What we should do if Mitch is not the guy

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Jacob Eason, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts, Steven Montez, Kellen Mond, Shea Patterson

The bolded are ones I like 

Jalen Hurts intrigues me. I like the fact that he has been in big games and in big programs and the fact that he is getting a year with Lincoln Riley to refine as a passer is nice.

Jake Fromm would be ideal, but he seems like a top 15 guy.

Interesting that Jeff Hughes and scout he spoke with honed in on something I've said after watching two games.

Mitch is not processing the information he sees post snap quickly enough causing his hesitancy and both a lack of confidence and accuracy.  The scout describes this in more typical NFL lingo, "the game has not slowed down for him as it should have by now".

Hughes goes on to come to another of the same conclusions I have.

If by game 5 against Oakland Mitch has not shown the ability to take over and run Nagy's offense as it needs to be run he and Ryan Pace will need to think very seriously about what Plan B may be and when and how to institute it.  Week 6 is our Bye Week and during that week off for players they can develop a plan for the balance of the 2019 season that will lead to a plan for the 2020 season.  Both should realize that we need to get ahead of this just in case Mitch does become a complete failure as a franchise QB.  We need a forward thinking plan.

I've already suggested that depending on our record if Mitch is still struggling by game 5 as much as he is now Nagy bench him in favor of Daniel if only to shake things up and put Mitch on notice that his starters job and his long term future in Chicago are anything but secure.  In all likelihood this won't last for more than a couple of games but something needs to be done to shake the kid up and get him to focus harder on resolving his own issues.  Nagy and Ragone can only do so much.  The rest is on Mitch himself.  He needs to get better fast.

By week 9 we will have played half our season finishing with NOLA, LAC, at home and Philly away as well as having faced GB and Minny once each both at home.  Where we stand than in terms of W/L and how well the offense has performed should tell us what we need to know about both Mitch's future with the Bears and also Matt Nagy's as his play caller.  If we need any longer than that to figure out what we have, what we don't have, and what to do about then IMHO the problems run much deeper than they appear to right now.  JMHO

Three Mitch Trubisky Points Through Two Games

e6d50a12c068be89060c5271a6241ef0?s=16&d= Jeff Hughes | September 17th, 2019

mitch.jpg?resize=800%2C247

The Chicago Bears defense is already top five in the relevant categories and well on their way to being one of the league’s preeminent units in 2019.

The Chicago Bears offense isn’t.

And the quarterback is a big reason why.

Here are three points on the young quarterback’s struggles in the early going of this campaign.

He’s Not Using His Legs

Nobody wants to see Trubisky running the ball ten times a game and sustaining that punishment.

But he certainly has had plenty of opportunities to extend plays AND drives with his legs. Expanding his pocket buys time and allows the speed on the outside to find spaces in the defense. And on third and four, sometimes it’s fine to call your own number and move the chains.

Also, Trubisky always seemed to use his legs to get into the flow of a game. It pumped him up. It pumped his teammates up. It was street ball. I recommend he go back to that style and start having fun out there. It’s a game.

(Just as I've said Rodgers will do when nothing else seems to be working because it's unpredictable and tougher to defend)

A Scout’s Take

Had a text conversation with a scout friend.

Me: What did you see with Trubisky?

Him: The game is not slowing down for him the way it should be. Bears better hope it does.

Me: Is it correctable quickly?

Him: If Nagy can’t correct it, no one can.

Let’s Give it 5 Games

Two games is too small a sample size.

After five games, the Bears will have played two tough defenses (GB, Minny), two not-tough defenses (Washington, Oakland) and faced the altitude in Denver. If the Bears get on the flight from Heathrow and Trubisky is still a weekly liability, the Bears will have some tough decisions to make in the near future.

This organization can not risk this defensive window on a quarterback who is not the guy. This is the year he must prove he is the guy. Everyone should have a good idea at the bye.

23 hours ago, WindyCity said:

What are some 2nd-5th round potential QBs people like? I am going to start looking during the college season.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nate Stanley...if Nagy wants to use his QB as a game manager why not have another Kyle Orton type with a strong arm.

It would be interesting to see how Mitch deals with benching. He’s faced no competition as a pro and has so far been surrounded by coaches and players picked specifically for his development.

I’d be more optimistic about the idea if I had any confidence in Chase Daniel.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

I very much doubt that Bears will look to draft a QB early in 2020, even if Mitch struggles this year.

If he does then I think what we'll see happen is them bring in an established vet QB to put pressure on Mitch in the last year of his rookie deal and if things go south from there then 2021 will be the year they look to re-draft the position when they actually have a 1st round pick again.

It's unrealistic to think that the Bears would find a QB in the 2nd+ rounds that can jump in right away and be good enough to manage a team with SB aspirations.  That's another steep learning curve in what will be a year that requires a QB who fully understands the offense and who can lead without limitations and growing pains.

If Mitch does not show significant growth by year end then I honestly think that Alex Smith will be a Chicago Bear in 2020 because it just makes too much sense considering where he's at in his career and the Bears possible predicament.  Chase Daniel is not an option to be the starter and he is not good enough competition to push Mitch, plus he is in the final year of his contract.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I very much doubt that Bears will look to draft a QB early in 2020, even if Mitch struggles this year.

If he does then I think what we'll see happen is them bring in an established vet QB to put pressure on Mitch in the last year of his rookie deal and if things go south from there then 2021 will be the year they look to re-draft the position when they actually have a 1st round pick again.

It's unrealistic to think that the Bears would find a QB in the 2nd+ rounds that can jump in right away and be good enough to manage a team with SB aspirations.  That's another steep learning curve in what will be a year that requires a QB who fully understands the offense and who can lead without limitations and growing pains.

If Mitch does not show significant growth by year end then I honestly think that Alex Smith will be a Chicago Bear in 2020 because it just makes too much sense considering where he's at in his career and the Bears possible predicament.  Chase Daniel is not an option to be the starter and he is not good enough competition to push Mitch, plus he is in the final year of his contract.

I am not sure they can afford a legit veteran.

A 2nd round pick may not be ready in 2020 to lead the Bears, but being better than 10 is not a high bar.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nate Stanley...if Nagy wants to use his QB as a game manager why not have another Kyle Orton type with a strong arm.

I do not think he wants a game manager. 

I think that Mitch has failed to be anything more than that.

The question I am trying to figure out is who's job does Trubisky cost?

There is no way you miss on the 2nd pick in the draft and everyone survives. It was either a garbage evaluation, which I think it was, or it was poor development.

My guess is Ragone is a dead man walking. He has been with Mitch the entire 3 years that he has had limited development and Pace will need someone to drive the bus over.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think drafting a QB in later rounds is a generally a waste of time.  Even if they are really good.

Why?  Because non first round QBs don't get the practice/game reps they need to develop on 90% of teams.