Week 1: So we're really doing this, huh?

Bianconero

1 hour ago, Akomplice said:

Watching the game via my DVR there was one thing that was glaring, we need some linebackers that know how to play football. We might have added some speed to the second level, but our pursuit, lane recognition is down right terrible.

completely agree. darron lee is not an NFL ILB. Would not mind us targeting that position in FA along with many others to upgrade this roster significantly 

Lets relax on Lee for the moment.  Come week 10 and he's still playing like this we can be concerned.  For now lets all just calm down.

We can't do this for 16 more weeks it will drive us crazy.

Lets focus on the good things.  Shell looks like a RT, Stewart should be a nice slot weapon (hope we get him the ball more because he has that YAC ability), the safeties look like they belong, and Burris could be a #2 CB.  

Hey Ekill even Winters played well lol.

It went exactly as we all knew it would.  Shady and Tyrod dig damage on the ground, we kept the offense safe and the D was going to wear down eventually.

On to 0-2 next week.  Darold and Rosen look good so things are off to a great start.

17 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Lets relax on Lee for the moment.  Come week 10 and he's still playing like this we can be concerned.  For now lets all just calm down.

Lets focus on the good things.  Shell looks like a RT, Stewart should be a nice slot weapon (hope we get him the ball more because he has that YAC ability), the safeties look like they belong, and Burris could be a #2 CB.  

It went exactly as we all knew it would.  Shady and Tyrod dig damage on the ground, we kept the offense safe and the D was going to wear down eventually.

On to 0-2 next week.  Darold and Rosen look good so things are off to a great start.

LOL he did! Trust me I want to like him. When we gave him that contract I was like WTF but if anything, he is a grinder so I respect it. The poor run blocking overall is concerning as that is supposed to really be what an offensive line takes pride in. Grain of salt though, they have a nasty D line, MUCH better than ours. 

I'll agree on Lee, we're being harsh, but my god the instincts just arent there and its clear he got by on pure athleticism in college. We should be playing a 4-3 under with this personal and Lee would look alot better and maybe Mo would too. 

Good thing we didnt sign Hightower...we would have won yesterday lol. 

Is it too early to Mock? Greeny where you at your up first...MOCK and make us all feel better

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

The tools are there and he's really new to the position (what did he play ILB for like 2 years at OSU) so lets give him the benefit of the doubt.  He's still thinking out there and not just reacting.

agreed. the lane recognition from both him and davis was just soooo bad. davis just isnt good. jenkins set a nice edge yesterday but we need that on the strong side as well. it was a very good offensive line and the best rushing attack in football. Our defensive line is good...but lets be honest its not that great. Leo is great, everyone else is mediocre. We have to get better everywhere and we have a few really good building blocks even for a team destined to finish bottom 5.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think I'm on the Rosen express at the moment. The kid is extremely intelligent and has his head on his shoulders. I thought what he had to say about college football exploitation was SPOT ON. 

I do like Darnold in that I think he has this kind of Roethlisberger/Culpepper thing going on, but he's got way more risk without having substantially more upside than Rosen.

I like them both. I think I just prefer Rosen and his polish just a little more at the moment. His tape from year-to-year just shows such enormous improvement. It's crazy. If he hadn't gotten hurt last year there's no way we're talking about him in any other context than the clear-cut #1. Look at his improvement from freshman to sophomore year in doing the little things -- particularly in his throwing mechanics, less erratic under pressure, and transitioning to a QB who plays under center.

As for Lee, we can wait to judge a little. Be nice if we switched full-time to a 4-3. 

36 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I'm officially done

Elflein looks like an All-Pro

Fire these idiots

Only thing I can think of is that they were high on Johnson. If that's the case then I understand the thought process, hindsight would like to have him like many of us said.

This team is built to lose, this team is a trainwreck and you just needed to prepare yourself that we had no chance at winning anything this season. Just get through this season and onto nexxt season where we may have hope of turning it around with a good offseason. If we get the 1st overall pick,  draft the franchise QB, use the $100+ mil in cap space to sign some players. Hire a new HC and maybe GM.  Todd Bowles is a **** HC, plays to not lose instead of to win. Awful hire. 

5 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Johnson has never been good ever though

Mac just  hasn't shown much interest in the offensive line and Bowles isn't like Mangini, a defensive coach that understood that a strong  OL makes everything better, including the defense, simply by being able to run block and keep the D off the field. IMO none of our OL are strong run blockers and pass protection is easier when most of the passes are within 5 yards of scrimmage.. unfortunately we're not going to win many games when the QB is averaging under 5yards per pass attempt.

I am going to take away some positives from Week 1. First, if we lose every single week because of bad QB and RB play, then that is an encouraging sign (because our oldest players are at those positions, and they won't be here next year). If we can't run the ball and our QB makes bad mistakes, then if we have to lose I'd rather lose that way. I thought Kony Ealy looked pretty good, which is encouraging. Leonard Williams was a hair away from doing some damage to Taylor on a couple of occasions. He will continue to be beastly all season. Adams played very well. Burris played well. That is encouraging. I didn't think the linebackers were as bad as people are suggesting. And I like our new kicker, his leg is strong.

Now the bad. I hate to say this but I think people are right about Mo Wilkerson. He just doesn't seem to care anymore. McLendon, too. He seemed to be dogging it at times on Sunday. Also, the playcalling by Morton. WTF! Slow developing screens, ugly short-yardage tosses. I know it's one game but he did not impress. The OC needs to call plays to our team strengths. I didn't think he did that much in Week 1.

Another positive note is Will Tye. I think he is a serviceable player.

Overall, I thought we could have won the game if we had a QB. I don't think we can ask for more this season.

9 hours ago, Rich51 said:

Mac just  hasn't shown much interest in the offensive line and Bowles isn't like Mangini, a defensive coach that understood that a strong  OL makes everything better, including the defense, simply by being able to run block and keep the D off the field. IMO none of our OL are strong run blockers and pass protection is easier when most of the passes are within 5 yards of scrimmage.. unfortunately we're not going to win many games when the QB is averaging under 5yards per pass attempt.

I disagree actually.  He made a move for Carpenter as basically his first action as GM, he resigned Winters to stabilize the RG spot, he traded up for Shell and traded for a stopgap in Clady, and there were rumors once Tunsil dropped he was trying to trade up for him.  

I'd say he actually has put a lot of focus on the O-line actually.  Not prime resources like a 1st or 2nd rounder but little tweaks here and there to improve the line. 

Shell looks good and Winters and Carp appear to be here for the next few years.  We still need a future LT (no more stop gap type guys) and to see if we need a C (Johnson has the rest of the year to prove otherwise) but I think Mac views that as a priority based on his actions so far. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I disagree actually.  He made a move for Carpenter as basically his first action as GM, he resigned Winters to stabilize the RG spot, he traded up for Shell and traded for a stopgap in Clady, and there were rumors once Tunsil dropped he was trying to trade up for him.  

I'd say he actually has put a lot of focus on the O-line actually.  Not prime resources like a 1st or 2nd rounder but little tweaks here and there to improve the line. 

Shell looks good and Winters and Carp appear to be here for the next few years.  We still need a future LT (no more stop gap type guys) and to see if we need a C (Johnson has the rest of the year to prove otherwise) but I think Mac views that as a priority based on his actions so far. 

He signed Carpenter cheap because he was a bust in Seattle, but I agree it was a good pickup. When he took over we had 30 year old former pro bowlers at LT and C and we were wide open at both guard spots and RT. IMO he should have been looking at a Brick replacement in the draft, someone who could play RT and slip over to LT when Brick was finished. Centers are also good investments because most can play G. In 3 drafts he didn't touch those positions. Instead he signed two LTs coming off injury and two fifth round lineman who were never expected to play LT. We might have lucked out with Shell but it's still too early to tell.  All of this is naturally my opinion but I feel we spent too much for Winters. He's average at best. He also gave Ijalana over 4m a year after no one else wanted him as a 2016 free agenct and to top it off ijalana had a lousy 2016 playing at or close to the vet min.

Archived