Introducing your 2017 captains...

Broncofan

What I like is challenging DT to be the O leader with Siemian.  I'm surprised Harris or Marshall weren't named, but I like challenging the 2 O guys to be the best players on the team.  We don't go very far if they aren't.

Troy RenckVerified account @TroyRenck

Following
More

#Broncos captains Von, Talib, Demaryius, Siemian and McManus @DenverChannel

6 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I am fine with the named captains. I sort of wish it was Sanders instead of DT but I get it.

Hopefully things are different now but Sanders still had a lot on his plate with his home life in offseason.  While DT has the whole issue with his mom squared away  and pretty much should have nothing but football in his mind 24-7 not so clear with Sanders.  

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Hopefully things are different now but Sanders still had a lot on his plate with his home life in offseason.  While DT has the whole issue with his mom squared away  and pretty much should have nothing but football in his mind 24-7 not so clear with Sanders.  

I haven't been a fan of Sanders' body language this preseason. He has thrown his hands up and made a scene multiple times after being overthrown. I prefer the more even-keel yet uninspiring DT as captain. 

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I haven't been a fan of Sanders' body language this preseason. He has thrown his hands up and made a scene multiple times after being overthrown. I prefer the more even-keel yet uninspiring DT as captain. 

I am assuming you're not fine with Talib being captain  then, who is known as a sketchy player and has his own antics on and off the field..?

I like that Talib is a captain, give me someone who can actually lead the team like Sanders. Dude is all heart. DT.. haven't seen one bit of it.

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I'm surprised about Talib over CHJ and DT over Paradis. 

I agree CHJ deserves it...as does Paradis.  But the org has challenged DT to take over games this year, and while he may or may not, they're basically throwing the gauntlet for him to lead by example and make the O his (and Siemian's).   He's not the classic alpha WR1 who wins all facets of the game (his YAC skills, high pointing and body positioning are where he wins, while press coverage gives him fits, and the drops are all mental, not bad hands), but if we are to really take a step forward with Siemian, he can't have the drops that plagued him at times the last 2 years, and he has to take his game to the next level.   If you're going to challenge him to rise to the occasion, you're asking him to become a true leader.  That's not an easy task for WR's, as they tend to be prima donnas (they are always open and want the ball LOL), but the gauntlet has been laid down.   Time to see if he and Siemian are up to the task.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I agree CHJ deserves it...as does Paradis.  But the org has challenged DT to take over games this year, and while he may or may not, they're basically throwing the gauntlet for him to lead by example and make the O his.   He's not the classic alpha WR1 who wins all facets of the game (his YAC skills, high pointing and body positioning are where he wins, while press coverage gives him fits, and the drops are all mental, not bad hands), but if we are to really take a step forward with Siemian, he can't have the drops that plagued him at times the last 2 years, and he has to take his game to the next level.   If you're going to challenge him to rise to the occasion, you're asking him to become a true leader.  That's not an easy task for WR's, as they tend to be prima donnas (they are always open and want the ball LOL), but the gauntlet has been laid down.   Time to see if he and Siemian are up to the task.

This offense is designed to spread the ball around, its not an alpha WR offense. That's why we drafted and signed and kept as many gadget and niche skill positions players as we did. And DT has never been a real leader in any way, shape or form. The #1 QB is always a captain.  

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This offense is designed to spread the ball around, its not an alpha WR offense. That's why we drafted and signed and kept as many gadget and niche players as we did. And DT has never been a real leader in any way, shape or form. The #1 QB is always a captain.  

Yeah for sure the classic Kubiak O emphasized the X receiver more than a McCoy O -  but even in a McCoy O, the WR's get a ton of work in the short-intermediate routes, where DT (and Sanders) should excel...if they can protect Siemian long enough to get it there.   Keenan Allen is the latest in a bunch of WR's who've thrived in his system.

Re: gadget players, I honestly believe Elway saw us get killed by Tyreke Hill repeatedly last year that he felt he needed a similar weapon - so much so that he rolled the dice 2-3x to find home-run guys in gadget-size players.  I wish I could say I think it will work to that extent, but one thing I have to give Elway credit for, he doesn't commit part-way, he commits full-on.

Absolutely fair to say DT hasn't been a leader - this is very clearly a challenge to him to step up, both on the field and in the locker room.  VJ already did it upon arriving in DEN, this looks to be an extension of that same challenge .   Maybe DT doesn't have the personality for it, but there are different types that succeed.   We'll see.

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah for sure the classic Kubiak O emphasized the X receiver more than a McCoy O -  but even in a McCoy O, the WR's get a ton of work in the short-intermediate routes, where DT (and Sanders) should excel...if they can protect Siemian long enough to get it there.   Keenan Allen is the latest in a bunch of WR's who've thrived in his system.

Re: gadget players, I honestly believe Elway saw us get killed by Tyreke Hill repeatedly last year that he felt he needed a similar weapon - so much so that he rolled the dice 2-3x to find home-run guys in gadget-size players.  I wish I could say I think it will work to that extent, but one thing I have to give Elway credit for, he doesn't commit part-way, he commits full-on.

Absolutely fair to say DT hasn't been a leader - this is very clearly a challenge to him to step up, both on the field and in the locker room.  VJ already did it upon arriving in DEN, this looks to be an extension of that same challenge .   Maybe DT doesn't have the personality for it, but there are different types that succeed.   We'll see.

So, you agree with me?

Why can't you just say that then rather get diarrhea of the fingertips? I hope to God I never end up next to you at a bar. No offense. 

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So, you agree with me?

Why can't you just say that then rather get diarrhea of the fingertips? I hope to God I never end up next to you at a bar. No offense. 

All good lol.  I agreed with your take on DT not being a leader in the past - I just see this as a natural extension of VJ's open challenge to DT to be more.   And while Kubiak system emphasizes the X, McCoy's O does have dominant receivers - I thought that was clear from the Allen example.   Just providing perspective on why the timing may fit better now where it didn't before.  

Very few discussions have to be all either/or takes FWIW.  ?

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Say what you want about Siemian, but he absolutely, 100% has the respect of this team. That message was loud and clear last year and even more so now. 

Oh that is absolutely true. That's been the case since last year, playing through the injury the way he did earned him a ton of respect. 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:16 PM, iLikeDefense said:

I am assuming you're not fine with Talib being captain  then, who is known as a sketchy player and has his own antics on and off the field..?

I like that Talib is a captain, give me someone who can actually lead the team like Sanders. Dude is all heart. DT.. haven't seen one bit of it.

No. I prefer Talib to Sanders. There is a difference between occasionally crossing the line between ultra-competitive and unsportsmanlike (Talib) and publicly shaming your teammates for their mistakes by making a scene (Sanders). One has an obvious negative effect on team camaraderie and (I would argue that) the other can often have a positive effect. 

30 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

No. I prefer Talib to Sanders. There is a difference between occasionally crossing the line between ultra-competitive and unsportsmanlike (Talib) and publicly shaming your teammates for their mistakes by making a scene (Sanders). One has an obvious negative effect on team camaraderie and (I would argue that) the other can often have a positive effect. 

You mean the time Talib pushed his own teammate during a game....I mean last year was a terrible year for him in the public spotlight..c'mon man.

Archived