Mason Rudolph Mega Thread - ALL RUDOLPH TALK HERE

steelcurtain29

36 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

he makes good decisions

This is the only real part I would questions. I'm not so sure he will - at least not yet.  His college tape says he will turn the ball over. The level of college ball he played at is nowhere near the reaction time for NFL windows down the field. 

He threw 41 picks in college. Big windows, not as many athletes and still turned the ball over a ton. Earl Thomas showed you how simple it is to forget the stage you are on....luckily that one got called back. 

Its tough to take the gunslinger out of a qb who wants to be a gunslinger. People point to his "fearlessness" to stand against FSU in college and throw for nearly 500 yards....the part left out is the 4 picks in that game. 

We currently have two QBs on different spectrum of the "trigger". Mason has throws downfield, but doesnt want to test Windows smaller than he is used to. Devlin doesnt think any window is too small. Both have positives and negatives, but at this stage of where we are - I would far rather error on the side of caution until they both get further along in the development and more NFL time under their belts. 

If we can hone Delvin in, I really like his future, most likely as a long term backup. If we can expand Masons faith in himself in tight windows, I like his future as a starter. Both need more time that was this year has afforded them, but I love what I see so far from both. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

This is the only real part I would questions. I'm not so sure he will - at least not yet.  His college tape says he will turn the ball over. The level of college ball he played at is nowhere near the reaction time for NFL windows down the field. 

He threw 41 picks in college. Big windows, not as many athletes and still turned the ball over a ton. Earl Thomas showed you how simple it is to forget the stage you are on....luckily that one got called back. 

Its tough to take the gunslinger out of a qb who wants to be a gunslinger. People point to his "fearlessness" to stand against FSU in college and throw for nearly 500 yards....the part left out is the 4 picks in that game. 

We currently have two QBs on different spectrum of the "trigger". Mason has throws downfield, but doesnt want to test Windows smaller than he is used to. Devlin doesnt think any window is too small. Both have positives and negatives, but at this stage of where we are - I would far rather error on the side of caution until they both get further along in the development and more NFL time under their belts. 

If we can hone Delvin in, I really like his future, most likely as a long term backup. If we can expand Masons faith in himself in tight windows, I like his future as a starter. Both need more time that was this year has afforded them, but I love what I see so far from both. 

I should've gone into further detail with what I meant when I said he makes good decisons. So even if Holton was at fault, the int was a bad decision.

What wasnt a bad decision is what he did with the crappy snaps from Pouncey. Especially the one that was technically a fumble. That was pure awareness and intelligence. 

As far as throws the coaches need to make sure they're teaching good decisionmaking as much a they can 

Just now, wwhickok said:

As far as throws the coaches need to make sure they're teaching good decision making as much a they can 

Agree, but that's a really hard thing to teach and generally works better the way you need to go with Mason rather than Devlin. Decision making, at least in my experience, seems far more natural than anything you can teach. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Agree, but that's a really hard thing to teach and generally works better the way you need to go with Mason rather than Devlin. Decision making, at least in my experience, seems far more natural than anything you can teach. 

Yeah and let's be honest your decision making is really are due improve if you're not on the field. But if you are limited in how much you see the  Field then your opportunities to make badd decisions are going to be much less and I feel like that is why Devlin Hodges he is in ideal backup also

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

he has hit WR's in stride more than Mason from what I can remember.  Good idea to keep him around if they can, QB depth is only going to help the team if injury bug hits the QB's.  I liked the way the team responded most of all. They blocked, ran the ball and just dominated the chargers for most of the game. 

What? @Dcash4 just showed only 7 passes went beyond the LOS. So AT MOST, he had 7 "in stride". Which I know wasn't the case. Talk about a small sample. 

Edited by Chieferific

26 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what will the OC play calling be like after the bye week? I hope they keep the rushing attack but I have a bad feeling.

I think we need a mix of what we saw vs. The Bengals game and what we saw during the Chargers.

Bring the RPOs, the Wildcats, the PA, (I guess maybe all of that is ways to say RPOs...w/e lol) the deep balls the rushing attack. 

Dont settle on 1 dynamic, blow the lid of this mf because that's the only chance we have of getting to the post season. 

For the record I believe we win at least 2 of our next 3, beat the Bengals again, sweep the browns, and beat Baltimore in Pittsburgh

38 minutes ago, August4th said:

the way williams played the run, I could care less if baron plays on those series anyways. Nix though, could allow I formation to help the run game.  I want to see the old style of offence, not ben's offence .  Washington and Nelson - this helps too, Sutton better be out there instead of burns!

• 4 weeks later...

Fichtner is getting us killed! OMG 

Okay let's see if every team in the league has now figured us out...

First down : run the ball every SINGLE TIME

Second down : run the ball (60% of the time) or throw a 3 yard pass hoping the receiver will break free

Third down (usually third and long) : Pass the ball with defenses blitzing and disguising coverages.

In claiming that they are trying to protect Rudolph, they are killing him and the offense. No first down passing. No play action passing. The defenses know exactly what we are doing. It's a little surprising that we have scored anything other than field goals. This 4 yard offense fails most of the time anytime we have ONE negative play/penalty.

Thoughts... 

7 minutes ago, oksteeler said:

Fichtner is getting us killed! OMG 

Okay let's see if every team in the league has now figured us out...

First down : run the ball every SINGLE TIME

Second down : run the ball (60% of the time) or throw a 3 yard pass hoping the receiver will break free

Third down (usually third and long) : Pass the ball with defenses blitzing and disguising coverages.

In claiming that they are trying to protect Rudolph, they are killing him and the offense. No first down passing. No play action passing. The defenses know exactly what we are doing. It's a little surprising that we have scored anything other than field goals. This 4 yard offense fails most of the time anytime we have ONE negative play/penalty.

Thoughts... 

nothing wrong with running the ball on 1st down, if you can get yards:o When they get yards, it is a good idea, band they need to stay with he run.  What really is the problem is when the OL isn't playing well enough and then the run game is meaningless.  They need to get play action going for sure, agree about that, but to do so the run has to be effective of course. I don't like how they aren't letting Mason throw downfield, especially since he has the arm for it. 

• Like 1