The NCAA and Players Profiting from Their Likeness Thread

ramssuperbowl99

The devil is in the details here and if you think the NCAA is relenting you aren't looking closely enough:

A working group assembled to evaluate potential ways to modernize the NCAA's rules about athletes making money from their names, images and likenesses presented its recommendations to the board of governors during its annual April meeting Tuesday afternoon. The recommendations included significant changes to current restrictions while also leaving room for the NCAA and schools to regulate the types of deals athletes might be allowed to sign in the future and the monetary value of individual contracts.

So the NCAA is going to "let" players sign way below market endorsement deals, and then take the difference for the school/themselves.

You watch the details on this policy are going to be a joke.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 3:14 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The devil is in the details here and if you think the NCAA is relenting you aren't looking closely enough:

So the NCAA is going to "let" players sign way below market endorsement deals, and then take the difference for the school/themselves.

You watch the details on this policy are going to be a joke.

Of course they want to make money off of that.  Wasn't it Adrian Peterson that called the whole jersey sale thing a joke?  This will be even more of one.  It's also an additional revenue stream that they can tap into. It's not right, but I would say you are correct with this prediction. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/05/114095/justin-fields-could-make-400000-other-buckeyes-could-reach-five-figure-annual-sums-from-social-media-under

“It estimates that, if the recommended NCAA name, image and likeness rules were in place today, Justin Fields would be able to make $404,384 annually from his social media channels, which feature more than 390,000 followers on Instagram and 130,000 followers on Twitter. Approximately, an Instagram post from Fields would be worth $11,078 and a Tweet would be worth $1,559.”

https://opendorse.com/blog/nil-earning-potential-of-ohio-state-football-student-athletes/

tab.png

• Like 1

Just now, buno67 said:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/05/114095/justin-fields-could-make-400000-other-buckeyes-could-reach-five-figure-annual-sums-from-social-media-under

“It estimates that, if the recommended NCAA name, image and likeness rules were in place today, Justin Fields would be able to make $404,384 annually from his social media channels, which feature more than 390,000 followers on Instagram and 130,000 followers on Twitter. Approximately, an Instagram post from Fields would be worth $11,078 and a Tweet would be worth $1,559.”

https://opendorse.com/blog/nil-earning-potential-of-ohio-state-football-student-athletes/

tab.png

Now you look at the business environment that tOSU is surrounded by because of so many national HQ being in Columbus, I would assume he could make a lot more working with them. This rules goes into affect, it is going to greatly give tOSU a huge recruiting tool on top of what they already have to offer

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Now you look at the business environment that tOSU is surrounded by because of so many national HQ being in Columbus, I would assume he could make a lot more working with them. This rules goes into affect, it is going to greatly give tOSU a huge recruiting tool on top of what they already have to offer

Which will give the more schools with better fan support a leg up but that's life.

13 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I would think that outside of the very top guys (Zion Williamson type with 1 million followers, which is not common in football), most of the money would be coming from local sources. Unless you have an absolutely massive following, a national brand probably isn't shelling out money for you to advertise.

Those local Bama dealerships are likely going to give more money than any national brand.

Edited by JammerHammer21

9 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Those local Bama dealerships are likely going to give more money than any national brand.

I hope when this is all legal we get a commercial that's promoting some sale where they're "practically giving cars away" and its Saban handing out Dodge Chargers to current Bama players.

Also t's and p's Rich Burr.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I hope when this is all legal we get a commercial that's promoting some sale where they're "practically giving cars away" and its Saban handing out Dodge Chargers to current Bama players.

Also t's and p's Rich Burr.

LSUFreek already made the commercial!

• Like 3

So the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals just issued a ruling a few days ago say some of the NCAA regulations are in violation of anti trust law. It's not my area of expertise and which regulations are and aren't illegal is kind of confusing. I'll drop a link to the opinion here just in case any one wants to read it

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2020/05/18/19-15566.pdf

4 hours ago, mse326 said:

So the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals just issued a ruling a few days ago say some of the NCAA regulations are in violation of anti trust law. It's not my area of expertise and which regulations are and aren't illegal is kind of confusing. I'll drop a link to the opinion here just in case any one wants to read it

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2020/05/18/19-15566.pdf

Chances are we get an article on this from someone before the weekend is out.  There is nothing else to cover at this point.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...