Devin Singletary...

Suffering_Bills

Hey, all. Just wanting thoughts on the rookie for the Bills. Sure, I'm biased, being a fan of them, but this has nothing to do with that. Just want some opinions of how good he could wind up being, based on the highly limited body of work up to this point. I mean, though.... -9 touches, 98 yards? 14 points in a PPR league? First game ever?

He's weird, though. Too short/slow/small, but seems to be just a very good football player. Very elusive and shifty. Anyways, thoughts on him?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Hey, all. Just wanting thoughts on the rookie for the Bills. Sure, I'm biased, being a fan of them, but this has nothing to do with that. Just want some opinions of how good he could wind up being, based on the highly limited body of work up to this point. I mean, though.... -9 touches, 98 yards? 14 points in a PPR league? First game ever?

He's weird, though. Too short/slow/small, but seems to be just a very good football player. Very elusive and shifty. Anyways, thoughts on him?

I had very limited views on him, but he looks more quick than fast, but he's got adequate speed - more than enough to pick up chunk yards if there is space for him to run. 

I think he's a really good piece to a timeshare. I don't think he'll ever be a guy who can carry the load, but...I could be wrong on that. 

I like him, ultimately.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I had very limited views on him, but he looks more quick than fast, but he's got adequate speed - more than enough to pick up chunk yards if there is space for him to run. 

I think he's a really good piece to a timeshare. I don't think he'll ever be a guy who can carry the load, but...I could be wrong on that. 

I like him, ultimately.

Quality review.

"Devin Singletary... looked the best in change-of-direction and receiving drills." 

"As far as weapons go, the Bills spent a third-round pick on Devin Singletary, who was one of my favorite runningbacks this year." 

Singletary was one of my top guys in the draft this year regardless of position. He's crazy quick and agile and showed quality receiving Pre-Draft. He's also a lot faster than his timed speed. He and Darrell Henderson were tops in the class in explosive plays of 20+ yards, if I remember correctly.

@BrownLeader repeatedly called him Shady McCoy Pre-Draft. And he really does look like McCoy-lite. He will run through arm tackles and can take carries up the middle, but his specialty is making defenders look silly. I think he has bellcow potential. His floor is a slightly better Justin Forsett, IMHO.

• Like 1

Everybody has talked about his good qualities so far in this thread but nobody has mentioned his best quality. Singletary has elite vision. He can see holes and gaps that no one else sees.  That's is what makes him special. Yes he is quick, agile, productive, patient and shown good recieving skills. But that vision is what could potentially make him a superstar RB. Vision makes up for his lack of athletism. 

He had an amazing first career game. Despite just 4 carries he still managed 70 yards. What's more impressive that not one of those was a huge 50+ yard gain. He earned those 70 yards by consistently gaining 12-25 yards every carry. Plus he caught 5 balls and people knocked him for his inability to catch... When in reality he wasn't asked to do much of it in college.

He athletism get knocked to much. He is one of those guys who tests bad but when you put on the tape and watch a game with full pads you don't notice. He is just a football player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Everybody has talked about his good qualities so far in this thread but nobody has mentioned his best quality. Singletary has elite vision. He can see holes and gaps that no one else sees.  That's is what makes him special. Yes he is quick, agile, productive, patient and shown good recieving skills. But that vision is what could potentially make him a superstar RB. Vision makes up for his lack of athletism. 

I haven't seen enough of him to make this assessment, but if true - you're right, this is a major asset that will get him really far.

15 hours ago, Fray32 said:

Can I hijack this thread (or this page) for an "In Remembrance of Karlos Williams" sentiment? Thanks.

I had high hopes for Williams and he looked the part early on - but then he just bombed, just BOMBED. Got fat, busted for substances, just bombed.

Such a disappoint.

• Like 1

Honestly, if there's a position where physical metrics do NOT capture thresholds for NFL success, it's RB.

Vision, balance, elusiveness, and ability to get small / fit through line holes, they aren't measurable.  And this is coming from a guy who firmly believes in metrics as an advanced tool for analysis.  The most successful teams use it to their advantage over dinosaur teams.   But when it comes to RB evaluation, too many times we see guys dismissed who simply succeed - Kareem Hunt Day 3 (too slow), Philip Lindsay UDFA (too small), and even metrics analysis said no one in this RB class should succeed, yet I'm of a firm mind that both Singletary & David Montgomery can indeed be successful 3-down backs.

Now, Singletary will never be an elite talent, like Saquon / Zeke / CMC.   But many RB's can be successful top 10 talents, and I see that ceiling with Singletary - because the vision, balance and elusiveness are all elite to near-elite.  HIs physical limits are there, and they will limit him from being in that top 5 tier.  But there's no shame in that.  He can still be an effective 3-down RB who 15-20 teams wish they had each year in his peak.   Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Like 2