What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

Oh man. Every board has some iteration of this thread :lol:

Look. Trubisky has, what, 25% of the passing attempts that Mahomes and Watson (not combined, mind you) had in college. 

He. Is. A. Developmental. QB. 

Nagy said it takes 3 years to feel comfortable in this offense. Childress said it's more like 5. We're ready to bail on this kid after 16 games -- ONE FULL SEASON -- in this system? 

God. It's almost like our fans have no idea what developing a QB looks like (wait...) 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

Look. Trubisky has, what, 25% of the passing attempts that Mahomes and Watson (not combined, mind you) had in college. 

Nagy said it takes 3 years to feel comfortable in this offense. Childress said it's more like 5. We're ready to bail on this kid after 16 games -- ONE FULL SEASON -- in this system? 

God. It's almost like our fans have no idea what developing a QB looks like (wait...) 

We'll ignore all that, LOL...

As to the OP though, while I'm not on the Trubisky doom train, I think it's totally misguided to assume 2021 is the target for a new QB. If Trubisky falters this year, there's no way Pace should even pick up his fifth year option. Somebody else going to pay him close to franchise money? Then trade him, if he has that kind of value. If what we saw last year was a mirage, then move on. This Bears team is simply too talented. Get the next QB in 2020. 

Edited by Heinz D.

"I'm so jealous of the young quarterbacks in the league today because their coaches are allowing them to play the way that they've always played," former NFL quarterback Michael Vick said to me. "They are allowing them to be themselves and building offense around their skills. ... That's why you're seeing so many young quarterbacks have success in the league right away."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Mahomes looked pretty comfortable last season.

It's hard to think of a modern QB who struggled for 3 seasons and eventually turned his career around. Not only that, but championship teams are often built around QBs on rookie contracts so if we're waiting until year 5 for Mitch to be something, we've lost the championship window.

52 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

It's hard to think of a modern QB who struggled for 3 seasons and eventually turned his career around. Not only that, but championship teams are often built around QBs on rookie contracts so if we're waiting until year 5 for Mitch to be something, we've lost the championship window.

Mahomes is the exception to the rule man. If you want to go that route, though, I would point to Mahomes' 1,349 collegiate passing attempts and compare them to Trubisky's 572.

I wouldn't say Trubisky struggled for 3 seasons, year 1 in the Fox/Loggains offense was a detriment, IMO. He put up solid numbers last season and had one stinker this season.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

To my quote above from Vick, if Pace took Mitch thinking he could mold him into a QB in his vision we are screwed. Makes sense though, QB with all the intangibles but little experience. Teachable, moldable. Not saying its the case, just typing out loud.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:38 AM, Nads786 said:

This is 100% the best plan. I would add a strong interest in a healthy Alex Smith. I think we should also wait till the middle of the season before executing this plan. I think we need to give Mitch at least the first six games of this season before we start thinking of his replacement. 

That might not be a bad idea.  The Bears could win a Super Bowl with a QB of Alex Smith's caliber.  At the same time, I wouldn't give up on Mitch yet either.  It was only Week 1, and every QB in the league is rusty in Week 1.  One thing I would do is try to get the best QB coach you can find.  It might be the coaching more than the QB.  It might sound crazy, but it might be worth bringing Mike McCarthy in next season in some capacity to work with Mitch.  I heard a radio interview of Rich Gannon one time and he gave a HUGE amount of credit to McCarthy in his becoming the QB he was.  He all but said that when he was in Minnesota, he didn't learn much and that it was McCarthy who taught him what it took to be a great NFL QB - everything from how to study film, prepare for games, read defenses, etc.  This would explain why the Vikings never had any really good QBs during Denny's tenure.  Sure, there was Culpepper, but he also had the services of Randy Moss, which certainly didn't hurt.  If not Mike McCarthy, find someone like him who actually knows how to work with young QB's.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, G08 said:

Well we don’t have half a decade to wait for A. Developmental. QB.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, G08 said:

How much time would you say we have? 

Realistically the Bears' window as currently constructed will last maybe 2 years into any extension they give MT. After that the talent around him won't be good enough to contend.

This could extend if MT reaches elite status, but the odds of that seem extremely limited from what we've seen so far. He's more of a guy you win with, not a guy you win because of.

13 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Roethlisberger was pretty average to bad for his first 3 years