More Trub fallout, now he can't talk about past performances!

malagabears

I dunno.  I really don't see ignoring the past as being a positive and what's more it sounds a bit hypocritical if it's Nagy's idea doesn't it?

All winter long and all through OTAs and camp there was a constant focus on that loss to Philly but now your QB isn't permitted to critique his own performance in his last game.  That's not training wheel it's more like pre-school nurturing of an adult.

I hear a lot of guys using the word "fixable" which is about as non-specific as it gets.  If by fixable what's meant is the OL needs to block better, Mitch needs to think and throw better, and Nagy needs to get his head out of his call sheet and get his *** into the bigger picture of being a HC well then I guess that's about as specific as anything we'll get.....to which my response is......DUH.

I work on friends guitars and basses in addition to my own.  One came to me with a neck so bowed William Tell could have used it to shoot arrows off his kid's head.  My buddy asked me if it was fixable.  My answer was yeah but not today.  It's gonna take far longer than that and need a whole lot work and TLC to get that mess straightened out and playable again.

So here I sit hoping that offense isn't much like that guitar.  :/

I heard it live, I heard it discussed afterward on talk radio. To me it just adds to the idea that Mitch is not being able to be Mitch, they are trying to mold him into something who he is not but something he is accepting. Ask him what's he is comfortable doing and create plays that allow him to be successful. I'm actually starting to think that this is less a Mitch problem and more a coaching problem.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dafreak said:

I heard it live, I heard it discussed afterward on talk radio. To me it just adds to the idea that Mitch is not being able to be Mitch, they are trying to mold him into something who he is not but something he is accepting. Ask him what's he is comfortable doing and create plays that allow him to be successful. I'm actually starting to think that this is less a Mitch problem and more a coaching problem.

Once again this is a non story. If you heard him say it you would've heard everyone including him laugh about it. He talked about the game at length

Don't make this into something it isn't

4 hours ago, dafreak said:

Now we're at least looking at all possibilities.  Great post.

IMHO this shoots much closer to the mark of what I've been describing.

Nagy wants him to learn to play his way.  Mitch wants to please Nagy and his staff so he's obsessing about learning how to do it that way as precisely as possible instead of finding a more comfortable way to do it that also works better for him more naturally.

If this is the case it's not all that dissimilar from what Rodgers and LaFleur are going through where he's being required to line up and operate in a manner that's not 100% Aaron Rodgers.  If that's also the case with Mitch he'll never learn how to improvise himself.

I think it's great that we have an innovative offensive minded HC who can also run an offense and coach our QB put we should not put innovation over the basics of blocking and execution.  How many Super Bowls has Nagy's offense won?  How many has Brady won?

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Once again this is a non story. If you heard him say it you would've heard everyone including him laugh about it. He talked about the game at length

Don't make this into something it isn't

Don't dismiss it.  It may not be nothing after all.  Something isn't clicking and we should all be asking why and looking for answers.

1) Mitch showed rather consistent progress throughout the 2018 season.  2) Year two Nagy adds more complexity to the offense by adding more of his schemes and Mitch has to learn to grasp and execute them. 3) Mitch struggles all summer long mastering these additions.  These are facts BD.  Facts lead to conclusions and I don't believe I've stretched any of them here.

Now, it's entirely possible year two will go much like year one and again Mitch will grow into the offense again as the season progresses but we're already off to a very bad start.  Much worse than last year.  And I believe many of us are correctly identifying at least some of the problem because it coincides with what Bears beat writers are also observing.  We can't all be wrong about it can we?

I'm not implying the problem is terminal.  While others have been running to their 2020 Draft Guides looking for college QBs to draft I've been saying we need to stay the course throughout this season then see what we have and what we don't have and make any moves based on that.  If Mitch fails to progress enough our need for a vet who can challenge him may be greater than for another rookie.

But one conclusion we can draw now is that maybe some of the analysts were correct about Mitch stumbling more this year than last and in reality it's not so much the defense who will regress as Mitch and the offense.  But if we score less on defense or ST and Mitch can't compensate for that offensively we will lose more games this year than last.  That's a logical conclusion.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Don't dismiss it.  It may not be nothing after all.  Something isn't clicking and we should all be asking why and looking for answers.

1) Mitch showed rather consistent progress throughout the 2018 season.  2) Year two Nagy adds more complexity to the offense by adding more of his schemes and Mitch has to learn to grasp and execute them. 3) Mitch struggles all summer long mastering these additions.  These are facts BD.  Facts lead to conclusions and I don't believe I've stretched any of them here.

Now, it's entirely possible year two will go much like year one and again Mitch will grow into the offense again as the season progresses but we're already off to a very bad start.  Much worse than last year.  And I believe many of us are correctly identifying at least some of the problem because it coincides with what Bears beat writers are also observing.  We can't all be wrong about it can we?

I'm not implying the problem is terminal.  While others have been running to their 2020 Draft Guides looking for college QBs to draft I've been saying we need to stay the course throughout this season then see what we have and what we don't have and make any moves based on that.  If Mitch fails to progress enough our need for a vet who can challenge him may be greater than for another rookie.

But one conclusion we can draw now is that maybe some of the analysts were correct about Mitch stumbling more this year than last and in reality it's not so much the defense who will regress as Mitch and the offense.  But if we score less on defense or ST and Mitch can't compensate for that offensively we will lose more games this year than last.  That's a logical conclusion.

What? I'm referring to the fact that people are discussing that Mitch said he was told not to comment on the Green Bay game. That's it. I'm not talking about his play, his relationships, his talent, etc.

The headline is click bait. He said it, the entire room laughed including him, and he answered every question about the game thereafter.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

Some of you guys are overreacting to this...

I get why they don't want Mitch to talk about the last game.  It's week 2.  Dwelling on a bad week 1 performance isn't going to do anybody any good. 

He already answered to the media following the loss last Thursday and I'm pretty sure he feels terribly about that performance...nobody needs to remind him.  Also it's not a productive exercise to ask him about the thought process when it came to certain play calls.  Why tip anything off?  Some questions just don't need to be asked. 

If anyone is trying to rattle this guy's confidence it's the Chicago media and not the team.

Edited by topwop1