Around the league discussion

candyman93

46 minutes ago, braylon said:

100% agree with all of that. Literally all of it. I still have hope for him. And I like what he would do to defenses with all the other pieces we have in place. I don't think he will ever become a consistent catcher of the football though. He looks SO unathletic sometimes it kills me. Hopfeully I'm wrong. I was just a SLOW, sure handed WR back in the day.. So I just have a bias and I hate guys who have issues catching the ball lol.

And I do stand by the fact that his combine athleticism has not really shown up on the field in the NFL. He's clearly athletic, but he does not look close to an elite athlete, even when compared against TEs specifically. 

I don’t disagree about his hands, he’s never gonna be great in that regard.  Or at least not natural.

I think it’s the same thing with his athleticism.  He’s shown his speed and his jumping ability, but there’s almost a lack fluidity to his movement and it makes him look less athletic than his numbers would indicate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think he's shown glimpses of it. He is an explosive leaper and that shows. He is also elusive with the ball in space, but he's always seemingly blanketed in man coverage rather than being used out in the flat as a RAC guy. He was amazing at Miami on bubble screens and quick arrows. We have only been using him as a crosser/intermediate route runner. I'd like to see us get him the ball in space where he can utilize his quickness and balance.

That is, no doubt, the one thing that clearly does show up on the field. Dude can definitely jump.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree about his hands, he’s never gonna be great in that regard.  Or at least not natural.

I think it’s the same thing with his athleticism.  He’s shown his speed and his jumping ability, but there’s almost a lack fluidity to his movement and it makes him look less athletic than his numbers would indicate.

Yep, agreed.

31 minutes ago, braylon said:

Idk, he doesn't look THAT athletic.. am I crazy? Sure, some plays in there were awesome. But they were against inferior athletes.. Like the kind he'll never play against again in his life.

To me he is the typical "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" athlete.  I have not been a fan of his, mostly because of his inconsistency in catching the football, and not being an elite blocker.  If you are drafting a TE in the first, I think you want to get more than what he's delivered.  I understand that he has had some injuries, but I don't believe he is very good.

Edited by big poppa pump

100% agree about Njoku getting unwarranted flack this season. From what we’ve seen the past couple years, growth in some areas is needed. The potential is still there though, and from this year, he hasn’t really gotten a chance to get in the flow and produce. 

With that said, I do know they have a 5th year option decision to make this offseason. Part of me wonders depending on what the figure is, if they decline it and make next year a prove-it season. 

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

100% agree about Njoku getting unwarranted flack this season. From what we’ve seen the past couple years, growth in some areas is needed. The potential is still there though, and from this year, he hasn’t really gotten a chance to get in the flow and produce. 

With that said, I do know they have a 5th year option decision to make this offseason. Part of me wonders depending on what the figure is, if they decline it and make next year a prove-it season. 

I’d imagine they’ll decline the 5th year.

I never quite understand the need to bail on raw, young players before they complete their 3rd year like David Njoku.

He's not like Austin Corbett. 

Coming out of college, everyone knew he was one of the rawest prospects. He has proven to be that way.

However, he was better year 2 than year 1. He missed 

Everyone acting so fatalistic about the int/fumble he had in his first return. News flash... that was a completed catch in which David secured it and was no different than when a defender strips a ball late after a RB is on the ground.

David hasn't played any this year due to going up for a high ball and taking a crazy hit that caused him to land terribly on his head/neck/and wrist.

I'm keeping Njoku and have to see at least a 3rd full season in the league before I'm giving up on him.

• Like 3

Yeah I'm not giving up on Njoku yet. If he doesn't improve at all from this point, I'd let him walk in free agency, but that's more because he'll probably get a big contract and we have too many other players that we'll need to extend. He's just inconsistent at this point, but we've seen that he's capable of playing at a high level. Still, I'd like to add another tight end who's a better blocker and has better hands, even if they aren't as athletic or as explosive as Njoku. It'd be nice if a guy like Carlson would prove to be that, but he's obviously far from a sure thing.