Week 1: So we're really doing this, huh?

Bianconero

7 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I can't fault Macc for not trading Mo, we tried to sign him or trade him for at least 2 years but couldn't get equal return. If Macc let Mo go for a 2nd the fans would have gone bananas, unfortunately we would have loved that move now.

it sucks, the cap situation at the time was pretty awful. just a move that really didnt work out...where have we heard this before lol?

On 9/12/2017 at 4:54 PM, Rockice_8 said:

I was just pointing out that he really didn't ignore it as much as you think.  RT's and OG's are found in the mid to late rounds every draft so I wouldn't call Shell luck.  He tried to get Tunsil too so it's clear he understands it is a priority.

I bet this year after we draft our QB he adds a LT with one of those 2nd rounders. 

Maybe the biggest issue being discussed around the league according to Pat Kirwan is the poor quality of OL play by such a large percentage of teams, including the supposed main contenders this year(Seattle/Houston/Giants). 

The theory is that OL are harder to scout now by pro teams now that so many college offenses feature these non traditional styles. They say that's why you see so many first round OL prospects failing to live up to their draft grades, when they used to be about the safest players that a team could select.

Macc comes from the Texans, and the philosophy he seems to have inherited is not using premium choices on OL, probably in response to the negative trend. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with it, but it is what it is. Not taking the Ohio State kid, when he fell perfectly to the third round pick in April, just seems like a lack of priority. WR's at the level he took them with picks he gained are a dime a dozen. OL is a premium position.

12 hours ago, ekill08x said:

snacks got 9 mil and clearly isnt just a 3-4 NT. Considering we had 3 DEs and 2 spots...it turned out to be a monumental mistake. We needed to trade mo and it just never happened. Losing snacks was a huge crutch to that DL. People forget how long it took to get a good NT and how much it meant to our defense so I am paying the NT every single time. At this point it doesnt matter its just another hole we need to fill moving forward. List is getting long

He got 9 mill from a 4-3 team that was gonna play him more than 53% of the defensive snaps, we've had good NT's since Kris Jenkins it's not that important of a position any more being that no one sticks to a base 3-4 anymore

Snacks 2015 - 563 snaps for 53.86%

Snacks 2016 - 675 snaps for 60.63%

Both years he was the top run Defender in NFL. In fact he's been the best run Defender (by percentage of stops) for 4 years in a row. The league still runs the ball 40-45%

On 9/15/2017 at 6:59 AM, Dr.O said:

He got 9 mill from a 4-3 team that was gonna play him more than 53% of the defensive snaps, we've had good NT's since Kris Jenkins it's not that important of a position any more being that no one sticks to a base 3-4 anymore

Its extremely important...we cant stop the run what so ever. Snacks would be a difference maker on this defense. 

Archived