The NCAA and Players Profiting from Their Likeness Thread

ramssuperbowl99

12 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

This topic has finally headed in a direction that could get all of us banned

Image result for elmo fire gif

It;s a tight rope but I feel you all have handled it well.  This kind of discussion is obviously tied very much to what happens off the field, but it's good to have these discussions if we can keep them on the right track, which I think we have.  

In any case, I'm not so sure you can pay football and basketball players, and leave every other sport out there.  Unless they plan to pull scholarships from those programs entirely, and disperse more to the smaller sports programs.  Because aside from a few of the big baseball schools, the football and/or basketball programs essentially pay for the other sports to operate.  Which brings up another question entirely- baseball.  Are they included or not?  Just look at the 2018 Oregon State team- they had two first rounders in the 2018 draft (Madrigal and Larnach) and a second rounder (Grenier) and this year, Adley Rutcschman went #1 overall.  That's a lot of talent, so under a Title iX, do they deserve to get paid as well?  

There's a lot of questions, and I think they've got to cut it off at being able to make money off of their likeness and autograph signings, and MAYBE a stipend to the players based off how much money the program brings in.  

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It;s a tight rope but I feel you all have handled it well.  This kind of discussion is obviously tied very much to what happens off the field, but it's good to have these discussions if we can keep them on the right track, which I think we have.  

You just have low expectations for us, which is accurate.

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In any case, I'm not so sure you can pay football and basketball players, and leave every other sport out there.  Unless they plan to pull scholarships from those programs entirely, and disperse more to the smaller sports programs.  Because aside from a few of the big baseball schools, the football and/or basketball programs essentially pay for the other sports to operate.  Which brings up another question entirely- baseball.  Are they included or not?  Just look at the 2018 Oregon State team- they had two first rounders in the 2018 draft (Madrigal and Larnach) and a second rounder (Grenier) and this year, Adley Rutcschman went #1 overall.  That's a lot of talent, so under a Title iX, do they deserve to get paid as well?  

There's a lot of questions, and I think they've got to cut it off at being able to make money off of their likeness and autograph signings, and MAYBE a stipend to the players based off how much money the program brings in.  

Sure you can. For Power 5 conferences, the athletic departments are well funded, so it's just numbers on a page. Money in, money out.

Lawyers are smart enough to argue that some percentage of revenue wouldn't be against Title IX, judges are reasonable enough to establish that as case law, and if not, legislatures are trying to fix this already. If in 5 years we really can't because of the legal system, laws can amended and tweaked so that the system reflects what society says it should reflect.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Richard Burr (R, NC), who is a Senator. He's not seeking re-election in 2022 because, like his name implies, he's a ****. Ironically enough, he signed the "Taxpayer Protection Pledge", which said he would oppose tax increases for any reason.

EDIT:

And in case that irony was irony-y enough for you, this actually happened.

@Thelonebillsfan you wanna take this one?

Free market for me, not for thee. 

Nothing new here. 

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Id argue football (NBA is changing the rule soon) is different since a legal monopoly has conspired with the NCAA to deny adults the ability to be compensated for their labor UNTIL they wait an arbitrary three years. Nothing like this exists anywhere else.

Ergo, to me at least, its ok for football athletes to skim football revenue, since their avenue to professionalism is blocked. 

• Like 1

Is there any info on what EA paid for the rights to use the colleges in NCAA football?

I'm wondering what that would mean per player if there would be a 50-50 split between colleges and players (a bit like in NFL, where if i'm not mistaken close to 50% of the media revenue has to be spend by the teams in the salary cap).

On 11/4/2019 at 8:49 AM, Roninho said:

Is there any info on what EA paid for the rights to use the colleges in NCAA football?

I'm wondering what that would mean per player if there would be a 50-50 split between colleges and players (a bit like in NFL, where if i'm not mistaken close to 50% of the media revenue has to be spend by the teams in the salary cap).

This is the closest I could find- it is what each school was paid for them to be in the game.  As you can expect, trying to search this now has a lot of links to this current news discussion and the potential for a new NCAA game, not anything related to fees for the game.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/08/22/ncaa-football-video-game-is-worth-over-75000-per-year-for-top-teams/#7745edab26d4

• 5 months later...