Dolphins trade Minkah Fitzpatrick to Steelers for 1st-round pick

TheKillerNacho

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/13/report-dolphins-grant-minkah-fitzpatrick-permission-to-seek-trade/

Consider me a little perplexed by this - I would've assumed we would've wanted to build around Minkah, but apparently he's frustrated with the coaching staff, who in turn don't value Minkah as much as the last one's. He was one of the best slot CBs in the NFL last year but our current defensive staff tried him at six different positions, leaving Minkah wondering whether he should bulk up to play SS or LB or slim down to play slot CB or FS.

Reportedly, the Dolphins are asking for a 1st but may settle for a 2nd. I'd be more than a little bummed if we settled for a 2nd, but I'd understand moving him for another first.

What a gut punch.

Just not sure why they didn’t have him learn 1-2 positions in 2019 and when he is completely comfortable with the scheme and those positions, then put a little more on his plate as he ages.  Giving a guy 6x the mental work than everyone else, but expecting him to be accountable for it is perplexing.  Flores is looking like he wasn’t ready to lead a team.  

So far I am not impressed with the talent management by Grier either. I could live with the Tunsil trade. But consensus of the league was Houston overpaid massively.  No one will overlay for Minkah. Anything less than a 1st would be disappointing considering he’s already been paid nearly 70% of his rookie guaranteed money.  He’s CHEAP!  

IF they do trade him, Raiders make a ton of sense given what happened to Conley and Abram last week.  Still hope Flores can salvage this relationship.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/13/report-dolphins-grant-minkah-fitzpatrick-permission-to-seek-trade/

Consider me a little perplexed by this - I would've assumed we would've wanted to build around Minkah, but apparently he's frustrated with the coaching staff, who in turn don't value Minkah as much as the last one's. He was one of the best slot CBs in the NFL last year but our current defensive staff tried him at six different positions, leaving Minkah wondering whether he should bulk up to play SS or LB or slim down to play slot CB or FS.

Reportedly, the Dolphins are asking for a 1st but may settle for a 2nd. I'd be more than a little bummed if we settled for a 2nd, but I'd understand moving him for another first.

I would be pissed with only a 2nd.  Minkah is a really dang good player when put in the right position.  Frustrating.  But if Minkah is going to be the type of leader that everyone thought he was coming out of Alabama, you don't publically ask for a trade as only a 2nd year player.  You have proven exactly nothing at this level.  

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We wee just looking at depth charts. Does he start for you all?

It just depends on the package.  He's not on the field in the base package, which is stupid, but they aren't in the 3-4 very often.  I think Minkah played like 70% of the defensive snaps last week.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

But if Minkah is going to be the type of leader that everyone thought he was coming out of Alabama, you don't publically ask for a trade as only a 2nd year player.  You have proven exactly nothing at this level.  

Didn't see this headcase situation coming, that's for sure. Why are NFL players using social media or media interviews for whining? Be a man! If you got something you want to get off your chest, look your coach in the eye and say it. 

Totally expected static in the secondary this year but I thought the issue would be Jones. Instead he's a-ok and it's Minkah that's the problem child. So weird! 

6 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I mean doesn't sound like MF is giving you much choice here

How so? He's not threatening a hold out and has no leverage whatsoever contact wise. Unless the dolphins are blown away by an offer, I don't expect him to go anywhere. Definitely not for a bust and a 2nd. Dolphins would sooner just accept two 2nds, which is probably the absolute minimum he's moved for.

Latest reports however indicate the dolphins aren't budging on wanting at least a 1st in return.

I think the underlying issue here with Minka is he is not a physically tough player, he can cover but struggles with tackling and it is coming to light now that maybe he is not mentally tough enough either for what Flores wants in his players,. Just my opinions after watching and learning about the two over the last year.