Mason Rudolph Mega Thread - ALL RUDOLPH TALK HERE

steelcurtain29

Obviously. The team would respond with energy and come to life even when you go to a QB that has never started a game. Because there is no vacuum sucking the energy out of the team from the mere sight of him. Kinda like the Tommy Maddox takes over for Kordell Stewart situation. Now, I know I said it.. Bueller... Bueller... Bueller....

Now, how do we get rid of Tomlin??? You see Ben is irrelevant. Good. It's ABOUT TIME. Angels in the Outfield.. classic. How do we see Tomlin is the problem.

More games... haha yip-pee!! Speaking of... this basilisk needs a draining. 

It amazes me how many people fall for the old trap of the best QB being the back-up QB. For those of us with history going back to the Steelers of the 70's:

1. They wanted Terry Hanratty

2. They wanted Bradshaw over the fame Notre Dame Hanratty.

3. Then Bradshaw sucked and they wanted the strong armed Joe Gilliam.

4. Then they wanted Bradshaw back.

5. Bradshaw got hurt and Mike Kruczek came in and won games.

6. Back to the Hall of Fame QB

7. Later it was Neil O'Donnell over Bubby Brister.

8. TD Tommy Maddox over Kordell Stewart.

9. The Dennis Dixon, Charlie Batch and Byron Lefwich experiences due to suspensions and injuries.

10. Joshua Dobbs over Landry Jones

11. Mason Rudolph over Dobbs.

This is a double edged sword that cuts deeply both ways.  The back-up comes in cold and the opposing team is unprepared for them and the back-up begins to light it up. He makes good throws, the playbook is simplified and the OC typically does some easy things to help the QB and team gain some the confidence in the back-up QB.  Defenses seems to get lit up a bit and the team seems to spark and rally behind this back-up.  Fans say, "Hey we lost but, (insert any back-ups name here) played a good game and maybe we need to replace the starter to spark the team.   

The Steelers had two of the best potential back-ups in Byron Lefwich and Charlie Batch. Both were former starters, very intelligent, but also very limited in terms of what they could do. They had mixed results (actually pretty good ones as back-ups go. Add Landry Jones name, but many fans don't want to admit that).  However, they are still back-ups because they are not better than the starter.  Let's not forget that our struggling soon to be HOF QB is still better than everyone that I have listed on this page. I see Mason Rudolph as having the potential to be a starter and one day replacement for Big Ben.  I don't believe that time is now.

I don't know the status of Ben as some word is supposed to come out today.  Perhaps this is why he hasn't been throwing as well. Perhaps this is why he didn't practice or get game reps as much as many feel he should have.  Mason struggled in practice was inaccurate at times in training camp and pre-season games. What makes so many people think that he has surpassed Ben and could elevate this offense higher than Ben could right now?  The team is 0 - 2.  They seemed unprepared for New England and like the Chargers game last year, they let the Seahawks hang around and then the defense could not stop them.  How is Rudolph supposed to realistically go into San Francisco and compete and beat a 2 - 0 49'ers team that seems to be on fire right now? 

To use some Tomlinisms, "This team hasn't been ready for prime time. The defense and several players also haven't put forth a very good varsity effort." Right now smoke and mirrors may best describe this football team. They seemed laser focused during camp and preseason with dealing with the distractions of no Bell and no Brown. Big Ben seemed to have changed his leadership style. Coach T hasn't said, much but the team just seemed to play hard and looked to be ready to be competitive amid all of the Cleveland Brown hype by the media.  Asking your young up and coming future QB to step in ahead of his time is a part of the game due to injuries and other factors.  Expecting him to be able to shoulder the load of the entire offense is really asking too much of him.  Could he have a big game or two? Yes absolutely.  Batch, Lefwich, and Landry all had their moments as relief pitchers or fill ins for a few games. This team has so many other issues, you need a veteran leader to help right this ship.  If Ben is truly hurt, rest him, let him heal whatever as this is only two games and there are 14 left.  You throw your support in the ring for Mason and hope he can over-achieve for a few weeks. Things do change, but I don't believe that the time for change is right now and the so-called QB controversy that some will try to manifest is not fair to Rudolph who would have no place to go, but further down.  If he plays average or even struggles many will say, Why isn't he ready?" Some may even suggest that he just doesn't have it. If he wins, then he filled with unfair over-hyped expectations that can/will only come crashing down when he struggles or faces a team that has game planned and prepared for the young inexperienced QB. 

Hmmm. Some parallels:

Ben dropped to a favorable cant pass draft position

Mason dropped to a favorable cant pass draft position

Ben had a rocky 1st training camp

Mason had a rocky 1st training camp

Ben came in game two 2nd quarter for Maddox who injured his elbow

Mason came in game two 2nd quarter for Ben who injured his elbow

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hmmm. Some parallels:

Ben dropped to a favorable cant pass draft position

Ben had a rocky 1st training camp

Mason had a rocky 1st training camp

Ben came in game two 2nd quarter for Maddox who injured his elbow

Mason came in game two 2nd quarter for Ben who injured his elbow

I literally just said all these things to a buddy last night. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Did he really though? I thought he was a crap prospect. I had a 5th round grade on him and most had him in the 4th. It's not like he was a can't miss prospect that slid. No QB slides into the 2nd or 3rd day that is considered a can't miss.

I know I'm an opposing fan, but I hope Mason Rudolph is the QB going forward. Stay the eff away from the top QB's!

53 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Did he really though? I thought he was a crap prospect. I had a 5th round grade on him and most had him in the 4th. It's not like he was a can't miss prospect that slid. No QB slides into the 2nd or 3rd day that is considered a can't miss.

I know I'm an opposing fan, but I hope Mason Rudolph is the QB going forward. Stay the eff away from the top QB's!

I believe he was considered a late 1st early second round if you go back and look.

Set all kind of passing records at OK State, good size, athletic will see what happens.

I will say when Ben took over for Maddox he basically just had to manage the game - we RAN the ball with Bettis and a pretty good line.

4 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

I believe he was considered a late 1st early second round if you go back and look.

Set all kind of passing records at OK State, good size, athletic will see what happens.

I will say when Ben took over for Maddox he basically just had to manage the game - we RAN the ball with Bettis and a pretty good line.

I don't think a ground and pound offense will work for us anymore. Our line is probably more talented than the one Ben inherited, but they aren't nearly as physical. Our line is best suited for a quick, up tempo, short pass and runs. We can run those power plays where we pull, but it seems like teams are selling out. That may have been because Ben couldn't move, so maybe Mason will be able to actually run play action? 

Tomlin is a great coach, a true genius and master motivator.  He in no way inherited a totally stacked roster and managed to keep it basically on auto-pilot for a decade until clubhouse cancer and old age killed it.  He has actually, quite subtly built a system that operates to 11 wins no matter who is on the roster!  He will take Rudolph and plug-n-play the team into another superbowl by next year, two tops The standard is the standard!

/ sarcasm

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think a ground and pound offense will work for us anymore. Our line is probably more talented than the one Ben inherited, but they aren't nearly as physical. Our line is best suited for a quick, up tempo, short pass and runs. We can run those power plays where we pull, but it seems like teams are selling out. That may have been because Ben couldn't move, so maybe Mason will be able to actually run play action? 

I agree. I don't think a ground n pound will work for anyone in the NFL. I was just saying Ben didn't have to win games throwing the ball when he began his career.

They ran the ball and played good defense. 

• Like 1