The NCAA and Players Profiting from Their Likeness Thread

ramssuperbowl99

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I feel like your source on this is Charles Barkley, who seems to have a selective memory about his all things college.

True quote:

As long as I led the SEC in scoring, I knew my grades would take care of themselves.”

Charles Barkley

I think this could become a sticky situation where schools/donors try to pay players to come to their school.  I would say to try to keep some semblance of balance once this eventually rolls out to being an NCAA rule, I would say that no player should be able to start signing endorsement deals until after they've already committed and enrolled at a college.  Any deal that was found to be in place prior to enrollment or contact was made for a potential endorsement deal prior to commitment as a way to try and steer players toward a specific school would have the company fined and/or banned from signing new endorsements with players for a specific period of time.  If a player is found to accept these deals on the basis of playing for a specific school, they will lose 1+ years of eligibility and the company will have their ban from signing new players extended by a length of time correlating to the lost eligibility of the player.

21 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You could put any quote down and say Chuck said it and I'd think "yeah probably".

Let's play a game: Eliminate the incorrect Charles Barkley quote:

1. I don't care what people think. people are stupid.

2. Poor people cannot rely on the government to come to help you in times of need. You have to get your education. Then nobody can control your destiny.

3. The only difference between a good shot and a bad shot is if it goes in or not.

4. I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan

5. *Question from media* "Did you graduate from Auburn? Charles: "No, but I have a couple people working for me who did." 

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Let's play a game: Eliminate the incorrect Charles Barkley quote:

1. I don't care what people think. people are stupid.

2. Poor people cannot rely on the government to come to help you in times of need. You have to get your education. Then nobody can control your destiny.

3. The only difference between a good shot and a bad shot is if it goes in or not.

4. I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan

5. *Question from media* "Did you graduate from Auburn? Charles: "No, but I have a couple people working for me who did." 

NA; those are all Charles Barkley quotes.

31 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think this could become a sticky situation where schools/donors try to pay players to come to their school.  I would say to try to keep some semblance of balance once this eventually rolls out to being an NCAA rule, I would say that no player should be able to start signing endorsement deals until after they've already committed and enrolled at a college.  Any deal that was found to be in place prior to enrollment or contact was made for a potential endorsement deal prior to commitment as a way to try and steer players toward a specific school would have the company fined and/or banned from signing new endorsements with players for a specific period of time.  If a player is found to accept these deals on the basis of playing for a specific school, they will lose 1+ years of eligibility and the company will have their ban from signing new players extended by a length of time correlating to the lost eligibility of the player.

There is nothing illegal about a HS student being used for advertisement by a company, athlete or otherwise. 

On 9/13/2019 at 11:28 AM, Raves said:

NCAA has no authority over other companies. They can't ban them from anything.

4 hours ago, mse326 said:

NCAA has no authority over other companies. They can't ban them from anything.

They can effectively ban them by making any player they sign to a deal ineligible.  Sure the player can just sit out until they are eligible to play in whatever league, but it's still going to have an effect on the exposure of the signed player and potential profits from the endorsement deal.