Our greatest off-season acquisition: Gary Kubiak

cconocool

4 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Is Kubiak interested long term in a less than head coach role?

my understanding is that kubiak doesn't want to be a head coach anymore. the energy and stress of being a HC was really affecting his health negatively so he stepped back from it. 

so essentially he's probably willing to be in a lesser role until he retires, but i have no idea if that's soon or not.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder if he would be the OC next year if Stefanski ends up getting a HC gig.

If Stefanski left after the season I could see Kubiak taking the OC job. I could also see him preferring to stay in the background doing what he is doing this year while the title is given to someone else -- perhaps Klint.  Gary might like being able to do the parts of the OC job he enjoys while leaving the parts he finds more annoying with the guy with the title.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Gary Kubiak was away from coaching for two years after stepping down as the Broncos head coach after the 2016 season due to health issue, but he returned to take a job as an assistant head coach and offensive advisor on Mike Zimmer’s staff in Minnesota this year.

Zimmer called that “probably the best thing that’s ever happened to me” since joining the Vikings and the Vikings offense has shown the desired improvement over last year’s performance. Given Kubiak’s past success as a head coach and his return to working in a coaching capacity, it wouldn’t be surprising to hear of potential interest from teams looking for a head coach this offseason.

Kubiak cut that idea off ahead of time. During a Tuesday press conference, Kubiak said that working as an assistant is “not giving me the itch” to move back to his former post and added “that’s not for me anymore.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/19/gary-kubiak-being-a-head-coach-not-for-me-anymore/

If the Vikings are to make a deep run in the playoffs, they will need someone who will be able to install some new offensive wrinkles...I think Kubiak is perfect for just that kind of role.

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder if he’d be willing to be the OC if Stefanski takes a HC job. Would seem like an ideal fit as we won’t up and leave for a HC gig.

I’m really hoping that the Vikings can find a way to keep Stefanski. It would be awesome if they could keep him like New England has kept McDaniels, with some sort of promise that he’s Zimmer’s heir apparent. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m really hoping that the Vikings can find a way to keep Stefanski. It would be awesome if they could keep him like New England has kept McDaniels, with some sort of promise that he’s Zimmer’s heir apparent. 

What’s in it for Stefanski if he can just get a job elsewhere on his own merits? It’s not like Zimmer is anywhere near as accomplished Belichick. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I still think it'll come down whatever the openings are...I don't think he'll take a job just to take a job, but if the Atlanta job does come open, that would be one place I think he'd be willing to go, because they have a great offense and solid ownership.  I think he'd be smart enough to stay away from Washington, if they should come calling.