Converting keeper league into auction

sammymvpknight

I don't know if any of you have any experience with this, or at least could put some thoughts together.

I have a very long-standing league. We've done live traditional drafts for years but are interested in changing it up a bit with an auction format.

The two biggest challenges are convert the value of a traditional draft over auction values for keepers, and the other, and more challenging problem of how to give a slight advantage to teams that didn't do as well the year before.

VALUE DIFFERENCES

I think that this is the easier change to adapt, though I am definitely open to suggestions. My league currently allows four keepers (one being a rookie the year prior) and the cost is the round the player was taken the previous year. In an auction league, there are no "rounds", so I need to figure out how to attach a monetary value to each round. The easier round would be to look at this year's average auction values for each player for Yahoo! (the website our league uses), and just use those values. Another way, which would require more work on my part, is to determine the average cost of players selected in each round, and use that value for when the player was selected in our draft the prior year. There may be other options out there that I'm overlooking. Which option do you think is best?

ADVANTAGE TO WORST PLACED TEAMS

I really like parity and it's a big part of how our league has been going strong for over 15 years. Though having good keepers will definitely help you year to year, the teams that didn't do as well really have a chance to make up ground quickly by drafting sooner. The challenge with auction drafts is that I see that benefit disappearing. Everyone is on an equal playing field if they have the same amount of money. The only thing I can think of that would help out the teams that weren't as good the prior year is by giving them a larger budget. Any other ideas? And any other challenges that I should be anticipating?

There are auction resources available online, complete with average/suggested bids for players in the standard formats.  Use one of those for the first year to give value to a keeper.  

To give an advantage to the worst teams, you could make a tier of how much "interest" they pay on each player.  Say your playoff teams have to increase the "salary" by 10% to keep players.  Teams that finished under .500 don't pay anything.  The teams ending up in the middle have 5%.

Lets use SportingNews, which has a 200 budget for a 12 team PPR league.  Saquon Barkley is a keeper for a team under the above circumstances, and you've assigned him their value of $63. 

10%- 69.3

5%- 66.15 

That number will continue to increase if Barkley is kept by the same teams next year, by the same percentage amount (or, you could increase percentages for keeping a player multiple years.)  The idea behind increasing the value each year is that some of the big names will always be coming back to the draft.  It also is a benefit to focus on bargains and rookies each year

Here is the SN link- https://www.sportingnews.com/us/fantasy/news/2019-fantasy-football-auction-values-dollar-calculator-200-budget-cheat-sheet-projections-rankings-draft-strategy-sleepers-non-ppr/1tknysk0zhjh41j79khwghnrgq

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, sammymvpknight said:

I don't know if any of you have any experience with this, or at least could put some thoughts together.

I have a very long-standing league. We've done live traditional drafts for years but are interested in changing it up a bit with an auction format.

The two biggest challenges are convert the value of a traditional draft over auction values for keepers, and the other, and more challenging problem of how to give a slight advantage to teams that didn't do as well the year before.

VALUE DIFFERENCES

I think that this is the easier change to adapt, though I am definitely open to suggestions. My league currently allows four keepers (one being a rookie the year prior) and the cost is the round the player was taken the previous year. In an auction league, there are no "rounds", so I need to figure out how to attach a monetary value to each round. The easier round would be to look at this year's average auction values for each player for Yahoo! (the website our league uses), and just use those values. Another way, which would require more work on my part, is to determine the average cost of players selected in each round, and use that value for when the player was selected in our draft the prior year. There may be other options out there that I'm overlooking. Which option do you think is best?

ADVANTAGE TO WORST PLACED TEAMS

I really like parity and it's a big part of how our league has been going strong for over 15 years. Though having good keepers will definitely help you year to year, the teams that didn't do as well really have a chance to make up ground quickly by drafting sooner. The challenge with auction drafts is that I see that benefit disappearing. Everyone is on an equal playing field if they have the same amount of money. The only thing I can think of that would help out the teams that weren't as good the prior year is by giving them a larger budget. Any other ideas? And any other challenges that I should be anticipating?

I think that option 2 with your first issue would be the best route of the 2.  You want to make sure that an owner that is getting credit for drafting a guy like JJSS in round 7 and not treating him like he was a second round pick.  

Another option is trying to find the previous year's auction values but that's going to lose some effectiveness if players are able to be kept long term without a value increase.  

My buddy is in an auction keeper/ dynasty league that I think I'm going to replicate this coming off season.  They use a rookie only draft based on the previous year's draft position as their method to make sure the lesser teams from the year prior have an advantage.  I believe that their salaries are designated based on their draft position.  This might not be a great option though based on any possible year restrictions for the keepers.  

• Like 1