Darnold to miss multiple weeks with Mono

bigjohnson2009

3 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Roger Federer had mono during end of 2007/start of January period. He still competed at the top but his level of play dipped during that period.

Roger Federer didn't play a contact spot.  Aside from the CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) that accompanies mono and saps your energy like a mother, the biggest concern for a player that will take a decent amount of hits with mono is weight loss.  You'll get some vital organs (spleen, liver, kidneys) that simply won't have the regular body mass around to protect them because the player will lose that mass as a result of the mono.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

I'm more surprised he made it through fraternity life at USC without having gotten it (and probably some other stuff too).

Do they treat it the same way as gonorrhea? 

These athletes need to quit making out with minors if they want to stop getting mono.

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Do they treat it the same way as gonorrhea? 

These athletes need to quit making out with minors if they want to stop getting mono.

I don't actually know how they treat gonorrhea.  From what I remember when I had mono (high school, so it was a long time ago), you basically just have to let it run its course.  What will be interesting to see is if they put him on Prednisone (oral steroid), which I would imagine his doctor would recommend and want him on to affect the symptoms of the swollen glands.  Depends on if Sam has already drug tested this season (he should have, and if he passed they wouldn't be testing him again until next season) and whether Prednisone would show up on a screen panel administered by the league - mistaken (as in "it could be") for a different type of steroid.

Ultimately though, mono is a viral infection, antibiotics can only treat the symptoms, they won't do squat to expel the virus.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I didnt know people over the age of 15 got Mono.... 

Real talk though, once you get it once it never "goes away" it just goes into remission. You can have it resurface at any point. My wife got it at 13 and had it pop back up 14 years later. The virus doesn't ever fully "leave" your system.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan