Just Want A Title

Week 2 Takeaways

I just finished watching the game against the Chargers.  My thoughts on the game:

1.  Jamal Agnew muffed another punt deep in his own territory.  He is pretty much done.  As mentioned in a different post, sign Tremon Smith.

2.  Tyrell Crosby had a pretty solid game.  I am not sure if he is a long-term solution but considering he was matched up with Joey Bosa a lot, he did pretty good.

3.  Stafford may have forced a couple of deep balls but his 31-yard TD throw to Golladay was a great throw.  I think this offense needs to show it can burn you deep to really start clicking

4.  Where or where is the pass rush?  I know they got a win but they need to get more pressure on the QB from inside, outside and anywhere in between if they are going to be compete for a playoff spot.

5.  Our special teams just aren't cutting it.  As mentioned above, Jamal Agnew should be gone.  The penalties need to be cleaned up also.

6.  Paul Pasqualoni may have a ton of experience but this defense should be better than it has shown so far.  Our pass rush is anemic.  We don't do enough to disrupt the short/rhythm passing game.  I could see them making a change during the bye week.

7.  It was good to see Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones make key contributions this week.  I think they need to be more aggressive when they are going after contested balls but other than that they played pretty well.  

8.  We have enough talent at TE, WR and RB to be a difficult offense to defend.  That being said, Darrel Bevell needs to figure out how to get this offense into a rhythm early and keep it there.  Getting into a rhythm early will help make them more effective in the fourth quarter. 

9.  Two players we need to see more of:  Jesse James and Ty Johnson.  Jesse James may not be a world-beater but he knows how to get open and make crucial first downs.  Guys like him help keep drives alive and offenses in rhythm.  I would love to see Ty Johnson get some time at slot WR and other routes that get him in space against LBs.

10.  The block by Frank Ragnow to spring Kerryon Johnson was awesome.  He is quickly becoming the best player on our O-line.

11.  One guy who is playing pretty well but flying under the radar is Christian Jones.  He is just solid in all phases of the game.

Thoughts?

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

Yeah Ragnow seems like a stud.

Crosby was really good all things considered. 

I'm disappointed we didnt utilize Hockenson more. 

As you eluded to, Ty Johnson needs more touches. He deserves more than Anderson to me.

I dont put that first INT on Stafford. He had a one on one with Golladay and he seemed to stumble. The 2nd was a pure lack of patience. 

Bevell overall has done well up to this point though I hated the run on 3rd and 2.

Defensively, Snacks is struggling. 

Daniels has been bad.

Ashawn has probably been our best dlinemen. We need Hand back asap.

Flowers hasn't had many splash plays. Not sure what to make of him yet.

Tavai had a couple missed gaps I think in this one. He still looks good overall. I think we should blitz him more.

Tracy Walker has been better in run than pass. I'm not concerned about his coverage though. In Arizona he had great coverage on a couple balls that were just great throws and catches.

Diggs has been stout.

Where is Harris??

Agnew should be cut immediately. He cant cover either so hes a waste of a roster spot at this point.

Melvin has been outstanding thus far.

The thing about Agnew is, he doesn't look fast at all. The ball security issues are bad enough but if he still had the super quickness and speed, you could find a way to work on the rest

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

The thing about Agnew is, he doesn't look fast at all. The ball security issues are bad enough but if he still had the super quickness and speed, you could find a way to work on the rest

He isn't great in coverage so PR/KR is his main job.  He is not a rookie, he is a 3rd year player.  The Lions need to find someone they can trust to handle punts quickly.  Tremon Smith is a DB who returned punts for the Chiefs last year.  Give that guy a shot.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I just finished watching the game against the Chargers.  My thoughts on the game:

1.  Jamal Agnew muffed another punt deep in his own territory.  He is pretty much done.  As mentioned in a different post, sign Tremon Smith.

2.  Tyrell Crosby had a pretty solid game.  I am not sure if he is a long-term solution but considering he was matched up with Joey Bosa a lot, he did pretty good.

3.  Stafford may have forced a couple of deep balls but his 31-yard TD throw to Golladay was a great throw.  I think this offense needs to show it can burn you deep to really start clicking

4.  Where or where is the pass rush?  I know they got a win but they need to get more pressure on the QB from inside, outside and anywhere in between if they are going to be compete for a playoff spot.

5.  Our special teams just aren't cutting it.  As mentioned above, Jamal Agnew should be gone.  The penalties need to be cleaned up also.

6.  Paul Pasqualoni may have a ton of experience but this defense should be better than it has shown so far.  Our pass rush is anemic.  We don't do enough to disrupt the short/rhythm passing game.  I could see them making a change during the bye week.

7.  It was good to see Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones make key contributions this week.  I think they need to be more aggressive when they are going after contested balls but other than that they played pretty well.  

8.  We have enough talent at TE, WR and RB to be a difficult offense to defend.  That being said, Darrel Bevell needs to figure out how to get this offense into a rhythm early and keep it there.  Getting into a rhythm early will help make them more effective in the fourth quarter. 

9.  Two players we need to see more of:  Jesse James and Ty Johnson.  Jesse James may not be a world-beater but he knows how to get open and make crucial first downs.  Guys like him help keep drives alive and offenses in rhythm.  I would love to see Ty Johnson get some time at slot WR and other routes that get him in space against LBs.

10.  The block by Frank Ragnow to spring Kerryon Johnson was awesome.  He is quickly becoming the best player on our O-line.

11.  One guy who is playing pretty well but flying under the radar is Christian Jones.  He is just solid in all phases of the game.

Thoughts?

Fully agree on Christian Jones. Saw him absolute rock his guy a couple times on blitzes in this game too. 

Tavai IMO is going to be pretty good. A couple mental mishaps but he’s played strong at the POA and seems to be in good position on most plays. 

I think our DL just hasn’t gelled yet. They don’t seem to be playing together too much out there. One play, the outside guys collapse the pocket but then inside aren’t there so the QB just steps up and avoids the rush. They gotta figure something out here because IMO the amount of time the QB has been able to have the ball has been the issue with the defense thus far. 

I think the DL can be better against the run but they just don't have good pass rushers. Maybe they're waiting for Davis to come back before they put more of a pass-rushing burden on the linebackers.

Our pass rush is a major problem! Daniels and Flowers look like busts so far. We do not have a "fireball" off the edge. Rivers had all day to throw. I am really concerned with Flowers play as he doesn't look anything like a difference maker.

That was a blood bath last night.

Philly's oline doesn't look nearly as good as its been.

I think we have a real chance against them.

I think the D LIne issues go back to pre-season and the fact they all were hurt and did not practice/play or held out. They are out of shape and struggling with adapting back to live games.  I think they will continue to improve but is tough when Flowers, Hand, Daniels, Snacks, etc didn't practice together until a week ago.

I feel like we don't take advantage of mismatches on offense.  Ty and TJ can create some advantages catching the ball and we just don't seem to run much for them. 

Ty Johnson should be our kick and punt returner.

O line played ok, good down the stretch.  Still would like to find some upgrades there.

17 hours ago, BZski said:

Our pass rush is a major problem! Daniels and Flowers look like busts so far. We do not have a "fireball" off the edge. Rivers had all day to throw. I am really concerned with Flowers play as he doesn't look anything like a difference maker.

Flowers looked horrible rushing the passer... no moves not even his bull rush was laughable 

17 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Flowers looked horrible rushing the passer... no moves not even his bull rush was laughable 

He looks like a massive overpay at this point. I would have rather paid Anthony Barr as i think he would really excel in this scheme. I hope Flowers proves me wrong but at this point he isnt even an upgrade over Hand.