What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

With mounting evidence that Mitch is not progressing to the heights that we were hoping for it is probably time to think about what the Bears should do to get out of this mess. 

I am not saying that they are going to dump Mitch or that they should flush him, I am saying a plan should be put in place if he is simply an average/inconsistent QB.

My Plan

1. Take Ryan Pace behind the wood shed and beat him, but you do not fire him.

The media, fans, George McCaskey should destroy Ryan Pace for his conviction on Trubisky, for the organizational "consensus", for the trade up, all of it. You cannot miss on the 2nd pick in the draft and simply shrug your shoulders and move on. Pace went all in on Trubisky and even traded up for him, his failure while not life threatening, should be a body blow to Pace.

On the flip side he is drafting too well right now for the team to move on from him.

2. Empower Matt Nagy.

I think that this is fair consequence for Pace. Nagy has already defacto become the face of the franchise, now he answers directly to Ted and George and Pace goes down a rung. There has to be  some tangible consequences for a miss of this magnitude.

3. Pick up Mitch's 5th year option.

It would be idiotic not to. It is only guaranteed for long term injury and if the light bulb does go on in year 4, which is unlikely, you have him locked up for a reasonable rate. If in year 4 he loses his job or continues to play "meh" football you rescind the tag and move on. There is no point in releasing Mitch before his 5th year as his money in 2020 is guaranteed.

4. Look for veteran competition.

I am no longer super interested in paying Chase Daniel 5-6 million/season to be a mentor for a guy who does not improve and grow. So Daniel can take a walk. The issue with a veteran option is price. The Bears have some serious contracts to deal with in 2020 and I am not sure they can afford an Alex Smith type player even at an injury reduced rate.

5. Let Nagy pick someone in the draft.

Let Nagy pick a guy in this draft and draft them regardless of round. He likes a guy in the 2nd, take him. He likes a guy in the 3rd or 4th, take him. He likes a guy in the 5th take him. There has to be a rookie QB drafted to compete and now we have Nagy making the choice and not Pace who clearly sucks at QB evaluation. Nagy's hand picked guy legitimately competes with Trubisky and we see what happens.

6. Be prepared to draft a guy round 1 in 2021.

It sucks to be in this position, but if Trubisky does not work out you have to be ready to go all in again. We have a tight window with the increasing cap cost of the defense and the Bears need to continue to be bold at QB.

• Like 1

This is 100% the best plan. I would add a strong interest in a healthy Alex Smith. I think we should also wait till the middle of the season before executing this plan. I think we need to give Mitch at least the first six games of this season before we start thinking of his replacement. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

This is 100% the best plan. I would add a strong interest in a healthy Alex Smith. I think we should also wait till the middle of the season before executing this plan. I think we need to give Mitch at least the first six games of this season before we start thinking of his replacement. 

I am not sure they can afford him.

I think this is good and logicial.  My only question is how much are you willing to give up if they love a guy in round 1 next year? Let's say Nagy likes a guy, and it's round 1, pick 10, and they think he's going to go next.  All you've got is seconds. If it's something crazy like your 2 seconds, and 3 first round picks, do you do it? It's like losing your savings at blackjack, but then coming back with the deed to your folks house and trying again. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure they can afford him.

Do you really think he's going to command a huge market coming off a serious injury in his age 36 season?

Redskins will not be paying him the money under his current contract to sit behind Haskins.

I think he likely gets released at year end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Do you really think he's going to command a huge market coming off a serious injury in his age 36 season?

Redskins will not be paying him the money under his current contract to sit behind Haskins.

I think he likely gets released at year end.

How little do you think a QB plays for? They will already be paying Mitch 10 million guaranteed.

Alex Smith retires before he plays for less than 10 million.

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think this is good and logicial.  My only question is how much are you willing to give up if they love a guy in round 1 next year? Let's say Nagy likes a guy, and it's round 1, pick 10, and they think he's going to go next.  All you've got is seconds. If it's something crazy like your 2 seconds, and 3 first round picks, do you do it? It's like losing your savings at blackjack, but then coming back with the deed to your folks house and trying again. 

I am fine with them moving to get Nagy's guy.

Pace has lost/is losing all QB credibility.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

How little do you think a QB plays for? They will already be paying Mitch 10 million guaranteed.

Alex Smith retires before he plays for less than 10 million.

I'm just throwing out scenarios but it's possible that if he gets released and still has guarantees left on his contract from WAS then he may be willing to sign a lesser deal with a team like CHI.

Another way this could be done is if CHI trades a late round pick to WAS for Smith and they agree to retain part of the salary.  $10M + $10M for the QB position isn't' a whole lot of money tied up when you consider some of the new contracts QB's are getting nowadays.

Pace obviously didn't get best QB of his class.  He wasn't alone in that boat in his projection.  

Historically that happens a lot.   We have one of best 5 -7 GMs in the game as it stands right now.   Getting rid of him or 'taking him woodshed' is just - not smart.

The sheer panic after one game, a first game of season at that,  is nuts to me.   He may break, but it doesn't have to be that way and that future is not set in stone.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Going after Alex Smith is a terrible idea.  Terrible.

I respectfully disagree.

If Mitch does not show the progression needed by year end then this team will have to make a tough decision because another year of Mitch trying to figure things out would be a huge wasted opportunity for the team considering their defense and the short SB window, and realistically no QB from next year's draft will put this team in a position to win a SB in 2020 seeing as Bears don;t pick til the 2nd round at the earliest.  Plus it's extremely rare for a rookie to be that good right away and knowing Bears luck with the QB position that seems like a stretch.

On the other hand Alex Smith knows the system like the back of his hand.  He is the most logical fit for this team where it is at right now IF Mitch proves to not be the guy after this season.  This is provided Smith is fully healthy for 2020 and doesn't come at a huge asking price.

Just now, topwop1 said:

I respectfully disagree.

If Mitch does not show the progression needed by year end then this team will have to make a tough decision because another year of Mitch trying to figure things out would be a huge wasted opportunity for the team considering their defense and the short SB window, and realistically no QB from next year's draft will put this team in a position to win a SB in 2020 seeing as Bears don;t pick til the 2nd round at the earliest.  Plus it's extremely rare for a rookie to be that good right away and knowing Bears luck with the QB position that seems like a stretch.

On the other hand Alex Smith knows the system like the back of his hand.  He is the most logical fit for this team where it is at right now IF Mitch proves to not be the guy after this season.  This is provided Smith is fully healthy for 2020 and doesn't come at a huge asking price.

I am fine if you have to get a different QB, but not Alex Smith.  He is broken and limited at his best, which he is past even if he isn't broken.