Josh Allen [QB; Wyoming]

CWood21

Logan Thomas was a big body with a big arm and that's it.  Let's just say he was never in danger of being a 1st round pick.  55% completions with a 52 to 39 td/int ratio.  While Allen hasn't shown much improvement this year, he is better than Thomas.  Coming back hurt him for sure.  If he had left last year I'd feel more confident in him.  

16 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I'll just throw in a stat that could really effect how he looks passing in college. He leads all the top QB prospects in being pressured on each pass. Over a quarter of the time, he has somebody very close to him when he is throwing the ball and his receivers are not special and need extra time to get open, a bad combination if you ask me. According to the stats, his OL is not bad, it's terrible and his WR's have great difficulty getting separation, so some team will draft him in round 1 to see what he can do with real talent around him.

Their run game is sub 3.5 ypc as well. In the game this week, I think they were under 3 yards per carry. I think they were under 3 against Gardner Webb as well. That's just brutal. The offensive line is really, really bad. 

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm a big Josh Allen fan, but this is more of a negative than anything else. Dudes that get murked in college tend to develop happy feet. When the WR's can't get open, they feel like they have to make presnap decisions on who they'll throw to. Bad habits develop when you have dookie all around you...typically.

That being said, I still like Allen and think he'll go in the 1st round. He has a ton of talent, but I don't think we should bump him up because of how bad his supporting cast is. It's certainly worth noting, but I wouldn't move his draft arrow up or down based on that.

If you are just looking at his talent and intangibles, I agree, but for those who knock him down for performance, I think his actual situation needs to be looked at. The Combine or his pro day will absolutely decide his fate, that's the beauty of the Combine, the scouts, HC's and GM's get to see you right beside all those glamarous QB's from much bigger programs, who play in much tougher leagues and you come out looking head and shoulders better than them, then your draft status take a huge ride up the charts, if you fail in that situation, you will take a substantial drop. Once you reach the Combine stage, your production during the season takes a huge drop in importance.

Josh Allen is a mid-round project at best from a stock perspective. 

Tantalizing physical tools may get him pushed into day two in a best-case-scenario, but he's ill-equipped mentally for the pro level both at the moment or any time in the near future. Accuracy goes through wildly erratic periods and he's the epitome of a collegiate level pivot who trusts his arm talent far too much.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Gabbert's pocket presence, or lack thereof, was what did him in for me.  It was non-existent when he was at Missouri, and he really never developed it in the pros.

For me, it was trying to figure out why anyone in the NFL would want to draft Sunshine when he couldn't even run the veer. 

1 hour ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

What is Allen's floor/ceiling in the NFL?

Floor: Flacco?

Ceiling: ???

Ceiling: I've been using Big Ben as my comp for him, so I'll stick to it here. A less efficient Big Ben. 

Floor: A punctual Josh Freeman? 

1 hour ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

What is Allen's floor/ceiling in the NFL?

Floor: Flacco?

Ceiling: ???

A known floor of Flacco with any reasonable ceiling expectation would easily make him the #1 overall pick.  That's way too high of a floor.

It's tough to give Josh Allen a comparison because he is just so raw. If he makes it as an NFL quarterback, he won't be anywhere near the player you see today. As I've stressed before, his footwork as of right now is simply horrendous and he is lacking in anticipation on throws. Tool-wise, he is clearly in an upper echelon in terms of arm strength and his athletic ability is above average. I do think we need to start lowering our expectations a bit on how he might test as an athlete because I see these Cam Newton comparison thrown around and it seems like people don't fully fathom just how ELITE Cam is athletically (97th percentile broad jump at 248 with a 4.56 40-yard dash is ridiculous). Kaepernick is probably the best comparison but even then, he's below Kaep as a runner, Kaep at least drove through his throws in college, and Kaep had ridiculous production (and beat a top 10 team his senior year) while Allen hasn't had that.

On 11/1/2017 at 1:55 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

Interesting notion.  In a sense, i can see it...But i honestly think Sunshine actually had more charisma/presence as an interview.  That wasn't really his problem.  There is definitely something a bit...offputting about Allen's interviews that i've seen though.  Not that it matters much, that's the sort of thing i'd be happier to coach up than accuracy as a thrower of the football.  But it is interesting when profiling the guy as an overall prospect.

On the field though, they're kinda polar opposites so far as i can tell.  Other than both being big prototypical sized guys with good arms.

Archived