Our greatest off-season acquisition: Gary Kubiak

cconocool

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

What’s in it for Stefanski if he can just get a job elsewhere on his own merits? It’s not like Zimmer is anywhere near as accomplished Belichick. 

What does it do for your career if you take over a talented team, that you’ve helped build, versus taking over a terrible team that needs to rebuild?

Zimmer is in his mid 60’s, Stefanski is in his mid 30s. Stefanski could build his offense, potentially draft his QB, and take over by the time he’s 40. Conceivably. 

I would think that’s a better long term play than being the head guy on a team that turns over every few years. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Nope

Agreed.  They can pay their coaching staffs all they want.  It just depends upon what their personal budget is for the staff.  Hell, they could even make Stefanski a co-assistant head coach along with Kubiak if they wanted to.  There's no limit on that, although only the Jets have more than one.  I'm actually kind of surprised that George Edwards hasn't been made an assistant head coach.  

On 9/16/2019 at 8:27 AM, swede700 said:

I doubt Kubiak would have any interest in being an OC.  I just think he's found the perfect position for him with his health.  It'd be far more likely that a guy like Dennison would get the OC job, since he's done it before.

Isn't Klint the QB coach now? Promote Klint and keep Gary where he is make sense to me. Zimmer runs the D. The Kubiak Son-Father duo on the offense.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

What does it do for your career if you take over a talented team, that you’ve helped build, versus taking over a terrible team that needs to rebuild?

Zimmer is in his mid 60’s, Stefanski is in his mid 30s. Stefanski could build his offense, potentially draft his QB, and take over by the time he’s 40. Conceivably. 

I would think that’s a better long term play than being the head guy on a team that turns over every few years. 

Zimmer will coach until his health doesn't allow it imo. I think having his wife passed on plays into that too. What would Zimmer retire for at this point. I'd imagine he'd rather keep coaching especially with Adam in the coaching ranks too. 

Also in an era of McVay and Lafleur. Young guys Stefanskis age already having success as HCs. I think your dramatically underestimating the lure of a shot to be a HC.

Edited by KOTN-93

39 minutes ago, KOTN-93 said:

I think your dramatically underestimating the lure of a shot to be a HC.

There is also something to be said for not needing to uproot your family, and taking a risk on an unknown organization. There is a huge difference between a HC job for a great organization, and a HC job for a dumpster fire like the Browns. Personally I think waiting a few years would be well worth it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its amazing how much better the Kubiaks are at their job than the Turners.

I'm not necessarily sure that you can tie the sons in with the fathers.  Scott Turner did a pretty good job with Teddy, as well as this Kyle Allen guy in Carolina (who probably has no business starting in the NFL).  And we have zero idea on Klint's influence on Kirk this season.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2