The NCAA and Players Profiting from Their Likeness Thread

ramssuperbowl99

11 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

And free college is nice... but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to ask for more when they are the actual labor, and said labor brings in millions of dollars.

And when your company is in the red all the time, it's hard to ask for more. Scholarships, which really cost the school little to nothing, is what makes this whole venture feasible. Let them profit off their likeness outside the university and get what they're worth that way.

3 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

And when your company is in the red all the time, it's hard to ask for more. Scholarships, which really cost the school little to nothing, is what makes this whole venture feasible. Let them profit off their likeness outside the university and get what they're worth that way.

Sure, let them profit off their likeness.

If you asked college athletic departments to be run like a business, they'd be in the green, even with sports that don't make money. It's a BS system that does a good job of saying (and convincing), "we have no money to pay athletes, we lose money every year!"

https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/12/20704195/college-football-athletic-budgets

I've been thinking of how this would change recruiting. I don't see much changing besides the schools that are in or near major market cities could gain from it (UCLA, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, and etc.) The big schools will still get the top recruits because of the large fan base they could make money from. 

14 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I've been thinking of how this would change recruiting. I don't see much changing besides the schools that are in or near major market cities could gain from it (UCLA, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, and etc.) The big schools will still get the top recruits because of the large fan base they could make money from. 

it would be nice to see that happen. It would be great to see some of those teams become threats again.

The schools by major business hubs would hit the jackpot. Maybe would  see the Houston cougars take over the state of Texas. 

Honestly, if all it happens, could see tOSU becoming the king of the hill. They are already an elite program for players and then allow the business hubs in Columbus to get a hold of them. Potentially game over for everyone else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

it would be nice to see that happen. It would be great to see some of those teams become threats again.

The schools by major business hubs would hit the jackpot. Maybe would  see the Houston cougars take over the state of Texas. 

Honestly, if all it happens, could see tOSU becoming the king of the hill. They are already an elite program for players and then allow the business hubs in Columbus to get a hold of them. Potentially game over for everyone else. 

USC and UCLA would make out big with their market.

Miami might get back to prime early 200's talent.

Georgia should theoretically gain the most in the SEC with the atl market.

I would expect to see a spike in recruiting for Colorado with the Denver Market.

a random one, But I could see Illinois stepping up significantly with Chicago's backing.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:11 PM, rickyt31 said:

i assure you nobody in the new york metro area considers rutgers a part of the new york metro area

There are only 3 FBS teams in the state of NewYork. ‘Cuss, Buffalo, and Army. Army is the closest to New York City I believe. 

I believe the point is Rutgers is only 40miles from Manhattan. You are in a huge market to potentially market yourself in. 

question will come down to, what will be the best conference to play in to get that market exposure 

53 minutes ago, buno67 said:

There are only 3 FBS teams in the state of NewYork. ‘Cuss, Buffalo, and Army. Army is the closest to New York City I believe. 

I believe the point is Rutgers is only 40miles from Manhattan. You are in a huge market to potentially market yourself in. 

question will come down to, what will be the best conference to play in to get that market exposure 

You can’t be marketable if nobody cares about you.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I'd expect the more lucrative deals to come from other spots than LA or NYC. There are very few athletes who have ever really marketed themselves, even in LA, as a college football players. You're competing for commercials with every decent actor on the planet, many of whom are way more famous than you. 

I'd expect college towns to be the big winners. The pond is smaller, but that's a good thing when you're an awkward, pimply 18 year old kid trying to sell some MeUndies. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

penn state, notre dame, and michigan are all way more likely to benefit from somebody in new york paying for some sort of endorsement

i grew up right outside new york, went to college in manhattan and live there now and i have never met someone who cared about rutgers athletics if they weren’t actively enrolled there. the only exception is the 2006 season but 2007 went straight back to the norm

2 hours ago, catcheryea said:

penn state, notre dame, and michigan are all way more likely to benefit from somebody in new york paying for some sort of endorsement

i grew up right outside new york, went to college in manhattan and live there now and i have never met someone who cared about rutgers athletics if they weren’t actively enrolled there. the only exception is the 2006 season but 2007 went straight back to the norm

Yeah, Rutgers was hot there for a moment because of the coach, when the coach left, the program sunk. Now with the market aspect, that is something that wont leave, so it will be great for recruiting. If it becomes a huge recruiting difference-maker, you can see better coaches taking the program seriously when its time for their next hiring. 

I understand but that can be the big pitch tho for recruiting. With the new marketing rules, you come to Rutgers, you can be exposed to X,Y,&Z. It can be a great way to create a difference between other schools. I just believe it gives them a solid stepping stone to help build that program back up. Stepping stone that other bottom-tier schools dont have. Def a pitch you can sell kids that schools like Nebraska and others dont have that you will be up against. I dont think this will help them nationally at first but it should help them keep all the local talent home. If they can do that, they could quickly turn things around

Hell I think a major Sleeper would be Maryland. Its a recruiting hotbed, loaded with Talent, with the DMV area ripe for marketing. 

I just think the most dangerous program is going to be tOSU. I have stated that Columbus has a crazy amount of business headquarters in the city. Hell, a player could make bank just being a part of a wendys advertisement campaign. If you are a Heisman candidate, they are going to pick you up most likely, since they do so much with the High School Heisman stuff. You than add in Cleveland and Cincy, other huge cities that are huge buckeye fan bases. You become the star player at tOSU, you could be the star in the entire state. Especially if you are Cleveland kid or Cincy kid who blows up at tOSU. There is no competition really in the state, so its going to be huge for the program

13 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i assure you nobody in the new york metro area considers rutgers a part of the new york metro area

That's why I said " in or near". It can still be a benefit of being able to get to a major market city where some of these deals might come from. 

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

That's definitely a good question. It's hard to argue against the SEC being the top conference for marketing, but all the big conferences would be winners. I think about what type of deals Cam Newton or Reggie Bush would have had if they were able to freely make money off their name. 

Jim's Alabama Roll Tide Car Dealership of Tuscaloosa will give out more money than any actual company in a big city, just like they do now. Those guys will give money to any of the recruits. The actual companies want guys who have major followings, and those guys are not nearly as common in CFB compared to CBB.

• Like 1