Which CB/WR matchup would be better? Deion Sanders on Randy Moss or Peak Darrelle Revis on Jerry Rice

mdonnelly21

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR/CB Matchup would be the best?

• Peak Darrelle Revis on Jerry Rice
    • Deion Sanders on Randy Moss

Idk Revis at his peak (2009, 2010) was locking down Megatron, Gronk, NE Moss, TO, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, etc. These were all different types of receivers with all different kinds of statures and you could make the argument that the 2000s provided the most talent at the WR position we’ve seen... and he virtually shutdown all of them. Thus which matchup would I most WANT to take place regardless of rules is Revis Island vs Jerry Rice. Most of the top 10 receivers Revis has shown he could lock them down at his peak. The only one we will never see is Revis and Rice.

On the other hand, I’ve never seen peak Deion play (I only saw nickel Deion for the Ravens and he was still really good at like 38 and I saw some games when I was younger and didn’t understand the game) but I can’t imagine his coverage could be better than peak Revis. That said, which would be the more exciting matchup? I’m taking prime time. He’s going to trash talk, he’s going to showboat, he’s going to make crazy plays... so just off pure entertainment I would love to see that happen.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:51 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Deion and Moss would have been fun to watch.  It could have happened, because we played Dallas once in Moss' prime.  Deion allegedly had turf toe that week and declined to play. 

I think Rice would have had his way with Revis.

Agreed. 

Deion would have been the only player in Moss's career that would have been as fast (maybe faster) than him also.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:46 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Idk Revis at his peak (2009, 2010) was locking down Megatron, Gronk, NE Moss, TO, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, etc. These were all different types of receivers with all different kinds of statures and you could make the argument that the 2000s provided the most talent at the WR position we’ve seen... and he virtually shutdown all of them. Thus which matchup would I most WANT to take place regardless of rules is Revis Island vs Jerry Rice. Most of the top 10 receivers Revis has shown he could lock them down at his peak. The only one we will never see is Revis and Rice.

On the other hand, I’ve never seen peak Deion play (I only saw nickel Deion for the Ravens and he was still really good at like 38 and I saw some games when I was younger and didn’t understand the game) but I can’t imagine his coverage could be better than peak Revis. That said, which would be the more exciting matchup? I’m taking prime time. He’s going to trash talk, he’s going to showboat, he’s going to make crazy plays... so just off pure entertainment I would love to see that happen.

Was Revis locking down Moss?

FakeCornyGoldeneye-size_restricted.gif

49 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yes. He was.

Let’s look at the matchups: In seven matchups with the Patriots Randy had 4 touchdowns.  Is giving up four touchdowns really shutting him down? At best, it’s limiting the damage.  Note that two of those seven games, had Cassel at QB.

Edited by nextsuperstar1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Let’s look at the matchups: In seven matchups with the Patriots Randy had 4 touchdowns.  Is giving up four touchdowns really shutting him down? At best, it’s limiting the damage.  Note that two of those seven games, had Cassel at QB.

14jary3gnxa11.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlauazHBg8w/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Even prime Moss while destroying Charles Woodson in their first matchup with “the catch”, struggled in the rest of their matchups since. Revis is universally considered the better corner over Woodson and the results against Moss seem to show that as well.

Thus I’d much rather, like I stated above, see Revis against Rice... as the best indicator of the debate between Deion and Revis as best CB of all time to come to a close. With a few of those matchups with Rice and Revis, more insight could be gleaned.

22 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

14jary3gnxa11.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlauazHBg8w/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Even prime Moss while destroying Charles Woodson in their first matchup with “the catch”, struggled in the rest of their matchups since. Revis is universally considered the better corner over Woodson and the results against Moss seem to show that as well.

Thus I’d much rather, like I stated above, see Revis against Rice... as the best indicator of the debate between Deion and Revis as best CB of all time to come to a close. With a few of those matchups with Rice and Revis, more insight could be gleaned.

Except that those stats are off. Because the Patriots played Revis and the Jets twice in 2008, twice in 2009 and once (with Moss in 2010). Not three times. Unless those stats are from 2009 and 2010, then you have a very much post peak Moss, which isn’t a fair comparison at all. 

15 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Except that those stats are off. Because the Patriots played Revis and the Jets twice in 2008, twice in 2009 and once (with Moss in 2010). Not three times. Unless those stats are from 2009 and 2010, then you have a very much post peak Moss, which isn’t a fair comparison at all. 

2007: Rookie Revis, didn’t count these

2008: 3/22/0, 3/26/1

2009: 4/24/0, 5/34/1

2010: 2/38/1

Excluding Revis rookie year, these are the matchups.

17 recs, 144 yds, 8.47 ypc, 3 TDs; 3.4 recs/g, 28.8 ypg, 0.6 TDs/g

Considering he held one of the greatest deep threats of all time to those numbers... especially when he was still cooking the rest of the league, I’d consider that “shutting him down”.

14 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Also remember that Randy Moss went off against Deion Sanders: six receptions, 9 yards and two touchdowns on November 8, 1999. Moss went off for three touchdowns versus the Cowboys (scores of 51, 56 and 56 yards) the prior Thanksgiving, but Sanders missed that game. 

1. Sanders was dealing with a hamstring injury.

2. During the telecast they talk about just how many times to that point in the game Sanders had been targeted and it was only twice. I counted 3 additional targets/catches as well.

3. Watching the game you can clearly see they are abusing #26 of Dallas and passing opposite Deion. Even when hurt they didn’t want that sauce. The only completions they went against him on were those quick hitches.

• Like 1