Future of Sunday Ticket

pf9

The NFL has the option to end their current contract which grants exclusive distribution rights to Sunday Ticket to DirecTV after the season.

I think Comcast will push for the NFL to do so because they want Sunday Ticket made available to other providers. As Comcast owns NBC, they could use this leverage to get Sunday Ticket onto other providers starting in 2020 in return for renewing the Sunday Night Football rights beyond 2022.

NBC has played this kind of hardball before. Decades ago they forced Westinghouse to swap broadcast stations located in Cleveland and Philadelphia in order to keep NBC programming on the Westinghouse stations that carried it (though this did backfire on NBC, authorities ordered the swap reversed in 1965).

• Like 1

I'm not holding my breath for any changes. Last time the deal was up DTV just offered gobs of money to keep the current deal. They know they'll lose customers in droves if they lost Sunday ticket. 

I don't think anything will change next year. 

1 minute ago, amazingandre said:

Directv sucks. The fact that they haven’t taken advantage of the online market and created a subscription just for Sunday ticket shows they don’t care. 

As a business, why would you offer it standalone at a cheaper price when you are the only one who offers a high demand product? They can get away with charging what they want in packages because they are the only ones who have it. 

2 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

As a business, why would you offer it standalone at a cheaper price when you are the only one who offers a high demand product? They can get away with charging what they want in packages because they are the only ones who have it. 

Certainly one reason is it's so easy to stream games now. I watch an out of market team every week and would pay a reasonable price if it was offered that allowed me to watch my team. I don't know the math on it but I'd guess they'd get a ton more sales if they didn't sell you it with 95% extra of stuff you don't want. 

Just offer 5$ per game or 50$ For the full 16 game of one team. The main issue with streaming ala MLB, ESPN+(mma fight streams crash and NBA). Is that there streaming is so inconsistent and it’s like they don’t give a crap! You could find a crystal clear stream for free on line. Which is insane. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 10:47 AM, Cheesehawk said:

I didn't say cheaper. Charge a premium for it. They are losing subscriptions anyway. Why risk losing ST on top of it. 

I've had DTV ONLY for the NFLST. Unless the thinking has changed and DirecTV/AT&T get out bid the NFL wants a provider that can potentially offer the package to the whole country. In theory a satellite company can. Not everyone can get Comcast or Cox or Brighthouse or RoadRunner or Verizon whatever other service you want to list nationwide like a SAT company can.

And as someone already mentioned, D threw a ish ton of money at it and will probably do so again.

Either way, being a Dallas fan in Skins country, I go where NFLST goes.

Edited by HDsportsfan

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, amazingandre said:

Directv sucks. The fact that they haven’t taken advantage of the online market and created a subscription just for Sunday ticket shows they don’t care. 

Why would they care, they've had the package for like 25 years and will probably continue to do so.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:23 PM, pf9 said:

The NFL has the option to end their current contract which grants exclusive distribution rights to Sunday Ticket to DirecTV after the season.

I think Comcast will push for the NFL to do so because they want Sunday Ticket made available to other providers. As Comcast owns NBC, they could use this leverage to get Sunday Ticket onto other providers starting in 2020 in return for renewing the Sunday Night Football rights beyond 2022.

NBC has played this kind of hardball before. Decades ago they forced Westinghouse to swap broadcast stations located in Cleveland and Philadelphia in order to keep NBC programming on the Westinghouse stations that carried it (though this did backfire on NBC, authorities ordered the swap reversed in 1965).

Or they can make an offer to the NFL that's more than what Directv does for Sunday Ticket.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:08 AM, theJ said:

I'm not holding my breath for any changes. Last time the deal was up DTV just offered gobs of money to keep the current deal. They know they'll lose customers in droves if they lost Sunday ticket. 

I don't think anything will change next year. 

It will absolutely change this time. Streaming is not just the future, it's the present.

Too much demand for people wanting to watch their out-of-town teams. People will watch for free through channels the NFL won't profit from. Fewer and fewer people will choose to go through the hassle of DirectTV when those channels exists. 

We saw how Game of Thrones pushed HBO to offer their HBO now series.