Predict Joker's box office

KManX89

With Joker projected to make anywhere from $75-103m opening weekend, I thought I'd start a thread where we make our own box office projections. I'm gonna separate it into 4 categories: OW domestic, WW domestic, WW overseas and WW total. 

Domestic OW: $90m
Domestic WW: $220m
Foreign WW: $200m
WW Total: $420m

An iconic character and strong word of mouth will get it a nice haul despite its R rating. I could even see it cracking $500m worldwide. It won't do Deadpool or Logan numbers, but it'll do good enough and judging by the glowing early buzz, it sounds like it'll deserve every penny. If that terriawful 50 Shades Film can make over $500m worldwide, Joker can definitely do it.

I honestly think this is going to bomb.  It has too many things going against it IMO.  It has no connection to any outside shared universe.  Its a character that has been over-saturated in film the past decade.  Its a villain movie only with no hero counterpart.  I don't know anyone who is planning on seeing this movie.  

I think this movie is more likely to have a long tail than a huge opening weekend. 

The combination of factors that its R-rated, has a good chunk of its target market not knowing what to expect, is loosely tied to an existing IP, but isnt a squeal leaves this in limbo of what we should expect as a "good" performance. Id expect some hesitation at first, because it has the more artsy feel, many of your average movie goers wont really believe the critics take, and will wait to see what their friends and the general public at large respond. And if its great, plus puts some ethos behind the Joker, it will have its die-hards going back again and again to worship it (as long as it doesnt tarnish the Batman lore, which would sink its longevity)

I know the current tracking is looking somewhere between $80-$90m opening, but thats been way off all year (even after adjusting) and there are only 11 R-rated movies all time to crack $75m domestically on its opening weekend. Id say thats a pretty good bar to shoot for. Us made $71m+, I think it should top that, and Halloween last year made $76m+, and it should likely get there too. But I think we see a long creeping tail as it will have a core audience that will continuously rave about it and go back to see it for the next couple of months

• Domestic Opening Weekend: $77m
  • Domestice Gross: $245m

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I honestly think this is going to bomb.  It has too many things going against it IMO.  It has no connection to any outside shared universe.  Its a character that has been over-saturated in film the past decade.  Its a villain movie only with no hero counterpart.  I don't know anyone who is planning on seeing this movie.  

This movie has no chance of bombing. This isn't some huge blockbuster with a large production budget.

I'm confused why this has its own thread, though. We have a thread for the movie and a box office thread.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1

I want to see it, but I wont see it in theaters.

I dont think it will bomb, but I dont think it will be a huge hit.  

WB doesnt have any clue what they are doing with DC properties.   Not really excited for anything coming from them anymore...not even Batman, and I ******* love Batman.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, MKnight82 said:

Define "bomb"? It's budget is $55 million. Double that for marketing (which hasn't been too much anyway to be honest). I think it makes that domestically which leaves international for profits? Loosely putting it.