Josh Allen [QB; Wyoming]

CWood21

He honestly reminds me a lot of Joe Flacco right now.  Somewhat inaccurate, but can play in a run heavy, deep play action based offense.  His aggressiveness gets him in trouble, but with that type of offense, you usually either are going deep, or if the safeties stay back and cover it, you can check it down to the RB or TE, which naturally is a high percentage pass.

Flake made it work extremely well with Torrey Smith.  And the Ravens invested in TEs and had an amazing receiving back in Ray Rice, so you can see how Flacco checks down to those two a lot while having a field stretcher to take advantage of his huge arm.

I feel hed have to go to a team that has an established, good veteran QB in the 2nd Round.  Teams that are looking for future QBs like the Saints, the Giants, the Chargers, the Steelers, and ironically the Ravens.  All guys with QBs close to their mid 30s, in the case of the Giants, Ravens, and Chargers, might be a little more pressure to start him, but for a team like the Steelers, could be the perfect fit to replace Roethlisberger.  Roethlisberger is going to play as long as he wants, he's still too good to bench, but he has shown an interest in retiring.  With them, hed have no pressure to start immediately.

I also am of the ilk that he is certainly a R2 prospect that is in need of sitting a season. His fit in AZ and Pitt would be quite nice, especially AZ who has zilch in terms of developmental QB talent (But, IMHO the Cards are going to be bad enough to snag one of the 'premier' QB prospects w/ David Johnson down and Palmer appearing to have hit the wall, albeit its VERY early in the season). He is a similar talent, as a prospect, to guys like Paxton Lynch and Brock Osweiler. Mobile, prototypical size, huge arm, good throwing on the run but otherwise extremely raw technically and not as 'flashy' as his physical tools would suggest.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Arizona and Pitt would be my two favorites for him, I think. 

Are either of those teams going to be in range to draft him?  That's probably the biggest question for either franchise, moreso Pittsburgh than Arizona.  Regardless, he probably is better off going to a situation where they have a veteran QB in place.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Are either of those teams going to be in range to draft him?  That's probably the biggest question for either franchise, moreso Pittsburgh than Arizona.  Regardless, he probably is better off going to a situation where they have a veteran QB in place.

I think Arizona could very easily...but it also depends on who all comes out. Lets say Darnold / Rosen / Jackson all declare. Rudolph is getting a lot of love it seems like (not really sure why, but I digress), is it completely out of the realm of possibility that he's the fifth quarterback off the board in that circumstance? I don't think he has to worry about getting passed up by someone like Mayfield at this juncture unless Allen just really struggles all season, but if he's the fifth quarterback off the board, he could last well into the teens or perhaps early 20's. I've seen multiple mocks that have him going outside of the top 15, and some that have him going in the 20's.

• 1 month later...

Josh Allen is Cam Newton, with a little less athleticism. I think he, just like Cam, will end up being somewhere around the 10th best QB or so...maybe having an elite season here and there, but never being consistent enough to be considered that lights-out franchise guy.

I guess Paxton Lynch isn't a bad player to compare him to either. Like Lynch, he was a very unfinished product, but the tools were there enough to warrant a 1st round pick. Regardless of whether or not Lynch (or Allen) reach their full potential, I am totally fine with a team taking them in the 1st round and trying to hit a homerun.

17 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Josh Allen is Cam Newton, with a little less athleticism. I think he, just like Cam, will end up being somewhere around the 10th best QB or so...maybe having an elite season here and there, but never being consistent enough to be considered that lights-out franchise guy.

Hell nah. $cam was a stud.

54 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Hell nah. $cam was a stud.

As a passer? No he was not. He was a 1-read QB that needed a ton of work. If Cam Newton was less athletic, he wouldn't have gone #1 overall. He had a little more natural accuracy than Allen has, but most of Cam's success came from running the football in college.

Also, thanks for consistently talking down to people, Calhoun. There's a big difference between debating and being a snob and you've crossed over that line so many times on here it makes me giggle. I respect your opinions and takes, but your pretentious attitude is irritating as hell.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

As a passer? No he was not. He was a 1-read QB that needed a ton of work. If Cam Newton was less athletic, he wouldn't have gone #1 overall. He had a little more natural accuracy than Allen has, but most of Cam's success came from running the football in college.

Also, thanks for consistently talking down to people, Calhoun. There's a big difference between debating and being a snob and you've crossed over that line so many times on here it makes me giggle. I respect your opinions and takes, but your pretentious attitude is irritating as hell.

Even if you ignore the obvious athletic and play style differences between the two....Cam was ridiculously successful. Time and again that season, whether  running or throwing, he stepped up and carried his team.

The athletic specimen and fellow draft faller comp for Allen that you're looking for is Logan Thomas.

Logan Thomas is my Josh Allen comparison. Incredible arm, prototype size, athletic, but incredibly inconsistent, poor footwork, "slow." Every time we've seen Allen against FBS defenses it looks like the game is moving too fast for him and he just breaks down. It's really hard to be high on this guy after watching him against Iowa and Oregon, even when you factor in how over matched his team was.

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Logan Thomas is my Josh Allen comparison. Incredible arm, prototype size, athletic, but incredibly inconsistent, poor footwork, "slow." Every time we've seen Allen against FBS defenses it looks like the game is moving too fast for him and he just breaks down. It's really hard to be high on this guy after watching him against Iowa and Oregon, even when you factor in how over matched his team was.

But can he play TE if he has to?

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're roughly halfway through the CFB season, has anyone's opinion really changed on Allen?

My overall opinion? No. Even last year, when I was trumpeting him as a prospect, he was high risk, high reward. He still has one of the highest ceilings in the class, still has a very low floor. 

That being said, what has changed for me is his readiness for the NFL game and his likelihood of being that franchise quarterback that I saw at times last year.  I don't see a guy who's going to be ready to come in and play, that's for sure. I thought after last year that with another season under his belt, some progression and improvement in his decision making, he may be a guy that could come in and start right away. He was my #2 quarterback headed into this season, and a top 5 pick for me. Obviously, that part has changed. His decision making is still a little wonky; there hasn't been much improvement there. His accuracy is still pretty inconsistent. He's not going to be ready to play when he comes out. I had a second round grade on him last year when he was debating on coming out, and I'm likely not going to have him lower than that by the end of the year, even with this dreadful season. I've simply seen enough that I think that there could be a franchise quarterback there...though I don't like his chances of reaching that as much as I did last year. But I think that gambit is worth a second rounder. If he plays strongly down the stretch, I could get him back into the first round where I had him to begin the season, but there are some sizable red flags with him that need to be acknowledged. 

Archived