Game Day Thread Wk. 2 Steelers 0 - 1 vs. Seahawks 1 - 0

Steeler Hitman

I don't know if there is an official game day thread sign-up schedule or volunteer schedule. Since it is Wednesday and I don't see one, I will chip in here or wherever I can each week. If I am stealing someone else's thunder, I don't mean to and I will delete this thread once you let me know.

2019 Season Week Two

Who: Steelers vs. Seahwaks

Series History: 9 - 9 last meeting 2015 Seahawks 39 -30 win in Seattle. Last Game in Pittsburgh week two 2011 Steelers dominating win 24 - 0.

2019-steelers-vs-seahawks.jpg

When and Where: Sunday, September 15, 2019 @ 1 pm Heinz Field

free-pittsburgh-steelers-wallpaper-deskt

Key Seattle Seahawk Players on Defense

usatsi_11752641.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

Quenton Jefferson DT with two sacks against the Bengals

newly acquired Jadeveon Clowney

former Steelers DE Al Woods

MLB Bobby Wagner tackling machine

The Griffin twins Shaqueem and Shaquille

The Bengals Andy Dalton threw for 418 yards, John Ross and Tyler Boyd gashed the Seattle secondary for a combined 15 catches 218 yards and two TD's. While the early temptaion is to throw and throw early, I think the Steelers need to establish the run and control the line of scrimmage. Seattle did a great job of shutting down Joe Mixon before he got injured and Gianni Benard only had 21 yards on 7 rushes. I would try to go old school and use the run to set up the pass. I am sure Seattle's secondary will try to take a page of of the Patriots defensive game plan. The Steelers offense would be well served to try to jump out in front of Seattle early and disrupt theor game-plan on offense and make them play from behind.

On Offense

seattle-seahawks-2019-nfl-draft-picks-da

It starts with QB Russell Wilson

Rookie WR DK Metcalf

WR Tyler Lockett

RB's Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny

powerful OL's Mike Iupati and Duane Brown

The Bengals had a successful defensive game-plan against Seattle in holding them to 4/12 on third down conversions, shutting down Seattle's vaunted rushing attack and holding Russell Wilson under 200 yards in total passing as well as sacking him 4 or 5 times. The Steelers defense will need to remain physical and eliminate mental lapses and breakdowns in communication that can lead to big plays.  Seattle would like to run the ball to set up the pass to Metcalf and Lockett. Both have the ability to burn the Steelers, but they are not as seasoned and consistent as New England's WR's.  The Steelers should have opportunity to get after Russell on passes if they can contain Carson and Penny early.  Hopefully, the offense will help control the ball and clock much better than last weekend and that should help bode well for the Steelers defense versus Wilson and company.

usa_today_11263042.0.jpg

Steelers Offensive Stars

Big Ben needs to get back to his TD' passing ways

Need a huge dose of James Connor

Ju Ju will be out to prove that he is a legit #1 WR

Mike Pouncey, David DeCastro and Big Al need to play like pro bowlers establishing the run and protecting Ben

Seattle plays physical football.  Surprisingly, they got outplayed by the Bengals, but like a good football team they found a way to win despite not playing their best football.   Seattle's defense would love to force Ben and company into making mistakes.  If the Steelers get behind on early downs Seattle will unleash Clowney and company to come after Ben.  Seattle's DL did an excellent job of stopping the Bengals ground attack.  It will be an early game for Seattle, so try to wake them up early with establishing the run.  Wear down the Seattle DL and the offense should be able to hit some big plays to Ju Ju, Holton, Vance, Washington, and yes Moncrief as well.

20190809pdSteelers03-1565409158.jpg

Defensive Stars

Devin Bush

Terrell Edmunds

Joe Haden

Heyward, Tuitt and Hargraves

Defensive Game-plan: No stupid penalties, no stupid mistakes,  be physical, attack, attack, and attack!

Pittsburgh-Steelers-OTA.jpg

When the Steelers are on offense: Do nothing out of the ordinary, just play sound fundamental football!

While it is chic and sexy to get pass happy and run exotic counters, resist the urge.  Pouncey, DeCastro, Fieler, Foster, Big Al and Chucks can open holes. Put a hat on a body and move someone.  James Connor is a downhill runner.  While Jalen Samuels offers a little more of a burst, he is still best running downhill.  Why get cute?  Punch these guys in mouth because they are going to try to hit you in it as well.

Use your best players in positions that will allow them to win and perform at their best. On third and one, don't run a sweep with Connor. Let him run the ball up the gut.  More often than not this OL will win those battles. Because our passing game has been a little off, get them some confidence by establishing the run and then throwing short to intermediate passes.  I believe that those completions will open up the deep ball.  Andy Dalton three for more than 400 yards against this secondary, so the urge will be there to pass, but show some discipline and establish a well rounded attack by running the ball. 

Ju Ju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson and Holton should have better success, if the offense establishes an identity.  Don't be all over the place with your game plan.  Allow Washington to run some routes other than a fly, deep post or deep out.  That connection needs to get better so that the entire offense can get better.  That helps Ju Ju and I seriously doubt that Moncrief has as abysmal game as he did in New England (Opening game jitters, nerves, lack of reps, loss of confidence, whatever).  He has to bounce back.  Get him an easy catch early and get him going.  Ryan Switzer can't be a featured offensive player as a check down.  He can't have more receptions than Ju Ju, Washington, Moncrief, Vance, Connor, or Samuels.  There are better play makers and more skillful offensive talent to get the ball into their hands.  Switzer has a role, but he is not best served getting more offensive touches and targets than anyone that I mentioned above.  He leads the team with 6 catches and a whopping 4.8 yards per reception average.  Gotta get Vance McDonald more involved in the offense as well.

Many may disagree with this statement, but the offense made the defense look bad in New England. They did very little to keep the chains moving, sustain drives or even flip the field position.  The offense was a whopping 3 of 12 on third down conversions.  Some of those failed attempts where a result of dropped passes and poor execution. This gave the ball back to Brady and sent a young defense back to wolves (so to speak).  By the end of the first quarter, the Patriots started asserting themselves because our offense just wasn't on the field much.  Against Seattle, they will need to sustain some drives to help out the defense and themselves in establishing their own identity. Right now the offense doesn't have one with Switzer being the top pass catcher and Connor only touching the ball  ten times rushing and four times receiving.

20171008_Steelers_Jags_0034-1500x900.jpg

When the Steelers Defense is on the field: They will need to eliminate stupid mental errors and the play makers need to make plays.

SNU_HeywardTuittHuddle.jpg

In 1984 Wendy's put out a commercial campaign with a little ole lady who coined the phrase, "Where's the Beef?'  In 2019 Steelers fans are saying where's the pressure, sacks and turnovers?"  Our defensive play makers have got to be defensive play makers. After a preseason of lighting it up with sacks and turnover, we did very little when it was for real.  No consistent pressure on Brady, no turnovers and one sack. Couple that with a lackluster offensive effort and you get another  beat-down in Foxboro, MA.  Bud Dupree continues to frustrate a many Steelers fan who thinks he has some skills.  He is one on one against a second year OT and get stonewalled by him most of the day despite his running mate Watt being double teamed.  Bud did chip in a sack later,, but did little to help an anemic Steelers offense get back on the field or slow down the Patriots.

I will say in the defenses defense, they got worn down by being on the field so long and so often.   the stat line is somewhat deceiving with the Patriots having the ball for 32 minutes to the Steelers 27 minutes and 67 plays to the Steelers 61.  The Patriots hit some big plays, the Steelers got the ball later and slowed things down, but did nothing from a points production standpoint. During that time the Patriots began to gash the tired Steelers defense running the ball.  Sometimes the best defense is a great ball and time controlling defense.  That aside, I was not as disappointed in the defenses overall effort as I was with some of the mental mistakes.

Bush and Kelly played decent games for debuting against the G.O.A.T. and savvy veteran QB in  Tom Brady.  He hit the Steelers down the middle a few times, but I also saw some plays being made by both. The secondary missed Sean Davis and for all of the great physical tools, Edmunds always seems to be a half step behind.  I think he had a shot at intercepting Brady's long pass to Josh Gordon. Instead of flattening him catch the ball.  Mike Hilton needs to regain the form of 2017.  Seattle does not have the receivers that New England does, but they do have a solid running attack and a very good QB in Russell Wilson who can hurt you with his arm or leg. 

Coaching: "We weren't ready for prime time!" "The standard is the standard!" "We're gonna unleash hell!" "Wasn't a very varsity effort."

BA5FF90B_9516_4837_83F3_E674E3902472.0.j

Yes he said it.  Those are Mike Tomlin quotes (Tomlinisms). Gone are the distractions from our Killer Bee's that stung us more than anyone else. Gone are the distractions, and the team is focused on playing football. What happened? You didn't think that New England was going to forget who they were playing nor where they going to come out raising a championship banner flat.  Maybe it is time to do some things different to ensure this team plays its best each week. Every game counts. You should have learned that last year.  It may be unfair to open on the road two years in a row and be set up to be the sacrificial lamb, but no one says you have to accept it.  It is bounce back week. Get the players focused on playing their game, imposing their will and dictating the terms of the game to Seattle.

Pittsburgh-Steelers-Mike-Tomlin-blasts-a

At least he didn't challenge a play. :D  Not one of the best efforts from OC Randy Fitchner.  While the defense is faster and seemed to match up better, I think they got wore down moreso than outplayed or even out coached this past weekend. P.S. Coach Tomlin looks  like he is thinking, "Ask me about AB one more damn time! I dare you! I double dare you!":D  run the ball and pass intelligently. Take what the defense gives you.  If they stack the line throw on them, if they go dime, run. Defense, make some plays. Sometimes you have to set the plate for the offense.  We could use some defensive pressure, a few sacks, a fumble or two and even an int or two. Haven't seen much of that since pre-season.  I still believe that this is a good football team. If the Steelers play their game they can beat anyone (well maybe except NE in NE) ouch!!!>:(

th?id=OIP.86oJk01qRddAix8XnDKQpAHaEK&pid

Prediction: I don't think the Steelers start their first two games win-less as in 2018. 

Steelers and Seahawks seem to go back and forth so it is now our turn to win at home.

Steelers over Seahawks 26 - 19 Offense tops 400 total yards and the defense gets a few sacks and a turnover.

• Like 1

I'll play along. Sunday 12:59 PM. I ain't doing these cupcake inefficient clowns any favors and giving them days to incorporate a gameplan. 

They need to fail and lose their job.

They SHOULD lose. Maybe zebras at home is a gov't bailout. But they should lose. The matchups favor Seattle. 

And they have a quarterback.