Saints sign Sean Payton to 5 year extension

Chargers

On 9/15/2019 at 11:17 AM, Madmike90 said:

After BB the best coach in the NFL...produces excellent teams year in year out...great move for both sides.

This seems to be a popular opinion on Payton, and I don't disagree
He's very well respected by players, fans, opposing coaches and media types
So why does this awesome coach only have 1 Katrina-fueled Title despite having one of the all time best QBs under center for more than a decade ?

I think its because its really really hard to win a Championship, but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
Is it Loomis ? Voodoo ? Just the reality of the NFL ?

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

This seems to be a popular opinion on Payton, and I don't disagree
He's very well respected by players, fans, opposing coaches and media types
So why does this awesome coach only have 1 Katrina-fueled Title despite having one of the all time best QBs under center for more than a decade ?

I think its because its really really hard to win a Championship, but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
Is it Loomis ? Voodoo ? Just the reality of the NFL ?

He has sucked at defense.  He does a great job keeping decent at worst offense around Brees, drawing plays, motivating, etc.  But his defenses have largely been garbage, and sometimes even historically bad.  Not garbage like a 20th ranking, I mean garbage like 32nd ranking with no redeemable qualities.  That 2015 defense was the worst in history and gave up the most passing TDs in history at the time.(It might still be, I don't know).  Even in years he's had "good" defenses, they've been barely better than average over the course of a full season.  Even the 09 defense was very torchable, they just feasted on takeaways.  I think he kept the wrong coaches too long, busted on FA and draft picks, and just plain doesn't know how a build a great defense consistently.  

In contrast, BB knows how to keep consistently good, often great defense around, and that's with a HoF QB.  So there's gonna be success in bunches.

Other areas, more minor, that tick me off about Payton, is his clock management, and way too cutesy playcalling.  Saints have lost numerous games over the years due to not being able to run out the clock, or Payton calling some dumb triple reverse that loses 10 yards when we're up by 3 with a minute left. 

And, of course, it's just really hard to win a ring.

• Like 3

I have him in that  "Would be elite if BB didn't exist" #2-7 range with McVay, Pederson, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Carroll and Reid, which I believe are all kind of interchangeable depending on preference. Obviously, someone you want to resign and I think if you are Saints fan, you should be excited by this.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, Madmike90 said:

After BB the best coach in the NFL...produces excellent teams year in year out...great move for both sides.

But he hasn’t. With an all time great QB that has had full time availability up to this point, he has missed the playoffs six times in thirteen seasons.

Its a pretty pathetic resume IMO and within a few years of Brees retirement he’ll be exposed as a bad coach. 

2 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

But he hasn’t. With an all time great QB that has had full time availability up to this point, he has missed the playoffs six times in thirteen seasons.

Its a pretty pathetic resume IMO and within a few years of Brees retirement he’ll be exposed as a bad coach. 

Haha damn that's a hot take! 

I find it strange the logic of some people.

A 5 year NFL vet QB with a 30-28 record and an 84.9 rating goes to a new team and the new coach gives him:

• Sometimes decent to often very good O-lines
  • A stable of constant excellent speedy pass catchers and some elite guys  (Colston, Graham, Cooks, and Thomas)
  • An innovate and never stale offense
  • A series of excellent running and receiving running backs. (Sproles, Ingram, Kamara, Bush, McCallister, Thomas

This QB goes from a mediocre performing NFL QB with upside to an all-time great with a 100.6 rating and a 126-81 record on his new team.

• This is like Steve Young going from Tampa to SF or Goff/Foles going from Slappy Fisher to McVay/Pederson.

This QB wins a Super Bowl in a close game where his coach pulls an all-time gutsy move with an after halftime onside kick.

Someone takes in all this information and decides Payton is a bad coach who just gets carried by Drew Brees?

Brees and Payton are both all-time greats. (if not Brady/Belichick then like 90% of their greatness)

• Brees has been surrounded by elite offensive talent for his entire time in New Orleans.
  • He has played in a dome with a loud crowd hurting the other team's offense.
  • He has had great coaching.

Brees does not need any Poor Baby excuses for his first ballot HoF career. This includes lame Sean Payton deniers.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Activated10 said:

Haha damn that's a hot take! 

but considering some defenses he fielded not outlandish. That said his defensive talent right now is good and still fairly young. The Saints could still have a 3-5 years window if they strike gold in the draft with a new QB.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:30 PM, SkippyX said:

Brees and Payton are both all-time greats. (if not Brady/Belichick then like 90% of their greatness)

• Brees has been surrounded by elite offensive talent for his entire time in New Orleans.
  • He has played in a dome with a loud crowd hurting the other team's offense.
  • He has had great coaching.

Brees does not need any Poor Baby excuses for his first ballot HoF career. This includes lame Sean Payton deniers.

Disagree with the bolded. Brees has, for the most part, been surrounded by above average to average talent at the skill positions. His O-line has been elite more often than not, but the rest, not so much. Thomas and Kamara are the best weapons Brees has had in his career.