What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

26 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Realistically the Bears' window as currently constructed will last maybe 2 years into any extension they give MT. After that the talent around him won't be good enough to contend.

This could extend if MT reaches elite status, but the odds of that seem extremely limited from what we've seen so far. He's more of a guy you win with, not a guy you win because of.

Again, 16 games total played in this system. He's said himself he's a reps guy... I don't know if he's the brightest bulb in the box but I have respect for any human being that knows what it takes for them to succeed. Mahomes has ridiculous photographic memory from what I've learned, I'm not so sure Trubisky has that -- which is fine -- but it just means he's on a different path than Mahomes.

If you ask me... you have an elite defense and weapons all over on offense. Focus on running the ball and building off that while allowing the kid to work though the intricacies of this offense. It was one game... if he's consistently playing like this around week 10, I'll freak out like everyone else. Until then? I'm cheering on the kid.

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Roethlisberger was pretty average to bad for his first 3 years

Allow me to list the number of QBs who were average-to-bad, statistically, their first two years in the league:

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

Brett Favre

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

John Elway

Warren Moon

Matt Ryan

Carson Palmer

Drew Bledsoe

Matthew Stafford

Joe Flacco

Donovan McNabb

Matt Hasselbeck

Jim Kelly

Jay Cutler

Troy Aikman

Cam Newton

Andy Dalton

Andrew Luck

Derek Carr

etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Yea, we can only hope Mitch is on a similar development path as Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, and Cam Newton.

Many of the names on that list don't even belong. Guys like Rivers, Luck, Roethlisberger, and Manning were excellent very early in their careers.

Neither Rivers, Roethlisberger or Manning were "excellent very early" in their careers.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

How much time would you say we have? 

If your QB of the next 15-18 years hasn’t shown any progression through the end of year 3 that’s it. MAYBE year 4 if you have a legit vet backup or a young guy putting pressure. I feel like Mitch would cave though. Give me Steven Montez with one of our 2nds and let’s see what happens.

17 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

If your QB of the next 15-18 years hasn’t shown any progression through the end of year 3 that’s it. MAYBE year 4 if you have a legit vet backup or a young guy putting pressure. I feel like Mitch would cave though. Give me Steven Montez with one of our 2nds and let’s see what happens.

I like Montez. I wouldn't mind Eason or Burrow in round 4 either

Edited by beardown3231

1 hour ago, pigsooie5 said:

If the entire Bears squad was still a work in progress, I'd disagree with that. By they aren't, so I do. If Mitch doesn't turn it around this year, that's it. It's simply too dangerous to go forward hoping he'll get it, and it makes the entire Mack trade pointless. There are lot of talented rookies available next year. Get one. Win the Super Bowl with a rookie for the first time.

By the way...I don't think Trubisky will stink, and render this scenario necessary. But, Pace can't be patient if it DOES happen.

19 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

All 3 put up top 3 DVOA seasons by their 3rd years as starters.

giphy.gif

Edited by Heinz D.

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah "by their third year." That doesn't make all 3 seasons "excellent."

My argument was never that they were excellent in each season. Rather that they showed a level of play and contribution to team success that we haven’t seen from MT yet.

I want to be clear - I don’t believe MT’s fate as a Bear has been decided. This thread is a hypothetical. With that said, I don’t feel the progress we’ve seen from MT so far is enough to warrant an extension or any designation as the future of the Bears franchise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

My argument was never that they were excellent in each season. Rather that they showed a level of play and contribution to team success that we haven’t seen from MT yet.

I want to be clear - I don’t believe MT’s fate as a Bear has been decided. This thread is a hypothetical. With that said, I don’t feel the progress we’ve seen from MT so far is enough to warrant an extension or any designation as the future of the Bears franchise.

Again I wouldn't say those 3 guys were "excellent very early" because by year 3 they were finally good.

As for your last paragraph: that's fair and I don't think anyone would disagree.