2020 Draft thread

lavar703

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Hearing Cooley say he wouldn’t even entertain a trade for Young is pretty refreshing considering the guy has an eye for talent. That’s the boat I’m in. Don’t mess this up. 

Yep, then the rumors will be we turned down 3 #1's and and #2 and in two, 3 years we'll be going - Man, Why didn't we take that offer . ( Just kidding ! :P )

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not lobbying for a vet.  Lobbying for a #2 WR in this incredibly WR-rich draft.

I'm not sold we get someone better than Harmon unless Trent won't play and is traded and we get a 2nd. Again, Harmon had 30 for 365 yards receptions in 8 starts. That's around 60 for 700 plus yards if he starts 16 games. That's a #2 WR for ya right there.

I do agree we should add more young WRs though. More competition is always good. For example, Quinn should not be ”given” a job again that he didn't earn. I think/hope we will draft a WR in the draft - maybe two - and hopefully we get lucky with an UDFA WR too, like we did when we signed Steve Sims and Cam Sims too, who hopefully develops into a reliable #4 or even challenges Harnon to start which I expect he will.

Edited by turtle28

41 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Yep, then the rumors will be we turned down 3 #1's and and #2 and in two, 3 years we'll be going - Man, Why didn't we take that offer . ( Just kidding ! :P )

This is the first time I’m okay with turning down multiple ones. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever felt like this about one of our draft choices. It just seems so cut and dry. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This is the first time I’m okay with turning down multiple ones. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever felt like this about one of our draft choices. It just seems so cut and dry. 

Just remember, no one is guaranteed to be a star from this.  I remember when Aaron Curry was drafted, everyone raved about him, saying he could be one of the best LBers ever, and his floor was a Pro Bowler.  He only played five seasons.  

Normally I think a team needs to have between 8-11 draft picks, because the draft really is a lottery.  The more tickets you have, the better luck you have at getting someone.  It also helps increase competition during mini-camps and training camp for the depth positions and pushes everyone involved.  In this instance, the Redskins need to take the shot on the big talent.  If they do, and Chase Young works out, it transforms the defense immensely for the next decade-plus.  Not many other prospects can do that.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Just remember, no one is guaranteed to be a star from this.  I remember when Aaron Curry was drafted, everyone raved about him, saying he could be one of the best LBers ever, and his floor was a Pro Bowler.  He only played five seasons.  

Normally I think a team needs to have between 8-11 draft picks, because the draft really is a lottery.  The more tickets you have, the better luck you have at getting someone.  It also helps increase competition during mini-camps and training camp for the depth positions and pushes everyone involved.  In this instance, the Redskins need to take the shot on the big talent.  If they do, and Chase Young works out, it transforms the defense immensely for the next decade-plus.  Not many other prospects can do that.  

Do you have any other examples? I think it was you who has now brought up a much less talented player in Aaron Curry who was an athletic freak but looking back on it wasn’t an amazing football player, he was Vernon Gholston, it’s not an equal comparison.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Do you have any other examples? I think it was you who has now brought up a much less talented player in Aaron Curry who was an athletic freak but looking back on it wasn’t an amazing football player, he was Vernon Gholston, it’s not an equal comparison.

Robert Gallery sticks out.  He was supposed to be the next Jon Ogden and he failed at both tackle spots before having moderate success at guard.  Certainly not what the Raiders envisioned with a top five pick.  Leonard Williams is another.  Roberto Aguayo set college records for accuracy and was anything but in the NFL.  Derrick Harvey.  Trent Richardson.  We can keep going on. 

Point is, we have no idea how these guys are going to translate to the NFL, regardless of position.  

• Like 2

Oh come on, none of those guys were looked at like Young. The closest of those being Robert Gallery but that was also a time when LT’s were being way over drafted.

Yes, Young could be a bust but the odds of it are extremely remote and the trade back crowd doesn’t seem to realize these 3 starters they keep plugging in for the #2 pick will most likely end up one starter and two average players. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh come on, none of those guys were looked at like Young. The closest of those being Robert Gallery but that was also a time when LT’s were being way over drafted.

Yes, Young could be a bust but the odds of it are extremely remote and the trade back crowd doesn’t seem to realize these 3 starters they keep plugging in for the #2 pick will most likely end up one starter and two average players. 

I agree. Trade back next year unless your the top pick. But Young has been gofted to us I roll the dice with the elite level prospect. Everyone keeps comparing him to the Bosa’s but he’s a different player the success San Fran has had doesn’t impact this pick nor should it. When a team is competing their draft strategy is out dated and you aren’t getting those players in their environment. Young is about getting the best talent avalible. Also this is the first time there’s a legit Blue chip player on the board for our selection.

• Like 3

I think we need to try to find a way, to aquire a 2nd round draft choice.

I think that's one of the biggest reasons for the trade down thoughts & theories. 

Whether it requires trading Trent Williams or Ryan Kerrigan to make that happen? Who knows?

But netting a 2nd, might eliminate anyone thinking we need to trade down.

I know this....

I would rather trade our 32 year old dope smokin pro Bowl LT who doesn't want to play anymore, or our 30+ OLB who will need to move to DE in a very crowded room including the player we are targeting #2 overall for...

And stay at #2 and draft the next pass rushing HOFer to be in Chase Young....

Than to.........

Keep Trent & Kerrigan & watch them leave anyways or retire within couple years...

Not take the pass rushing HOFer, as he mauls us for a decade for the N.Y. Giants & surpasses Lawrence Taylor for greatest Giant.

Watch us trade down in the 1st for OT Tristan Wirfs who struggles to beat out Geron Christian in camp.

Nope...not me....

Trade Trent or Ryan (preferably Trent)

Get a 2nd Rd pick

Draft Chase Young

• Like 1

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Robert Gallery sticks out.  He was supposed to be the next Jon Ogden and he failed at both tackle spots before having moderate success at guard.  Certainly not what the Raiders envisioned with a top five pick.  Leonard Williams is another.  Roberto Aguayo set college records for accuracy and was anything but in the NFL.  Derrick Harvey.  Trent Richardson.  We can keep going on. 

Point is, we have no idea how these guys are going to translate to the NFL, regardless of position.  

Eh, same type of comparison. Gallery & Scherff too we're maulers as OTs at Iowa. Better at run blocking then pass blocking. I remember telling @lavar703 in 2014 that I wasn't that high on Scherff bc I watched Ngakoue then from Maryland, currently DE for the Jaguars abuse him in a game. 

He just wasn't athletic enough to be a LT in the NFL. Guard or RT, ok, but I wouldn't have drafted either Gallery or Scherff top 5 if I was making the pick.

Leonard Williams isn't a bad DE. He doesn't put up a lot of sack numbers but he's been mostly a 3-4 DE in a two gap scheme who's primarily responsibility was to play the run and hold up offensive lineman to keep the ILBs clear to go make tackles.

In 2016 he had 7 sacks and in 2018 he had 5 sacks, so he's capable of getting pressure on the QB too, and we all should know stats don't tell the entire story, especially when you're drafted to be more of a run stuffer then pass rusher.

Agree that no pick is ever a lock, but Chase Young is a better prospect then all the names you keep spewing.

Edited by turtle28

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292915bce3393e828e85

11 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I agree. Trade back next year unless your the top pick. But Young has been gofted to us I roll the dice with the elite level prospect. Everyone keeps comparing him to the Bosa’s but he’s a different player the success San Fran has had doesn’t impact this pick nor should it. When a team is competing their draft strategy is out dated and you aren’t getting those players in their environment. Young is about getting the best talent avalible. Also this is the first time there’s a legit Blue chip player on the board for our selection.

I see it both ways. Hes a gift to us as a player or in trade demand. So getting, "Best talent available" works on both sides the coin.

For DE. We can take 1 elite performer. Or roll with a Kerrigan level performer in AJ or Matos. While adding to it maybe a Chris Samuels level Tackle next year or a guy like WR Justyn Ross from Clemson.

Again. I have 0 problem with drafting Young. He will be an elite player in the league for a decade. But on the flip side. Is he that much better than guys in that Kerrigan range of talent that he warrants giving up a great tackle, top WR or top 10 CB? Thats why Ill take no hard side. Happy either way its played. But with our cap space, would like to see spots addressed with talent pieces. And see them really go after guys like Cooper or Greg Robinson.

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'm not dissing Young, just stating that he might not be the automatic player we think he is because no one is.  Chances are he's going to be that guy.  He's produced in college already so he isn't a combine freak.  He's produced against top competition or been double-teamed to take out of the equation.  I really like to look at production at the college level and he's got it.  I wouldn't be inclined to make any sort of trade either.  

However, the draft is a lottery system, and while I don't want to move down from this pick, it's also desirable to have as many picks as possible.  But we can do that with other trades later in the draft.