Game Day Thread Wk. 2 Steelers 0 - 1 vs. Seahawks 1 - 0

Steeler Hitman

some goods and bads again, but far more goods this week! there were some reasons for some optimism!

the defense was bad yeah and let too many in, but lockett and metcalf are a lethal combo; there is a very good reason seattle jumped us to take metcalf, let me tell you this. further, there were some big plays this week! the d got their sack on and two fumble recoveries as well; fumble recoveries are largely random but that was the speed on show we invested in

juju showed again he himself is capable of WR1 duties. there are some question marks on the other receivers but washington’s proving he has come a fair way from last year and diontae this time got more targets than moncrief.

not going to touch moncrief bc he sucked immense *** again lol, hoping he can turn it around if he’s not cut

it’s important to note that yeah while the offense didn’t look great with ben on the field we did lead them at the half. i am not trying to insinuate mason lost us the game - that’s on the d for letting in all those scores - but irregardless of how bleh ben looked we were leading and scoring more points than the opposition, i hear, is generally not a bad thing

now in to mason... how good did he look! first snaps at this level and he looked up to it! so even if you think this season is done for, which is a stupid thing for any non dolphins cardinals or jets team to think after two weeks, you’ve got to say we may still have a signal caller we can build and reload around... very happy for mason who really looked the goods today!

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

One thing annoying me through two weeks is the lack of creativity to get JuJu the ball. 

You didnt get the memo? Without AB we can no longer run WR screens. They are banned.

BANNED!

But seriously -- how do you not map out ways to get simple, early completions and have your best player touch the football, like, I dont know...1 time in 25 minutes?

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

You didnt get the memo? Without AB we can no longer run WR screens. They are banned.

BANNED!

But seriously -- how do you not map out ways to get simple, early completions and have your best player touch the football, like, I dont know...1 time in 25 minutes?

Yea I don’t get it. You do a quick screen, quick hits, quick slants. Get the ball in his hands early. It seems as though teams are going to start right on him and jam. So put him set back in a trips or move him around to get a clean release. 

37 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yea I don’t get it. You do a quick screen, quick hits, quick slants. Get the ball in his hands early. It seems as though teams are going to start right on him and jam. So put him set back in a trips or move him around to get a clean release. 

Yeah I haven’t seen enough to understand if the coverages are just taking the opportunity for the screen game away or not...but as you mention there’s other ways to get him the ball. 

Just seems like we don’t have a plan for anything. No even attempts for JuJu until after 25 minutes of play? We go 5 wide with running backs outside to just run 5 routes...not actually take advantage of matchups. 

We do things to do them. We don’t do anything with a plan. Hopefully that changes with Rudolph under center (literally...under center). 

16 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Yeah I haven’t seen enough to understand if the coverages are just taking the opportunity for the screen game away or not...but as you mention there’s other ways to get him the ball. 

Just seems like we don’t have a plan for anything. No even attempts for JuJu until after 25 minutes of play? We go 5 wide with running backs outside to just run 5 routes...not actually take advantage of matchups. 

We do things to do them. We don’t do anything with a plan. Hopefully that changes with Rudolph under center (literally...under center). 

It really looks like Fitchner runs a very basic plan with the idea "my guys are better than yours".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It really looks like Fitchner runs a very basic plan with the idea "my guys are better than yours".

Which was fun when Haley did it, because we did...but just as annoying I’m not realizing how much easier you can make life by doing simple things to help your guys. 

McDaniels is gonna make AB look like the Steelers were holding him back. 

Said it last year and it’s ringing true again this year. If you go 3 and out to start a game, you messed up your week of practice and planning. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

McDaniels is gonna make AB look like the Steelers were holding him back. 

This is the only one I do disagree with.  I think he got really creative at times with AB.  I think the one I see them using him on is those jet sweeps; which we tended to shy away from to avoid big hits on AB.  But AB was often our motion man, set back guy, and back in the trips.

Personally I think size has to do with that.  5'9"/10" 180 AB on the line vs 6'1"/2" 215/220 Juju on the line, you rather have Juju there.  But I think what makes Juju dangerous is his sneaky speed.  AB was good at getting off the line because you couldn't get a hand on him.  I think Juju can't do that, he needs to be more physical.  Get him to watch Dez Bryant, TO, Calvin Johnson film.  Those were guys who if you got physical with him would just chuck the defender 5 yards.