Former Panthers WR Torrey Smith announces retirement

TheKillerNacho

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/1189/torrey-smith

He has two Super Bowl rings, one with Philadelphia and the other with Baltimore, and was at a time one of the league's top deep threats. He attended Panthers camp but did not make the final 53, and seemed to generate no interest from other teams.

Hope he enjoys retirement.

I will never forget Torrey being drafted in 2011, as it was like the first time I really followed the Ravens draft. I was stoked when we got ourselves a true burner (up to that point we were basically running Derrick Mason / TJ Housh and Anquan Boldin). Then he torched the Rams that year and the following year had the game against the Patriots after his brother died, then won a Superbowl with us and ever since then he's been a Ravens favorite.

From start to finish he was a class act on and off the field, and in his early years was probably the best DPI WR in the league for Baltimore :)

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I will never forget Torrey being drafted in 2011, as it was like the first time I really followed the Ravens draft. I was stoked when we got ourselves a true burner (up to that point we were basically running Derrick Mason / TJ Housh and Anquan Boldin). Then he torched the Rams that year and the following year had the game against the Patriots after his brother died, then won a Superbowl with us and ever since then he's been a Ravens favorite.

From start to finish he was a class act on and off the field, and in his early years was probably the best DPI WR in the league for Baltimore :)

This is why I was hoping my Packers would draft him that year.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Said most everything I came to say. Great guy.

I think he realized early that football wasn’t going to be what he wanted to do with his life and thus didn’t “lay it all on the line”. He got out of the game healthy and with all of his marbles. That’s no shot at him though as he was a great teammate and a good mentor for guys in the locker room to work towards more than just the game. He was about building bonds and marketing/business avenues.

Him and his wife will forever have a spot in this city. Hope to see him doing some local media or involved with the Ravens as some sort of community outreach organizer. I also hope he makes it into the ring of honor as he’s arguably the most impactful receiver in Ravens history (even if the history isn’t much at that position).

• Like 1

Torrey was never even a top 20 WR. A lot of the best Raven WR praise he gets is because of the fact the Ravens have been far and away the worst in the league at that position. Very inconsistent even in his best years.

However, he was really exciting and dangerous when he was on. As was mentioned, he was a significant component of two championships. His performance in the Mile High Miracle game, shredding Champ Bailey in single coverage in the first half, is a historical highlight. He was an awesome presence in the locker room and for representing the team and the players on a league-wide basis. Great career.