Josh Allen [QB; Wyoming]

CWood21

Is Lynch really that bad?  I never did see him play last year or in any preseason games so far.  Alex Smith looked terrible coming in that rookie year from a zone read system, not sure why Lynch never is getting more of a chance this year.  I mean yeah bringing in Osweiler who they let go after being the supposed air apparent is very odd...  But that Denver team has way more problems than just the QB position.  The DL is not nearly good enough, same with the ILB position.  Does not help Shane Ray has been a bust at OLB and the corners are not getting any younger and not to even mention that Offensive line which not very good or talented.   So it is way more than just get a QB and it will all be fine, but Lynch is that hopeless?  

The issue with Lynch is attitude. He is very much an 'awww shucks', super laidback personality that doesn't seem to have the drive. He made it this far purely on physical talent, which is a feat in itself, but he doesn't have that extra edge competitively. He should be a starting QB, and with his tools should have EASILY won the job against Trevor. But he didn't because he doesn't have the dedication. I would bet my left arm that he doesn't stay late for film sessions or come in early to train. Just seems like the type who didn't get noticed as having a poor work ethic because he wasn't at strip clubs all night or getting DWI's . Instead he was doing enough to not get noticed but not enough to make that mental jump from college to NFL. And that isn't enough at this point in his career, coming out of a non NFL type offense, having to film study each game, etc.

I hope he gets in sooner than later to see if he flipped his drive on but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

On 11/16/2017 at 5:38 PM, Counselor said:

I would love Lynch to pan out. But word is he has no work ethic and isn't a leader not to mention his lack of pocket awareness and other deficiencies. 

These strike me as things you try to identify during the draft process before you spend a 1st round pick on said player.  I mean, unless he was a fantastic actor in interviews, this would be the sort of thing that - no matter how physically talented a guy is - would have me downgrading a QB prospect if I came out of an interview suspecting this of him.  You want to chance a Day 3 pick on him based purely on physical traits?  Probably still not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't ride anyone too hard for taking that approach.  But you spend a 1st on a QB, you expect him to have all the traits (physical and mental) even if he may lack the technique/polish.

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

These strike me as things you try to identify during the draft process before you spend a 1st round pick on said player.  I mean, unless he was a fantastic actor in interviews, this would be the sort of thing that - no matter how physically talented a guy is - would have me downgrading a QB prospect if I came out of an interview suspecting this of him.  You want to chance a Day 3 pick on him based purely on physical traits?  Probably still not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't ride anyone too hard for taking that approach.  But you spend a 1st on a QB, you expect him to have all the traits (physical and mental) even if he may lack the technique/polish.

He is so dang goofy. I think this just increases my interest in Baker. He has passion even if it is too much or flashes in a negative way at least he is a competitor and not some goofy, gattica playing, wearing grandmas knitted sweaters goof ball

• 2 months later...

I still think the anti-Allen hype train is probably charging too hard in the other direction as a counter to the over-exuberant pro-Allen frenzy we had after last season especially, and seems to be picking up steam in the media again.  Sorta overcorrecting.

To me, Allen is like a bigger built Jay Cutler, if he'd come out with basically half the experience under his belt.  Cutler was also from a "non-traditional" program for QBs, with some lackluster comp% and while he had some "signature wins" on his resume, never really turned a lower caliber program into a powerhouse either.  It'd scare the bejeepers out of me to actually spend that 1st round pick on Allen as a GM.  Especially since he's gonna need to sit for a while at least, just to get his feet under him jumping from Wyoming to the NFL stage.  To say nothing of all the details he needs some serious work on with his actual game on the field.  But everything is there to be that type of QB at the next level.  And if his bigger frame makes him more durable/reliable, that's a plus.  If you can actually coach some of that hero complex out of him, you may really have something special.

Kinda comes back to the way you look at a guy like Jay Cutler and his career though.  Is that a QB you can win a championship with?  With those high highs, and low lows?  The wows and the wtfs?  Even if Allen pans out, that's really the only sort of QB i can see him becoming.  The sort that's going to dazzle one moment, then have everyone tearing their hair out the next.  Live by the sword, die by the sword type of thing.

For a QB needy team, i think it's entirely reasonably worth a gamble outside the top-10/15 of the 1st round.  Especially when you look at the mess that's coming down the pipe next year.  You can sit Allen for a year (like Mahomes), and still have him be a better project than anything you're going to find in next year's draft as it looks now.  I mean, who are you going to hitch your wagon to in 2019 ahead of Allen this year?  Drew Lock?  Deondre Francois?  Fitzgerald coming off major injury?  Will Grier?  Unless someone takes huge steps...yuck.

If you're the actual man behind the trigger, drafting Josh Allen is basically playing Russian Roulette with your career.  But if you need a QB, you need one bad.  You've gotta find one somewhere, and he's a guy with the upside to make you look like a genius.

Ironically, that desperation is probably what will land Allen in one of the worst possible situations for him.  If he lands in the wrong spot, without the right support and patience, he has the potential to bust out spectacularly.

High risk, medium reward QB prospect.

18 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I still think the anti-Allen hype train is probably charging too hard in the other direction as a counter to the over-exuberant pro-Allen frenzy we had after last season especially, and seems to be picking up steam in the media again.  Sorta overcorrecting.

To me, Allen is like a bigger built Jay Cutler, if he'd come out with basically half the experience under his belt.  Cutler was also from a "non-traditional" program for QBs, with some lackluster comp% and while he had some "signature wins" on his resume, never really turned a lower caliber program into a powerhouse either.  It'd scare the bejeepers out of me to actually spend that 1st round pick on Allen as a GM.  Especially since he's gonna need to sit for a while at least, just to get his feet under him jumping from Wyoming to the NFL stage.  To say nothing of all the details he needs some serious work on with his actual game on the field.  But everything is there to be that type of QB at the next level.  And if his bigger frame makes him more durable/reliable, that's a plus.  If you can actually coach some of that hero complex out of him, you may really have something special.

Kinda comes back to the way you look at a guy like Jay Cutler and his career though.  Is that a QB you can win a championship with?  With those high highs, and low lows?  The wows and the wtfs?  Even if Allen pans out, that's really the only sort of QB i can see him becoming.  The sort that's going to dazzle one moment, then have everyone tearing their hair out the next.  Live by the sword, die by the sword type of thing.

For a QB needy team, i think it's entirely reasonably worth a gamble outside the top-10/15 of the 1st round.  Especially when you look at the mess that's coming down the pipe next year.  You can sit Allen for a year (like Mahomes), and still have him be a better project than anything you're going to find in next year's draft as it looks now.  I mean, who are you going to hitch your wagon to in 2019 ahead of Allen this year?  Drew Lock?  Deondre Francois?  Fitzgerald coming off major injury?  Will Grier?  Unless someone takes huge steps...yuck.

If you're the actual man behind the trigger, drafting Josh Allen is basically playing Russian Roulette with your career.  But if you need a QB, you need one bad.  You've gotta find one somewhere, and he's a guy with the upside to make you look like a genius.

Ironically, that desperation is probably what will land Allen in one of the worst possible situations for him.  If he lands in the wrong spot, without the right support and patience, he has the potential to bust out spectacularly.

High risk, medium reward QB prospect.

He also compares well to Joe Flacco, that's type of career I see having although he is more raw and mobile than flacco.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:19 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

The issue with Lynch is attitude. He is very much an 'awww shucks', super laidback personality that doesn't seem to have the drive. He made it this far purely on physical talent, which is a feat in itself, but he doesn't have that extra edge competitively. He should be a starting QB, and with his tools should have EASILY won the job against Trevor. But he didn't because he doesn't have the dedication. I would bet my left arm that he doesn't stay late for film sessions or come in early to train. Just seems like the type who didn't get noticed as having a poor work ethic because he wasn't at strip clubs all night or getting DWI's . Instead he was doing enough to not get noticed but not enough to make that mental jump from college to NFL. And that isn't enough at this point in his career, coming out of a non NFL type offense, having to film study each game, etc.

I hope he gets in sooner than later to see if he flipped his drive on but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

When I saw Lynch at the combine I thought that found Jay Cutler and stretched him. Peculiar guy. 

Allen still needs a lot of work on his mechanics, but the upside is out of this world, if he ever puts it together. He's athletic and oh that arm, totally elite!!!

He is going round 1, some team will take a shot somewhere between 15 and 25 and pray they can develop him and if he pans out, he'll be a superstar!

Honestly if you look back at the last 4-5 drafts and the QBs that went in the top 10, then Josh Allen should definitely go top 10.  He's a better prospect than Trubisky, Goff, Mariota, Winston, and Bortles.  And honestly the gap between him and Wentz isn't that big. 

I like him a lot as a prospect.  He's got physical tools you can't teach and I was impressed by his performance at the senior bowl.  He showed that he can improve with coaching.  And that he can throw with touch and not just power.  He's my #2 QB right now.

Top 5 QB Prospects in 2018 Draft

1. Sam Darnold (USC)
  2. Josh Allen (Wyoming)
  3. Josh Rosen (UCLA)
  4. Lamar Jackson (Louisville)
  5. Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma)

The top 4 are surefire franchise QBs IMO.  Not sure about Baker Mayfield.  He's a complete mystery to me.  Nothing from his tape at Oklahoma leads me to believe he can succeed in a pro-style offense.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Honestly if you look back at the last 4-5 drafts and the QBs that went in the top 10, then Josh Allen should definitely go top 10.  He's a better prospect than Trubisky, Goff, Mariota, Winston, and Bortles.  And honestly the gap between him and Wentz isn't that big. 

I like him a lot as a prospect.  He's got physical tools you can't teach and I was impressed by his performance at the senior bowl.  He showed that he can improve with coaching.  And that he can throw with touch and not just power.  He's my #2 QB right now.

Top 5 QB Prospects in 2018 Draft

1. Sam Darnold (USC)
  2. Josh Allen (Wyoming)
  3. Josh Rosen (UCLA)
  4. Lamar Jackson (Louisville)
  5. Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma)

The top 4 are surefire franchise QBs IMO.  Not sure about Baker Mayfield.  He's a complete mystery to me.  Nothing from his tape at Oklahoma leads me to believe he can succeed in a pro-style offense.

There is no universe where Allen is a better prospect than Goff or Winston were coming out of the draft unless your number one metric is the ability to throw da ball over dem mountains. Not saying there's no chance he might be a better pro (though I won't take that bet), but I don't see where you can come to that conclusion.

26 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

There is no universe where Allen is a better prospect than Goff or Winston were coming out of the draft unless your number one metric is the ability to throw da ball over dem mountains. Not saying there's no chance he might be a better pro (though I won't take that bet), but I don't see where you can come to that conclusion.

Unlike most people I was never too enamored with Goff or Winston.  Goff was slight of build, lacked athleticism/mobility, and played in an air-raid attack that had few if any pro principles.  Winston was a turnover machine with a funky delivery and limited athleticism on a team loaded with future NFL players.  I was never that big on the 2015 or 2016 QB Drafts.  With that said, I will admit Wentz has surpassed my expectations.  I thought he was the best QB from the 2016 draft but that he would only be an above average starter rather than an MVP candidate.   I should have been higher on his potential. 

Josh Allen is bigger, stronger, and more athletic than Goff and Winston.  In addition, he's coming out of an offense with pro concepts unlike Goff who came from an air raid offense.  And unlike Winston who was essentially surrounded by NFL players at every position while in college that made him look good, Josh Allen has been surrounded by subpar Group of 5 talent let alone the NFL stars Winston played alongside. 

Now I will say I'm not 100% sold on Josh Allen as a future superstar.  The only can't miss guy from this QB class IMO is Sam Darnold.  He has all the tools and intangibles to be a superstar QB at the next level.  Josh Allen just has the best tools of the guys with question marks.  So I'll take a shot on him before I take a shot at Rosen, Jackson, or Mayfield.

Archived