The NCAA and Players Profiting from Their Likeness Thread

ramssuperbowl99

18 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Apparently he said that in 2014 so he was probably being a bit dramatic thinking it would never happen.  The tweets circulating make it seem like he was reacting to the news today.  Dabo has done some things that make him seem unlikeable but I’m not taking much from this one.

Im sure he’ll give the “we all need to adapt” line when asked about it.

Or it's his real opinion and he's an ******* with an out of control ego and no self-awareness.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Or it's his real opinion and he's an ******* with an out of control ego and no self-awareness.

We could make a game out of this. Without any context and only being told "Head Football Coach at a Power 5 school", who are we talking about?

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We could make a game out of this. Without any context and only being told "Head Football Coach at a Power 5 school", who are we talking about?

He's not the only one, but CFB coaches deserve no benefit of the doubt on this. The idea of paying players has become popular in the last few years, so now you see coaches who change their public answers from "no way, under any circumstances" like the one Dabo gave to "well it's a complicated situation that we have to evaluate how to do fairly" stalling, non-answer because they don't want to tick off recruits.

Meanwhile, they have no problem taking higher and higher salaries with more total guaranteed years on them. It's not like their opinion has actually changed, the optics are just worse.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Some legislator tweeted that they were going to introduce legislation to count scholarships against taxes if this comes to pass.  Absolutely ridiculous.  

Richard Burr (R, NC), who is a Senator. He's not seeking re-election in 2022 because, like his name implies, he's a ****. Ironically enough, he signed the "Taxpayer Protection Pledge", which said he would oppose tax increases for any reason.

EDIT:

And in case that irony was irony-y enough for you, this actually happened.

@Thelonebillsfan you wanna take this one?

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Richard Burr (R, NC), who is a Senator. He's not seeking re-election in 2022 because, like his name implies, he's a ****. Ironically enough, he signed the "Taxpayer Protection Pledge", which said he would oppose tax increases for any reason.

EDIT:

I mean, we have guys making money hand over fist in the NFL and some guys never make it off the practice squad.  So do you let the same thing happen in college, or is there a limit or something to what they can make?  Or is it a free for all? 

15 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, we have guys making money hand over fist in the NFL and some guys never make it off the practice squad.  So do you let the same thing happen in college, or is there a limit or something to what they can make?  Or is it a free for all? 

It's like every other area of life, where your compensation is related to the value you put in. The market is pretty good at figuring out what people are worth, let it do its thing.

If they are going to put a cap on it, that just opens the door for more under-the-table stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

EDIT:

I can't decide between a mormon joke or a capitalist joke.

Give me a few hours I'll come up with something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's like every other area of life, where your compensation is related to the value you put in. The market is pretty good at figuring out what people are worth, let it do its thing.

If they are going to put a cap on it, that just opens the door for more under-the-table stuff.

To advocate for the devil, the successful football league that is probably the easiest to model this thing off of is an extremely controlled market. Salary caps do a lot to make the league competitive and interesting.

All that said, let the kids make every dime they can. **** the NCAA. 

I'm fascinated to see how deeply the state of Alabama is willing to dig into it's pockets for players in this scenario.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

To advocate for the devil, the successful football league that is probably the easiest to model this thing off of is an extremely controlled market. Salary caps do a lot to make the league competitive and interesting.

All that said, let the kids make every dime they can. **** the NCAA. 

I'm fascinated to see how deeply the state of Alabama is willing to dig into it's pockets for players in this scenario.

There are no restrictions on NFL players selling their likeness.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There are no restrictions on NFL players selling their likeness.

Agreed, and I suppose I should clarify.

The issue that I have with this is that it allows the NCAA to kick the can down the road for a few more years rather than doing what needs to be done (give a Title IX funding exemption for Football and Basketball and just pay the damn players directly.)

• Like 1