Game Day Thread Wk. 2 Steelers 0 - 1 vs. Seahawks 1 - 0

Steeler Hitman

These past two games have shown how poorly coached this team is.  Seahawks shot themselves in the foot so many times this game and all we did was give it right back to them. 

Butler is just so so so bad.  The constant "miscommunication" is inexcusable at this point.  He needs to go ASAP.  Fichtner makes this team far too pass heavy.  We don't have AB anymore, let's not call plays like we do (although it looked like he simplified the playbook for Rudolph and that was promising).  Instead we just have Moncrief handing the other team points on the regular.  Tomlin, I've been so-so on.  Really like him as a person and seems like a guy you want to play for but doesn't seem to have a great football mind.  The dumb penalties this team has been taking falls directly on Tomlin.

This team has the talent to go to the playoffs but the poor coaching and dumb mental mistakes are killing them.  And the source of those problems, the coaches, aren't going anywhere this season.  On the plus side, I can't say I care too much if Ben is out for a while.  He's looked completely lost these two games and Rudolph looked pretty impressive.  Wouldn't mind getting a longer look at him.

2 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

Butler is just so so so bad.  The constant "miscommunication" is inexcusable at this point.  He needs to go ASAP. 

As a DC, this annoys me more than anything else.  Either you aren't getting the right guys the calls, you don't have the right guys, or you are unable to coach it.  This has been an issue through 3 secondary coaches, while the DC/HC has remained the same.  It's kinda clear that those two are the source of the issue.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

As a DC, this annoys me more than anything else.  Either you aren't getting the right guys the calls, you don't have the right guys, or you are unable to coach it.  This has been an issue through 3 secondary coaches, while the DC/HC has remained the same.  It's kinda clear that those two are the source of the issue.

It's truly embarrassing.  Under your first season teaching the scheme, it makes sense.  Three years later though, it shows poor teaching or your scheme is too complex and you have to simplify things. 

On top of that, opposing offenses are always getting favorable matchups against our personnel.  He is rarely putting our guys in a position to win and it makes it hard to evaluate some of these players (e.g., why was Edmunds covering locket so frequently?  He didn't get killed by him but that should not be happening so often)

2 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

It's truly embarrassing.  Under your first season teaching the scheme, it makes sense.  Three years later though, it shows poor teaching or your scheme is too complex and you have to simplify things. 

On top of that, opposing offenses are always getting favorable matchups against our personnel.  He is rarely putting our guys in a position to win and it makes it hard to evaluate some of these players (e.g., why was Edmunds covering locket so frequently?  He didn't get killed by him but that should not be happening so often)

I don't think it's either to be honest.  I think he's just not coaching the right things.  Combine that with bad play calling and it's doom city.  Take the back to back big plays last week:

~Double pass had over pursuit, when the Pats run that play a lot.  DL need to stick to their OL, and the LB in coverage on White needs to go with him.

~Then the very next play, rushed to the line, he calls a corner blitz with man defense against 10 personal.  

Like that's bad coaching combined with back play calling, topped off with bad tackling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don't think it's either to be honest.  I think he's just not coaching the right things.  Combine that with bad play calling and it's doom city.  Take the back to back big plays last week:

~Double pass had over pursuit, when the Pats run that play a lot.  DL need to stick to their OL, and the LB in coverage on White needs to go with him.

~Then the very next play, rushed to the line, he calls a corner blitz with man defense against 10 personal.  

Like that's bad coaching combined with back play calling, topped off with bad tackling.

Fair point.  The amazing thing is two years ago, we had horrible communication on defense and horrible tackling.  Going into last year, they are talking all off-season about fixing communication and tackling.  Last year they were better in both area but 0 splash plays.  This offseason they keep talking about the splash plays but now they are back to having horrible communication and HORRIBLE tackling.  Truly maddening.

56 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm about sick of Moncrief and saying that also requires me to be honest about the fact I wanted Moncrief, thought it was going to be a good move and was happy with it. Damn was I wrong. Bite the bullet. Trade a 1st, Moncrief and a 2021 pick to Miami for Minkah, bring back Eli, get rid or Switzer, let Johnson return kicks and punts. 

I like this idea, Minkah for a RD2 is a steal anyways, I can't see why he isn't traded already.

maybe trade chickillo and burns  as well (if possible?)  and then recover skipper from the giants?