What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure they can afford a legit veteran.

A 2nd round pick may not be ready in 2020 to lead the Bears, but being better than 10 is not a high bar.

They absolutely can. I think the main thing after all these years so far about digging into teams salary cap...it can be manipulated easily. If they want someone they can move money around to get him. 

9 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

They absolutely can. I think the main thing after all these years so far about digging into teams salary cap...it can be manipulated easily. If they want someone they can move money around to get him. 

They have a ton of contracts to hand out. 

Devoting 30 million to the QB position when you need to extend Floyd, Cohen, Jackson is going to be a tall order.

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Devoting 30 million to the QB position when you need to extend Floyd, Cohen, Jackson is going to be a tall order.

I'm not sure they're going to extend Cohen or Floyd honestly

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It really sucks that we are having this conversation. It just sets everything back.

Instead of focusing on fine tuning the roster we need to jump back into the QB swamp.

Not yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure they can afford a legit veteran.

A 2nd round pick may not be ready in 2020 to lead the Bears, but being better than 10 is not a high bar.

How much will a legit veteran really cost on a 1-year deal?  Not more than $10 million. 

Bears can easily afford that as they will have a cap roll over from this year and will be able to restructure some other deals to make it work if they need to.

Plus there will likely be a cut or two that will give some cap relief.

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

$30 million? LOL

Mitch will be making $9M or so next year.  Who the heck they going to sign for $20M???

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

30 million? I mean maybe Mariota would get in the 20-25 range? Who do you think is getting that? 

46 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

30 million? I mean maybe Mariota would get in the 20-25 range? Who do you think is getting that? 

If Mariota hits FA then I don't think he will fetch close to $20M.  That would mean the Titans didn't think much of him as their guy and any team who signs him would be in the exact same position we are with Mitch right now which is with a QB who has yet to prove he is worthy of being a franchise guy and deserving of a big contract.