Trent Williams

BZski

I do want to explore this as an option. It would really be dependent on what we'd be giving up. If we've given up entirely on Decker, then I guess that's an option. However, coming out of the draft the suggestion by guys like NFL Draft Analyst (pre-Raiders GM) Mike Mayock was that Decker could play RT while the Lions figured out what to do with Reiff. That's not how things shook out but it does suggest that he might be able to play RT. I'd rather see if we could offload Wagner who is more expensive and older. I don't know if Washington would want him. They brought in Donald Penn as their LT for the time being.

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I do want to explore this as an option. It would really be dependent on what we'd be giving up. If we've given up entirely on Decker, then I guess that's an option. However, coming out of the draft the suggestion by guys like NFL Draft Analyst (pre-Raiders GM) Mike Mayock was that Decker could play RT while the Lions figured out what to do with Reiff. That's not how things shook out but it does suggest that he might be able to play RT. I'd rather see if we could offload Wagner who is more expensive and older. I don't know if Washington would want him. They brought in Donald Penn as their LT for the time being.

Ideally they would take Wagner back who too be honest has looked better than Decker. I know we cannot have to attach a TE to help Decker out all season. If he cannot be a viable LT then I think we should explore Trent Williams. I know he is 30 but LT often play well into their mid 30's or at least the elite ones do (see Andrew Whitworth)

3 minutes ago, BZski said:

Ideally they would take Wagner back who too be honest has looked better than Decker. I know we cannot have to attach a TE to help Decker out all season. If he cannot be a viable LT then I think we should explore Trent Williams. I know he is 30 but LT often play well into their mid 30's or at least the elite ones do (see Andrew Whitworth)

Some of the guys are talking about "cap hell". I played with the Over The Cap's calculator. We should be able to make things work with the trade, even if we don't trade away a hefty contract like Wagner's. I feel like A'Shawn is a guy that is likely going to be moved before the end of the season as well.

If Stafford plays like he did last week, I'd be more open to a restructure of his contract to open up some money and make this work. It would also show that we are committing to him.

9 hours ago, MortexLion said:

so I guess I'll just be the bad guy and say this will never happen sorry boys! not saying I don't want him but its just not going to happen.

I can't disagree with you on that one. It's entirely possible and it could work but I'd be more surprised to see the trade happen let alone to the Lions.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:21 AM, BZski said:

With Taylor Decker's terrible performance last week I think I would at min see what they want for Trent Williams. What would you be willing to give up for him? Maybe Decker and a 2nd?

I'd gladly give that up.

Just about any combination of picks and players outside of 1st rounders I would entertain. 

7 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

Good question. 

Other than Decker or Wagner, maybe dline. Possibly Marvin Jones.

Our best bet would probably be just picks.

I'd be open to a deal for Wagner, A'Shawn and a pick or 2... 2020 2nd and 2021 5th? Probably get a pick in return on a conditional basis.

I don't expect us to be moving on from Marvin so soon. This seems like a move we'll make before the trade deadline if things are looking south for a 4th or so. Our WR depth isn't all that great already, so I don't see us trading that away early on if we're still in the mix of things.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd be open to a deal for Wagner, A'Shawn and a pick or 2... 2020 2nd and 2021 5th? Probably get a pick in return on a conditional basis.

I don't expect us to be moving on from Marvin so soon. This seems like a move we'll make before the trade deadline if things are looking south for a 4th or so. Our WR depth isn't all that great already, so I don't see us trading that away early on if we're still in the mix of things.

That is what I was thinking. A'Shawn, Decker, and a 2nd rd pick.

11 minutes ago, BZski said:

That is what I was thinking. A'Shawn, Decker, and a 2nd rd pick.

I don't know if Washington would take Wagner but I'd rather offload him if we could, all else being equal. Decker could play RT and obviously we've seen him play LT so he could fill in if there's an injury. His contract is much more palatable than Wagner's and he's younger.

If we compare this trade to the Duane Brown trade, this would actually be a much richer deal. So we might even be overshooting things.

Seahawks traded Jeremy Lane + 2018 5th + 2019 2nd for Duane Brown

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I get that but with Hockenson, Golladay and Amendola, it looks like there might not be enough targets for Marvin to justify his salary. And I think he'd fit great with Gruden. 

3 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I get that but with Hockenson, Golladay and Amendola, it looks like there might not be enough targets for Marvin to justify his salary. And I think he'd fit great with Gruden. 

You could be right. I don't know if Washington needs WR's though. They have two rookies that are showing promise in McLaurin and Harmon. I just don't see a point in cutting down on our depth, which isn't very deep as it is. McKissic and Hockenson are great to have as additional targets while Amendola seems to be filling the Tate role nicely. Golladay is still developing and isn't a proven commodity. There isn't much outside of KG and Danny, at least nothing proven. An injury is going to cause this group to unravel IMO.

15 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You could be right. I don't know if Washington needs WR's though. They have two rookies that are showing promise in McLaurin and Harmon. I just don't see a point in cutting down on our depth, which isn't very deep as it is. McKissic and Hockenson are great to have as additional targets while Amendola seems to be filling the Tate role nicely. Golladay is still developing and isn't a proven commodity. There isn't much outside of KG and Danny, at least nothing proven. An injury is going to cause this group to unravel IMO.

I agree but if it would get a deal done for Trent, I think we'd have to pull the trigger....all speculation of course.