The NCAA and Players Profiting from Their Likeness Thread

ramssuperbowl99

4:25 p.m.

Lawmakers have sent the governor a bill to allow athletes at California colleges to hire agents and sign endorsement deals.

It sets up a confrontation with the NCAA that could jeopardize the athletic futures of powerhouse programs like USC, UCLA and Stanford.

The bill would allow athletes at California schools to hire agents and be paid for the use of their name, image or likeness. It would stop universities and the NCAA from banning athletes that take the money.

The Senate passed the bill 39-0 on Wednesday, a few days after it got an endorsement from NBA superstar LeBron James.

It now goes to Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who has not said whether he’ll sign it.

The NCAA Board of Governors sent a letter Wednesday to Newsom saying the bill would eventually stop California colleges from participating in NCAA competitions.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

I am definitely OK with this, but some thoughts I have on it:  

1.) How do you balance paying the athletes from the money-making programs, such as football and basketball, versus other, smaller programs?  

2.) Are they allowed to make money off their likeness while at school?  Again, this is something that would differ the money-making programs from the smaller ones.  

This is a long time coming for sure, and for me, I want to make sure that all of the athletes get treated equally here.  

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am definitely OK with this, but some thoughts I have on it:  

1.) How do you balance paying the athletes from the money-making programs, such as football and basketball, versus other, smaller programs?  

2.) Are they allowed to make money off their likeness while at school?  Again, this is something that would differ the money-making programs from the smaller ones.  

This is a long time coming for sure, and for me, I want to make sure that all of the athletes get treated equally here.  

1. You don't. It's an inherently fair system. Every athlete is equally able to profit of their likeness, so there is nothing discriminatory about the law itself. 

2. Yes.

I've never had a problem with athletes profiting off of their own likenesses and/or side gigs, so long as they do it themselves.

I'm also a firm believer that if your coach is allowed to take a new job without sitting out a year, a coach is fired during your playing career, etc., you should be able to transfer without penalty/consequence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The NCAA will find a way to strike back. They’re like President Snow. No uprisings or even talk of such. Can’t wait to see how it plays out. 

The Pac 12 California schools should get the Northwestern players to represent them in court, and during the opening statements, Northwestern and the Pac 12 schools merge to form a union. It would be epic.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=7207733

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

The NCAA will find a way to strike back. They’re like President Snow. No uprisings or even talk of such. Can’t wait to see how it plays out. 

They have already come out and said this will make the schools ineligible. The law doesn't take effect for 4 years, which is the state of California putting a hard end date on when the NCAA needs to nut up and accept reality.