Are Rivera or Newton in trouble if Panthers miss the playoffs?

patriotsheatyan

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Newton either isn't healthy or isn't comfortable.  So yes, if nothing changes, he's probably finished.  And if he can't play, then I'm not really sure what the Panthers will do.  

Anyone acting like how Newton looked last night is how he's always looked is just being difficult.  But there is no point in trying to explain his past years numbers, although the proof is in the pudding with 2018: half of the year his arm was shot, but his QB rating was still the 2nd highest it has ever been because he played in a modern-ish system.  It was far from Newton's 2nd best season.  

Regardless, I think Newton probably is done unless things change quickly.  He doesn't even try to run anymore.

That play yesterday in the second quarter was very telling. He was getting pressured, scrambled outside but looked uneven as a runner, to say the least. His outlet receiver was completely covered, and so he started to run. At least 12 yards of open field ahead of him. Right before he crossed the line of scrimmage, he kind of threw a wet balloon out of bounds. And it's not like he was risking a hit or anything either. He was right next to the sideline. He could have taken some yards and walked out of bounds. It's really sad, but from the past two games, at least, Cam looks like the most physically broken down QB in the NFL. It's really sad to see. But this seems to be the inevitably soon case whenever someone is listing the offensive talent on a team and the only person that comes to mind is the QB.

• Like 1

The Broncos defense ruined Cams career in the Superbowl and first game opener in 2016. 

He gets too much criticism for his stats. The Panthers won a lot of games with him, hes been a heck of a player. We knew since day one he'd have a short shelf life due to style of play. 

He's been the best dual threat qb of this era. 

Cam looked much...smaller than I remember (I don't watch a lot of panther's games). It looks like he's lost a ton of muscle. He seemed to lack energy, fire, passion. Is he really done? If he's not healthy give him a few weeks and see how it goes. Hell- give him the year and see if he can bounce back next year or something.

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

The Broncos defense ruined Cams career in the Superbowl and first game opener in 2016. 

He gets too much criticism for his stats. The Panthers won a lot of games with him, hes been a heck of a player. We knew since day one he'd have a short shelf life due to style of play. 

He's been the best dual threat qb of this era. 

I agree. Dude has been a fantastic player, and literally carried his team to the Super Bowl. I mean, who was his best receiver while his arm was healthy? Kelvin Benjamin? Ted Ginn?

4 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

That play yesterday in the second quarter was very telling. He was getting pressured, scrambled outside but looked uneven as a runner, to say the least. His outlet receiver was completely covered, and so he started to run. At least 12 yards of open field ahead of him. Right before he crossed the line of scrimmage, he kind of threw a wet balloon out of bounds. And it's not like he was risking a hit or anything either. He was right next to the sideline. He could have taken some yards and walked out of bounds. It's really sad, but from the past two games, at least, Cam looks like the most physically broken down QB in the NFL. It's really sad to see. But this seems to be the inevitably soon case whenever someone is listing the offensive talent on a team and the only person that comes to mind is the QB.

Yeah once I saw that play I knew he was done.  Old Newton would truck a defender before giving up that amount of open field.

This isn't new though.  Cam Newton looked scared to run last year.  I remember in the Lions game, he had MULTIPLE opportunities to run and he just didn't do it. 

Even that play you mentioned, he looked really slow when he did run.  And it ain't like Newton is out of shape, dude is absolutely ripped.  His body is just breaking down.

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I agree. Dude has been a fantastic player, and literally carried his team to the Super Bowl. I mean, who was his best receiver while his arm was healthy? Kelvin Benjamin? Ted Ginn?

Running and passing combined guy was electric and carried that offense for years. Went toe to toe with the rest of that division and high powered offenses. 

I remember a couple of saints panthers playoff games kept close because of Cam Newton. We knew when Cam was the first pick of the draft if he hits more likely than not he's gonna be a shooting star burn bright but not have the longevity. 

Guy was absolutely worth that first pick and them some fantastic football player and dual threat qb.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, heafstaag said:

Cam looked much...smaller than I remember (I don't watch a lot of panther's games). It looks like he's lost a ton of muscle. He seemed to lack energy, fire, passion. Is he really done? If he's not healthy give him a few weeks and see how it goes. Hell- give him the year and see if he can bounce back next year or something.

He's vegan now.  A lot of Panthers fans noticed he lost a lot of weight too.  

I don't think it is a lack of energy/passion thing.  Newton just knows he sucks right now, that or he lacks confidence in his game.  He said as much post game.  

I think he's done.  He's not healthy, but he's probably as healthy as he is gonna get.  I don't think the shoulder is bothering him, he's just naturally lost a ton of arm strength.  Even when he went deep, the balls were weak.  And he doesn't look like he can run.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

He's vegan now.  A lot of Panthers fans noticed he lost a lot of weight too.  

I don't think it is a lack of energy/passion thing.  Newton just knows he sucks right now, that or he lacks confidence in his game.  He said as much post game.  

I think he's done.  He's not healthy, but he's probably as healthy as he is gonna get.  I don't think the shoulder is bothering him, he's just naturally lost a ton of arm strength.  Even when he went deep, the balls were weak.  And he doesn't look like he can run.

I'd have thought taking a bit of the weight off would help his running/mobility. Maybe it is just a natural regression of arm strength; it happens to all of them. It had a very high bar to come down from, so perhaps its more noticeable. I remember him flicking his wrist on one-leg and launching it 50 yards for Auburn

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Running and passing combined guy was electric and carried that offense for years. Went toe to toe with the rest of that division and high powered offenses. 

I remember a couple of saints panthers playoff games kept close because of Cam Newton. We knew when Cam was the first pick of the draft if he hits more likely than not he's gonna be a shooting star burn bright but not have the longevity. 

Guy was absolutely worth that first pick and them some fantastic football player and dual threat qb.

Cam Newton has been by far the most successful #1 overall pick post-Eli Manning, although Goff and Garrett will likely surpass him at one point.  So since 2005 Newton's been the top #1 overall pick so far.  

I know, he hasn't been a top five QB.  He hasn't been a consistent top 10 QB.  But he's been one of the most exciting players of this decade.  I wish it didn't always have to be about who the best player was.

• Like 2

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd have thought taking a bit of the weight off would help his running/mobility. Maybe it is just a natural regression of arm strength; it happens to all of them. It had a very high bar to come down from, so perhaps its more noticeable. I remember him flicking his wrist on one-leg and launching it 50 yards for Auburn

It's possible he can run but no longer feels comfortable doing so.  Honestly nobody knows but Rivera, Turner, and Newton (and probably Tepper too).

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Cam needed a guy like Bruce Arians.

Id look at Todd Monken and give Cam 1 more shot.

Rivera needs to go to Dallas next year.

I don't think the Cowboys are going to be bad enough this year that Jason Garrett won't return as the head coach. Philly wants Rivera. 

(F outta here Jim Schwartz)

19 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Cam Newton has been by far the most successful #1 overall pick post-Eli Manning, although Goff and Garrett will likely surpass him at one point.  So since 2005 Newton's been the top #1 overall pick so far.  

I know, he hasn't been a top five QB.  He hasn't been a consistent top 10 QB.  But he's been one of the most exciting players of this decade.  I wish it didn't always have to be about who the best player was.

You know, this is only kind of related, but I believe that Mike Vick is eligible for the Hall of Fame following the 2020 season. I'm not saying that he's on of the best QBs ever, and his off-field will certainly impede him, but it'll be interesting to see the kind of consideration that the best dual-threat and one of the most electric players of all time receives.

Cam is, without a doubt, one of the defining QBs of this era.

Newton's passer rating rank by year:

2011: 15th
2012: 15th
2013: 16th
2014: 26th
2015: 7th
2016: 28th
2017: 24th
2018: 17th

He's been average to below average every season as a passer aside from the year he was MVP, and even then... he was only 7th... Most overrated QB in the league. Not saying he's a bad QB, but he's just average.