Taco TRADED to FA for roster spot

Matts4313

If we were to trade for Minkah, we would be buying a versatile, talented DB for roughly 4 years, $16M (give or take) including the fourth year option while our entire defensive backfield is on one- and two-year deals. Could see him playing safety for two years before moving to CB like Byron did.

It arguably makes more sense from a long-term perspective than a short-term one. And he would for sure help in the short-term as well.

36 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Base 4 DBs

Nickle 5 DBs

Dime 6 DBs

Im sure we could make it work

I dont disagree, but it doesnt seem like the coaching staff is willing to sit Heath.

Are we going to bring him and disrupt chemistry?

Base 4 DBs -Is he going to play over Byron, Cheeto, Woods or Heath? Is he and will he are different questions. Id love to move Woods over and have Minkah play FS but I dont see coaching staff doing that.

Nickle - I have no issues playing him in the slot over Brown, but I dont see the coaches messing with chemistry. This also shifts Lewis from playing at all.

Dime- Again, Lewis doesnt play. 

No issues from adding talent and would love to add Minkah, just someone wont have playing time this year. No Byron and AB next year, could roll with Lewis, Cheeto and Minkah.

17 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

It makes more sense to get a strong safety and save our draft picks.  I'm in favor of Reshad Jones for Taco straight up.

I mean...wouldn't be terrible, but I'd rather have the younger, better player. 

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Lol Dolphins are so dumb. 

Apparently Minkah was upset because he didnt know if he should bulk up (SS/LB) or slim down (FS/CB) and did not feel comfortable trying to play both,

it needs to be asked, Can he be great at one position? or is he a "jack of all trades" I don't want a decent at many positions but not great at one.

6 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

I think he graded out as the best slot corner last year

But that's the confusing part to me he was thinking about bulking up to be a safety or linebacker and yet was the best slot Corner. Usually slot Corners out of smallest fastest skinny guys, besides wasn't he supposed to be a top cornerback coming out of college? And why would the Dolphins give up on him so early when he's supposedly such a great talent? Something does not make sense

I do think the idea of trading a 2nd round draft pick for him, assuming no major red flags, would be a no-brainer. He's super affordable, and DB is our biggest question mark moving forward.

One thing to consider here is that I don't believe the Cowboys really loved Fitzpatrick coming out of the draft. When rumors that he could fall a little bit surfaced, I remember the Cowboys beat writers shutting down the idea.

If you use a 2nd round pick, you get 4 years (minus a couple of games) of service, just like you would if you drafted him in the 2nd round.

And his cap hit for the first 3 years are just $1M, $1.9M, and $2.7M. That's basically the contract of a 2nd round pick, too.

Miami should have no shortage of offers if they are willing to trade him for a 2nd.