Around the league discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, JDD said:

So is Balt this good? I mean they are destroying teams.  It feels like they are playing on another level. What is everyone missing when they play them?

I just think since they traded for Peters there defense transformed. Which greatly helped their pass rush. Because of that, no teams have been able to gain leads and force Lamar to be a pure thrower. They have been able to just lean on the rushing attack, which allows Lamar to pass for 150+ yards and 4/5 TDs in a game. 

Edited by buno67

5 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

They’re literally just running the ball...

They’re the first team to successfully buck the trend of being pass heavy and have built an offensive roster around running the ball.

Most defenses nowadays are running a nickel as a base and don’t invest in off ball linebackers like the did a decade or two ago.  Most teams simply don’t have the personnel to match up at this point.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re the first team to successfully buck the trend of being pass heavy and have built an offensive roster around running the ball.

Most defenses nowadays are running a nickel as a base and don’t invest in off ball linebackers like the did a decade or two ago.  Most teams simply don’t have the personnel to match up at this point.

We match up pretty well. Greedy and Ward in man outside, Mack Wilson on Andrews and stack the damn box.

• Like 2

From my experience, the way to beat this team is to blitz the crap out of the edges with speed. Make them press it hard inside. Run right at the mesh point of the zone/read and force him to hand it off. Smash him every play with your "read" DE and see how long he lasts.

The other thing you can do is gap exchange their zone/read stuff. Attack the QB with the DE and loop your linebacker outside for the QB when he inevitably pulls. Force the QB to keep and get over the top with your linebacker automatically.

Against their defense? You have to attack them head-on.

I don't think teams know how to defend the Ravens yet. Because they are so vanilla with what they do, it's only going to be a matter of time before someone solves the formula. This has happened before and every time, someone figures out how to stop it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

From my experience, the way to beat this team is to blitz the crap out of the edges with speed. Make them press it hard inside. Run right at the mesh point of the zone/read and force him to hand it off. Smash him every play with your "read" DE and see how long he lasts.

The other thing you can do is gap exchange their zone/read stuff. Attack the QB with the DE and loop your linebacker outside for the QB when he inevitably pulls. Force the QB to keep and get over the top with your linebacker automatically.

Against their defense? You have to attack them head-on.

I don't think teams know how to defend the Ravens yet. Because they are so vanilla with what they do, it's only going to be a matter of time before someone solves the formula. This has happened before and every time, someone figures out how to stop it.

Agreed.

I think you crack open the high school defensive playbooks and start utilizing 5-2, 4-4, etc.

Man up, account for Jackson with a spy and make him beat you repetitively with his arm.  He may throw for 300 yards, but I think he makes some mistakes too. If he can torch you with his arm against man coverage, so be it, he’s apparently unstoppable then.

I just can’t see letting them pound the ball or let him run it without taking hits.  

I’d personally try a 5-2.

Vernon and Thomas playing almost a wide 9 alignment to force containment, Larry and Sheldon over the guards, and Devaroe at nose.

Mack and Schobert are good enough in coverage to man up with TE’s and we’ve got man press corners on the outside.

Randall is a good man cover safety too if needed.  

• Like 2

For any successful QB the answer always seems to be consistent pressure.

Forcing them to make a decision on what to do presnap. The best ones know where to go with the ball and how to adjust. 

Make Lamar to decide early and know the likely escape route.

If you just spy eventually someone gets open or he still can create missed tackles and run. 

They are too good to shut down but this way you get a shot to create some to's. 

On offense its hard to get any big plays on them at this point with Smith and Peters in the fold. Best bet is running the ball and going play action. 

You can't just sit in soft zones. Their TE's are killing teams because there are too many eyes on Lamar Jackson. Teams just need to blitz the crap out of him and plan man behind it. Make him throw tight window ropes, not dump-off's to his TE's sitting in seams.

That's why I don't like spies on him. Plus, spies don't even matter. He's too fast to effectively spy him anyways. Unless you want to play 0 and spy him with your S.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You can't just sit in soft zones. Their TE's are killing teams because there are too many eyes on Lamar Jackson. Teams just need to blitz the crap out of him and plan man behind it. Make him throw tight window ropes, not dump-off's to his TE's sitting in seams.

That's why I don't like spies on him. Plus, spies don't even matter. He's too fast to effectively spy him anyways. Unless you want to play 0 and spy him with your S.

Like you said, you need to keep the edge.

Maybe some mush rush?  That used to give Vick some issues back in the day.

Like you said, you need to keep the edge.

Maybe some mush rush?  That used to give Vick some issues back in the day.

I hate the mush rush. You have to play zone behind it and that's why Jackson hits his TE's so easily. I think HEAVY blitzing from the edge is what you do to him.

Here's what killed Vick:

They blitzed his throwing arm and spied on the back side. He ran himself into the spy every time. But the key is that you HAVE TO OVERLOAD THE CRAP out of the blitzing side so that he spills to the spy/mush side.

31 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I hate the mush rush. You have to play zone behind it and that's why Jackson hits his TE's so easily. I think HEAVY blitzing from the edge is what you do to him.

I don’t mean as a primary game plan, but as a secondary look on occasion to keep him guessing.

If they KNOW it’s man every play they can scheme for that.

31 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Here's what killed Vick:

They blitzed his throwing arm and spied on the back side. He ran himself into the spy every time. But the key is that you HAVE TO OVERLOAD THE CRAP out of the blitzing side so that he spills to the spy/mush side.

Very true.

Just run blitz, there is a 75% chance it is a run so fill those gaps and if it is a pass just keep going until you get to the QB. You can't let any QB just sit back there and play pitch and catch like most teams do with the Ravens. I think you gotta accept it if Lamar beats you with his legs but you don't let them run wild with RBs and you don't let Lamar be comfortable in the pocket.

It was like how teams played the old Ravens defense. Everyone would throw passed at or behind the LOS and they would come up and tackle you. The teams that would go down the field (when the score was close, not desperation mode) are the offenses that had success.

You can't usually beat an aggressive offense or defense by being passive. Team are very passive against the Ravens D.

• Like 1