Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

patriotsheatyan

Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

• Mayfield
    • Jackson

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a2277fb9b97161727d8

I was hoping we would’ve waited until a few more games before this comparison was brought up.

I will say this Lamar Jackson is 22 years old and Baker Mayfield is 24 years old. So in this debate, which I’m sure will lean heavily towards Baker, we can’t  discount that type of age score and potential development.

Also FWIW I had them ranked 1A/1B coming out of college. Both bring elite translation indicators for winning over to the next level: accuracy and rushing ability.

In this debate, its tough, but with Lamar’s improved accuracy, to a point that’s beyond where even I thought he could get to... I’ll take Lamar Jackson. But I’m also very much biased as a Ravens fan.

Edited by diamondbull424

Baker, for now. If Lamar takes the leap as a passer, this is a completely different discussion.

I love Baker’s personality, but if I owned a franchise, I’d probably rather have a Jackson-personality than a Mayfield-personality. Baker will probably cool off as he ages, but if they’re close as passers (and Lamar is obviously the far superior runner and hasn’t shown durability issues yet) then I’d lean towards Jackson.

Well, I had Lamar Jackson over Baker as draft prospects, but that wasn't because I thought Jackson would do what he did Week 1.  I just didn't like Baker very much.

If you'd asked me a week ago, I would have said Baker easily, but it seems like (based on one week of play) that Jackson has developed way, way faster as a passer than I thought he would.  So, to keep yoyoing, give me Jackson right now.

• Like 1

The Ravens have smartly built around Lamar Jackson's strengths thus far in 2018. They have 2 very solid TEs, Brown and Boykin look like dynamic deep threats, and their running game is dangerous, on top of having one of the best defenses in the NFL. 50% of Lamar's passes last week came off of play action, and they've been giving their OT's help with a TE and/or RB in pass protection. Their heavy personnel provides major mismatch advantages, forcing teams to choose between getting gashed in the running game, or having single coverage on the outside if they bring an extra defender into the box.

27 minutes ago, Danger said:

Lets at least wait until 1/4th of the way through the season before we start using our recency bias lol.

LaMar Jackson had a nice day against a historically bad team/ or a team that is throwing.

It baffles me that people take the 1st game of the season and draw conclusions off it. In any sport! It happens every year and nobody bothers to learn. 

Anyways, it’s too early in either qbs career to conclude anything. 

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

It baffles me that people take the 1st game of the season and draw conclusions off it. In any sport! It happens every year and nobody bothers to learn. 

Anyways, it’s too early in either qbs career to conclude anything. 

Well to be fare. People took the first playoff game for Lamar Jackson as a 21 year old QB and used that as the needed ammunition to say he was a) trash b) would never develop as a passer c) a running back d) wracking up garbage time stats or e) All of the above.

Whats more it’s not just Miami game, he performed well against the Chiefs, Chargers, and Browns last season in our matchups; but just had noted accuracy flaws. He could read the field and made great decisions to get the ball to the correct targets... he just sometimes had those erratic or lame duck throws. The arm strength and the decision making was there, just not the accuracy.

This season he’s displayed improved ball accuracy all throughout camp, preseason, and then just lit up the Dolphins with it. Some of those touchdown passes were throws that if not executed perfectly end up as either incomplete passes (Snead), caught for no gain (Brown’s second score that came against Minkah), or sacks (Boykin).

Both Jackson and Baker were back to back Heisman winners. Jackson won it as a 19 year old QB and was the runner up at 20. He’s the same age as Kyler Murray. He’s taller, bigger, and faster than Baker. Both have similar level arm strength- I’d give the edge to Jackson though, but Baker is one of the most accurate passers I’ve seen and very quick to process and make passing decisions and those are indicators that he can be an elite QB.

Both players have talent around them. Baker has a QB record of 6-8 and Jackson has a QB record of 7-1. Baker took a team that were perennial/historic losers and got them to 6 wins in his first season. Jackson took a team that had the 31st ranked rushing attack through 9 weeks of the season and turned it into such an explosively historic attack that it finished with the 2nd ranked unit for the year and got a 4-5 record team to 10-6 and into the playoffs for the first time in 3 seasons.

So I agree that we need more time to analyze both of these players and I’m not saying you were one of those that wrote Jackson completely off and called him a RB, but just saying that this isn’t an overreaction thread. I was hoping we would wait until both have had time to show more this season as I thought the responses would be more flagrant against Jackson, but this is a legitimate debate unlike the one from the week before (Rosen).

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1