Are Rivera or Newton in trouble if Panthers miss the playoffs?

patriotsheatyan

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Newton's passer rating rank by year:

2011: 15th
2012: 15th
2013: 16th
2014: 26th
2015: 7th
2016: 28th
2017: 24th
2018: 17th

He's been average to below average every season as a passer aside from the year he was MVP, and even then... he was only 7th... Most overrated QB in the league. Not saying he's a bad QB, but he's just average. 

I do think Cam has some value that his passer rating wouldn't quite account for but with age/injuries, his scrambling abilities are now diminished, too.

I honestly don't know what to think about Cam. I do think the Panthers give him another year under a new coaching staff at least.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I do think Cam has some value that his passer rating wouldn't quite account for but with age/injuries, his scrambling abilities are now diminished, too.

I honestly don't know what to think about Cam. I do think the Panthers give him another year under a new coaching staff at least.

While that's true, many many people use that the other way to overcompensate for his deficiencies.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Newton's passer rating rank by year:

2011: 15th
2012: 15th
2013: 16th
2014: 26th
2015: 7th
2016: 28th
2017: 24th
2018: 17th

He's been average to below average every season as a passer aside from the year he was MVP, and even then... he was only 7th... Most overrated QB in the league. Not saying he's a bad QB, but he's just average. 

He's the 18.5th best QB. 

16 minutes ago, Dome said:

That's a very telling statement. He knows he's at the end of the road. Grier will be getting starts sooner rather than later.

With that said, his MVP season was maybe the best I've ever seen by a QB. It's a bummer he couldn't cap it off with a Super Bowl victory. The pinnacle of his play was truly special.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

This sucks though.  Cam Newton is easily my favorite NFL player of all-time.  I didn't get to watch prime Vick play, so to me Newton is easily the most exciting QB I have seen.  And it sucks it might end this way, if it does.  I just wish people could appreciate his talents rather than it always being a "but his stats though" thing.  Not everyone has to be a top five QB.  Not everything has to be by the book.  He was a super fun player to watch play.

But maybe that is just me being defensive as a Panthers fan, I don't know.  It is just a crappy feeling though, to know easily your franchise's best QB and biggest superstar is on the backend of his career.

Jake was better :)

1 minute ago, Art_Vandalay said:

That's a very telling statement. He knows he's at the end of the road. Grier will be getting starts sooner rather than later.

With that said, his MVP season was maybe the best I've ever seen by a QB. It's a bummer he couldn't cap it off with a Super Bowl victory. The pinnacle of his play was truly special.

source.gif

Seriously, I'd agree it was an extremely special season but the best ever season by a QB? Cmon man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Give it' McCaffery! He has one of the best friends a declining QB can have - a ridiculous weapon who can carry both the run game and pass game. How many touches did CMC have last night?

He got quite a few including on the biggest play of the game. It wasn’t enough. We all knew this day was coming. Newton’s key to success was his running ability. Without that threat he looks like a pretty pedestrian passer. 

3 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Cam's MVP season isn't even top 5 since the turn of the millennia 

If you all just point at stats with zero context, then yeah, Cam's MVP season isn't that great in comparison to the other great performances. His best WR was a guy who's currently 28 years old and out of the league. Greg Olsen and Jonathan Stewart were good players, but Cam was the only great player on that offense. I've never seen an offense with that type of success when both the passing game and running game revolved around the QB. They averaged 31 points per game and went 15-1 with average skill players. That's insane.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think the Cowboys are going to be bad enough this year that Jason Garrett won't return as the head coach. Philly wants Rivera. 

(F outta here Jim Schwartz)

Garrett's expectation this year is further than the divisional round. Anything less than that and his seat is hot. 

Though based on 1 game this year and all of last year, we would promote Moore or Richard. Most likely Richard.

4 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

Only looking at passing stats like rating for Cam Newton is a mistake. The guy is more than that.

Riverboat Ron is likely gone this offseason if the Panthers miss the Playoffs. Cam has 1 more year on his contract after this, so think he stays unless he retires.

I think he stays if he finishes the year in one piece. If his body continues to break down, and the organization asks to restructure or anything along that nature he's going to hang it up.

Will Grier has to look serviceable in mop up duty plus a high draft pick(qb consideration) for the Franchise to do that.

Cam isn't going to play for another organization imo.