WK1 Breakdown: The Bully Edition

JAF-N72EX

WARNING!!!
THIS IS THREAD MAY LOAD SLOW FOR SOME PEOPLE AND I APOLOGIZE

time-100-influential-photos-neil-leifer-muhammad-ali-vs-sonny-liston-56.jpg

This is a breakdown of all offensive snaps, including penalties, using the following format 
Quarter: 
Drive #: 
Play #: 
Play type: 
Field location: 
Down and Distance: 
Result:
All plays that end in a penalty will be denoted in ()
Full play in All-22: Each play will be posted, unedited, as a reference for you to look at yourselves.

Summary: 

Good/Bad play count: <--I was going to grade each player and take it seriously but this is already very time consuming as it is, so right now it means nothing.
=========================

Quarter: 1
Drive #: 1
Play #: 1
Play type: Run
Field location: Own 43 
Down and Distance: 1st & 10
Result: Fumble, negated by defensive holding (no play) 5 yards, 1st D
Full play in All-22: 

---------------------
Summary: One of Nagy's good play calls in the game came on the very first play but was negated by poor execution. A really good play call, in fact.

Good job by everyone, except Cohen. At first, I thought this was on Mitch who misread it but Nagy refuted this during one of his presser's. Looks like Cohen lined up too close to the LOS and/or just dropped it.

Nagy sends out all 3 RB's in a 32 personnel against a 3-3-5 nickel front cover-2 with Mike Davis playing the flex position inside the numbers (this had more to do with his blocking ability because nobody is scared of Davis lining up outside ). Pettine/Packers D was clearly not sure what to expect against this type of personnel, in this formation. The RPO is all about mismatches and numbers and Nagy does a good job of taking what would be a typical 10 vs 11 matchups and essentially turning into a 9 vs 7 situations on the boundary that should have gone for a huge gain. Good job by the OL and both TE's on maintaining their outside zone blocking assignments.

isseUiU.png

WGRCGV8.png

Z16xXs5.png

Drive #: 1
Play #: 2
Play type: Run
Field location: Own 48
Down and Distance: 1st and 10
Result: 5 yard gain
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary: 
Another good play call here by Nagy to make the most out of the size advantage they have up front in one-on-one situations and essentially playing the numbers game again.

With 91 playing the wide 9 and the safety (Savage)  back-peddling into coverage 16 yards downfield after Miller goes in motion to the weak side-- taking themselves out of the play. This made it a 6 vs 5 match-up through the middle for 5 yards on an early down. Good job by Davis on the hard run and also the OL here to create the space. 

2syBaNt.png

Play #: 3
Play type: Pass
Field location: OPP 47
Down and Distance: 2nd & 5
Result: Pass incomplete - Tipped at the LOS
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary: 
This is a terrible job by Mitch at selling the PA in order to draw in the defense that should have been an easy first down.

This is one of the more frustrating plays from Mitch I had seen all game. Arob beats his man on a stick route to the flag. If Mitch sells this, Smith moves inside and is still engaging and not in a position to bat this down at the LOS, which makes this an easy high percentage throw for a first down on a 2nd and 5 while also putting the offense in Packers territory and only 1 first down away from FG range. 

PozUjl6.png

0juNoiT.png

Play #: 4
Field location: Opp 47
Down and Distance: 3rd & 5
Result: QB scramble, 7 yard gain, 1D
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary: 
Mitch does a good job of recognizing the single-high zone coverage that was masked as man and improvising on a broken play by running the ball for a first down on a 3rd and 5 -- before it was too late. However, he has to do a better job at recognizing the blitz, pre-snap. The OL did their job. In fact, I think this play was designed for the much more athletic Burton instead of statue Shaheen. That said, this was a good disguise by Pettine and a good play by the LB Martinez for not dropping too deep on the clear-out route up the seam and allowing Shaheen enough space to get open. 

*I'm gonna speak as if I'm talking to Nagy as if he is just another member on this forum because the level of ineptitude he displays here doesn't even match that of the worst poster on this entire site.*

I would like to know what exactly was your plan here because Mitch saved your *** on this play.

On a 3rd and 5, you send your 2 best route runners and catchers(1 and 2) on the field to play decoy on the same side leaving just ONE option left on the field that takes them past the first down marker and you chose that person to be.....Shaheen (3)!? 

And to make matters worse, your OL has been playing great for the past year but how much faith do you really have in them by leaving Davis in to help block against 4 rushers? Or did you just simply expect Pettine to bring a heavy dose of blitzing and got out-coached on this play? I'm going with the latter.

XVHtrPf.png

I wish I could say those were the worst parts of this play but alas I would be lying! You have 2WR's, 1 TE and 1 flex RB playing against 6DB's and 1LB (4 vs 7) in coverage! For anyone out there who understands basic math and football for dummies, who are you betting on to win this matchup every time on 3rd down? Yeah, me too.

1kVXGWs.png

Play #: 5
Field location: OPP 40
Down and Distance: 1st and 10
Result: Pass incomplete

Full play in All-22: 

Summary: *Continues to rant to Nagy*. Oh god, where do I start with this hot mess? 

Ok, Nagy, you ran the ball on first down the last 2 times and you wanna change it up...I get it. But why is Mitch lining up with an empty backfield? This is a terrible way of disguising it. (although this may have been to set up another play)

4RC0CqR.png

Why on earth are you only giving Mitch one viable option in the secondary AGAIN with no security blanket underneath? 

Jxk8aC6.png

Why are you doing this against a THREE MAN RUSH and ONE ******* SPY, virtually making it a 3 vs 7 match-up in the secondary!?!
Why in god's name do you have 7 guys in to block 3 pass rushers! Couldn't Mitch have used those extra bodies?
Why in the hell is a 5'10 200lb RB put in a position to block a 6'5 265lb pass rusher in the first place!?

vRr7DYO.png
nSLWn9D.png

I know why. Because Pettine and the defense saw coming a MILE AWAY -- with the exception of the bootleg and Montgomery, staying in to block,!

I bet Pettine said, "they're gonna try to use the field side space and if nothing is there, watch for Mitch to take off or check down--Smith, stay home to protect against the outside run. Martinez, you watch Mitch and protect the middle. Greene, watch the RB". 

What happened? Three identical routes at two levels trying to use the space of the field. Not even a check down option for Mitch. I bet even Pettine was scratching his head at this play!

Play #: 6
Play type: Shovel pass --slash--run 
Field location: OPP 40
Result: QB scramble for 1 yard on a broken play 
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary: 
This was supposed to be a shovel pass (which is essentially a glorified run play) to Braunecker but credit to Clark for pushing Whitehair back just enough to disrupt Brauneckers' path and to Smith for recovering in time to JUST do enough to cause Mitch to have to make a move at the same time the pitch was supposed to be made. 

I don't mind this type of play. It's the same type of play Nagy has used a few times last season and had success with (including the TD against the Seahawks). This was just a different variance of it.

Again, I would venture to say this was another play designed more for Burton but because Braunecker is the only other athletic TE we have Nagy went with him instead and I don't mind it personally. 

A good defensive play so I don't blame anyone for this broken play. I like the play call so I don't blame Nagy. I can't blame Whitehair because even though he got pushed back he did a good job given the circumstances. His job was to force the block away from the play side and he did that. He was just at a slight leverage disadvantage from the snap against a good strong lineman in Clark -- one step-less and this goes for a medium gain. Not gonna blame Braunecker for being late to the hole because we know he's still raw and learning the offense. Maybe he lined up closer to the LOS than he was supposed to or forgot the count? 

Play #: 7
Field location: Opp 39
Down and Distance: 3rd and 9
Result: QB sack -- loss of 6 yards
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary: 
This is where the OL (and blocking in general) started to get super ugly. In fact, they potentially cost us 6 points here on a 3rd and 10. 

Gabriel runs a go route to draw the deep safety to his side and Cohen gets wide open across the middle of the field just as he comes off his break with nobody to cover on that side. Unfortunately, this happened at the same time Martinez comes in clean because Long and Daniels have a miscommunication. 

Meanwhile, both Braunecker and Davis looked lost on their blocking assignments during this play. Braunecker was supposed to delay and release but it turned out to be more like; hold block, turn around, look at the defender and then pretend like you know what you're doing. 

Ugly. Downright ugly.

ExfNCO5.jpg

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 2

Make it into seperate posts.  Will probably load faster.

I think you meant down "where is Sowell?" not "Cowell."  WTF was Braunecker doing?  Is he playing for the other team?I would be livid in film.  

Sowell #85 was on his man when Braunecker #82 came and knocked him down after dancing around like a stooge.  That is one of craziest things I've seen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think you meant down "where is Sowell?" not "Cowell." 

Yeah it was typo on my part and I didn't feel like going back and creating another one lol. It seemed fitting because with the entire offense seemingly getting bullied.

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

WTF was Braunecker doing?  Is he playing for the other team?I would be livid in film.  

It's funny you say that. Here is my summary of that play.

Someone needs to ask Ben "The Bully" Braunecker whose side he's really on? This is the second time in the last 3 offensive plays that he has done nothing but get in Davis' way. Now he's bullying his own teammates on the field during a game.

He comes off the motion and is supposed to be the lead blocker through the hole. Instead, all he does is run to the hole, blocks Davis' path, studder steps a bit looking for Cowell, then runs over and pushes him down for no reason like a bully. He didn't even touch a single defender during that entire play either. Bully Braunecker needs anger management and Nagy needs to get ahold of his locker room!

Man screw grading this play. Braunecker done messed up my vibe. Braunecker gets 5 points deducted from his total for being a bully.

In all seriousness, a run up the middle in these type of situations is football 101. You're just trying to give your offense some breathing room. That said, Braunecker wasn't the only bully on this play.....the OL got manhandled. That D just pushed them wherever they wanted

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

More you put into one post (pics, video) the slower the page loads.

Ahh, alright. Will do. I assumed it wouldn't matter because they would be on the same page # anyhow. Besides, doing that way would save from people having to scroll for 60 seconds too lol. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

Drive #: 2
Play #: 1
Field location: Opp 36
Down and Distance: 1st & 10
Result: 4 yard gain
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary:
 Good misdirection run here by Montgomery for 4 yards -- see what happens when you run the ball on early downs Nagy? The OL does a good job of containing the outside and creating just enough space. That said, Daniels got beat by Clark again. 

Field location: Opp 32
Down and Distance: 2nd & 6
Result: 6 yard gain
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary:
 Another strong run by Montgomery with some good blocking but I can't help but think that this should have gone for even more yardage if he was a little bit faster. Not knocking him though, just thinking out loud.

Gotta give Nagy credit here for recognizing on the first drive the run game was working on early downs had it not been for Cohen's fumble. Will he stick with it though??? (We all know the answer)

Field location: Opp 26
Result: 1 yard gain
Full play in All-22: 

-------------------
Summary: 
The entire OL gets an F minus on this circus with both Daniels and Long being the ringleaders. Clark sheds both of them and makes a play in a matter of 3 seconds -- not exaggerating. According to the playback timer for this play, the snap happens at the 28 second mark and Clark has Montgomery at 31 second mark.  Unacceptable to say the least.

I like the play call in general because it's designed to take advantage of conservative defenses in the trenches and run plays away like these were called for at this point of the game.

KyJuQAO.jpg

OPQAeQV.png

Play #: 4
Field location: Opp 25
Down and Distance: 2nd & 9
Result: 4 yard gain
Full play in All-22:
-------------------
Summary:
 : I understand the play call was a counter to freeze Martinez but I still wish Davis would have just shot through the hole instead because he had some daylight. Still got 4 yards to make it a more manageable 3rd down so I'm not complaining. Solid job overall by the OL here. Braunecker should have been through the hole already before Davis though instead of just getting in his way and stopping his momentum.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

Play #: 5
Field location: Opp 21
Down and Distance: 3rd & 5
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary: 
Oh what should have been. I don't care the OL got beat by a 3 man rush because this should have still been a first down and alot more had Mitch just pulled the trigger earlier in the play.

This is a good play design to get Cohen in the open field. I see Reid and Pederson both use these types as well. It's a low risk, high reward.

Mc56ILk.jpg
V431mpV.jpg
7HmbvQk.jpg
saHcic0.jpg
P1cfrhV.jpg

Drive #: 3
Play #: 1
Field location: Own 4
Down and Distance: 1st & 10
Full play in All-22: 
-------------------
Summary:  
Someone needs to ask Ben "The Bully" Braunecker whose side he's really on? This is the second time in the last 3 offensive plays that he has done nothing but get in Davis' way. Now he's bullying his own teammates on the field during a game.

He comes off the motion and is supposed to be the lead blocker through the hole. Instead, all he does is run to the hole, blocks Davis' path, stutter steps a bit looking for Cowell, then runs over and pushes him down for no reason like a bully. He didn't even touch a single defender during that entire play either. Bully Braunecker needs anger management and Nagy needs to get ahold of his locker room!

In all seriousness, a run up the middle in these type of situations is football 101. You're just trying to give your offense some breathing room. That said, Braunecker wasn't the only bully on this play.....the OL got manhandled. That D just pushed them wherever they wanted.

EiwLTcM.jpg
yyXiGoI.jpg

QYZLJhu.jpg
Yq4wLAL.jpg

QmRILPm.jpg

5U3i9qG.jpg
sPC3Na3.jpg

VHNOAIZ.png

Edited by JustAnotherFan

Field location: Own 5
Down and Distance: 2nd & 9
Result: 5 yard gain
Full play in All-22:

-------------------
Summary:
 We're on our 3rd drive of the game and we have yet to see Mitch go through his progressions. Not one time! And this time it costs us. 

Sure he hit Arob for a 5 yard gain but he had a 4.4 runner, in Patterson, wide open on the screen with the closest defender being 10 yards downfield who was occupied by Gabriel. Mitch doesn't even look his way. If he turns around and throws this pass, it's a first down and more instead of a 3rd and 4 backed up in the endzone. 

Mitch has 3 options (well 4 if you count the flare route); 2 hitch routes and the tunnel screen to Patterson lined up on the wide side of the field. Watch Mitch's eyes after the snap. He only looks at Cohen on the quick hitch and then turns right around and throws it to Arob as he comes out of his break on the hitch. He doesn't even look over his other options. Whatsmore, he doesn't even set his feet before he throws the ball. Luckily the pass was only 10 yards away.

It's plays like this that reeks of Nagy coddling Mitch. The idealistic coach is trying to "keep it simple".

The OL gets pushed back again by a 4 man rush. I know Leno sees the corner blitz coming off the edge but that's still no excuse.

ccEOtQj.jpg

O9gYLwI.jpg

Field location: Own 10
Down and Distance: 3rd & 4
Result: Incomplete pass -- DPI (no play), 6 yards, 1st D
Full play in All-22:

-------------------
Summary:
 Man this play seems like a missed opportunity by Nagy--but only in hindsight. 

The offense finally get to a man-coverage, single high look for the first time in the game vs their 2x2 set (a favorable matchup) with Arob lined up field-side wide. Arob abuses CB Brown right off the snap on a fade route and has him beat all the way down the sidelines and into the end zone.

And I know what you're thinking---so why didn't Mitch throw him the ball then? Well, because if he did then we would be hearing "Mitch throwing into double coverage" and potentially hearing "omg, he threw a pick and gave the offense a short field". Or even worse "omg, he just threw a pick 6". 

So what's my point and why do I say this? Because Arob was the only deep route on the play, meaning he was the only real threat to the free safety playing deep (who was lined up 15 yards downfield presnap and back-peddling 20 yards). All of the other 3 routes only went for depths of 4 yards, 4 yards and 9 yards from the LOS -- remember, this was on a 3rd and 4. 

Here is the original play

tkPjCY5.jpg

I say missed opportunity by Nagy in hindsight because if there is another deep route somewhere else on the field during that play then the safety is forced to make a choice instead of only having to focus on one (Arob). 

Ideally something like this:

9QL39hg.jpg

*Getting my notes mixed up on some plays and now I'm forgetting to add the rest to others* 

I have a feeling this is gonna be another play that Nagy throws into his memory bank and we'll see it again at some point this season with adjustments made.
Anyhow, enough of the "what if's", I just wanted to point this out is all. Let's back to what actually happened.

On this play, the defense blitzes with 5 and the OL does a relatively decent job of picking it, with the help of a chip and release by Cohen, by once again struggle against the stunt. Daniels does a good job of recovering but still gets pushed back. Mitch once again takes the snap and never takes his eyes off his first read while looking into the direction of Arob and Patterson before throwing the ball to Patterson after seeing the defender make contact with him. Besides, as I illustrated above, he didn't have any another choice--atleast to him anyhow because he refuses to go through his progressions and see Gabriel coming free across the first down marker.

I'll give Mitch credit for recognizing the contact and taking the free play but he has to learn to create opportunities himself and not just take advantage of the situations because those won't there very often.

No problem with the play call. Nagy gave Mitch 3 options that take the offense to or past the sticks to live for another 4 downs. Anyways, play ends with DPI and the offense survives.

Edited by JustAnotherFan