaving the Lakers.

Man, just not a good feeling about the game tomorrow.  IMO, the only hope is that Trubisky is incredibly shaky and Matt Nagy gets too cute, which are both possibilities.  I don’t expect this offense to do much against Chicago so it’s going to take one hell of a defensive effort to win this game.

Ultimately, I think it ends up a blow out. 

Denver- 17 (a couple scores in garbage time)

Chicago- 28