2020 Draft thread

lavar703

Chase Young Prospect Grade - 7.40 (Perennial All-Pro)
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Julius Peppers

Overview
Elite size, length and athleticism created loads of production and a vaulted pro projection, but Young's set of disruptive properties have yet to be fully weaponized. He's fairly basic as a pass rusher, with just a couple of go-to moves and an occasional inside counter, and yet he still managed 16.5 sacks in 2019. He has the traits to overwhelm many of the tackles he faces, and it won't take long for teams to add a bull-rush, a rip-and-run and a stab counter into his repertoire. He plays a little upright at the point of attack, and his ball awareness is below average, but those concerns aren't enough to counterbalance his range and agility as a run defender. Young possesses superior traits and the ability to wreck and alter offensive game-plans as a perennial All-Pro.
Strengths
  • Rare physical specimen with long, chiseled, pliable frame
  • Staggering leaps in high-impact production over consecutive seasons
  • Loose, fluid, agile, aggressive and explosive
  • Rush pace quickened substantially from 2018
  • Quick-twitch eruption out of his stance with first step
  • Provides early response to dislodge and clear the punch
  • Momentum/balance gives his rush extended life
  • Turns torso and flips hips to climb around tackles
  • Consistently targets QB's throwing arm when attacking the pocket
  • Power and size to play through blocker's edge
  • Operates with quick hands and rarely allows them to linger
  • Speed and length create expansive play-making radius
  • Low success rate for teams trying to run around him
  • Once he sinks his hooks in, it's over for the ball-carrier
  • Long, lateral slide for sudden step-around as edge defender
  • Heat-seeking missile with exceptional change-of-direction talent
Weaknesses
  • Non-factor in the playoff loss to Clemson
  • Field awareness and anticipation is below average
  • Loses track of the football at the mesh point
  • Gives some ground when setting the edge
  • Could use better anchor drop in his lower half
  • Rush plan heavily reliant upon athletic ability and traits
  • Initial hands lack purpose and skill in pass rush
  • Not very instinctive as a pass rusher
  • Needs to create more half-man entry points as a rusher
  • Telegraphs inside slide step counter
  • Will need better go-to moves to become less predictable as a pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’d rather have Brycen Hopkins then Thaddeus Moss. I have no idea how Moss has even climbed this far? Dude basically looks like an undrafted free agent who’ll make it because of his dad. 

I think Brycen Hopkins has a chance to go in round 2, that’s why he’s not in my post. 

The guys I listed who are possible choices for us. 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:16 PM, turtle28 said:

And then Patricia takes Chase Young and we’re taking a lesser prospect. No thanks. 

If their owner/GM is as inept as Snyder Allen, they might take a QB.  But if they want the best prospect, and Patricia wants to win to keep his job, they keep Stafford and draft Okudah.  This makes absolutely no sense.  

Chase Young will be amazing, but I get the feeling that commitment and mental stability is becoming more of a priority and risk factor.  As well-deserved as his hype is, it seems like that is another factor you have to add in their chance of success.  At a quick look at drafttek's latest, a snag of their 1's could end us up with, T Andrew Jones, CB Kristian Fulton, and WR Tee Higgins.   With all of the risk factors nowadays other than performance, quantity of high end talent vs. chance of an elite, would leave me with wanting more lottery tickets.  I guess my belief in "sure things" has become jaded with the multitude of ways someone can destroy a career. 

9 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:
Chase Young Prospect Grade - 7.40 (Perennial All-Pro)
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Julius Peppers

Overview
Elite size, length and athleticism created loads of production and a vaulted pro projection, but Young's set of disruptive properties have yet to be fully weaponized. He's fairly basic as a pass rusher, with just a couple of go-to moves and an occasional inside counter, and yet he still managed 16.5 sacks in 2019. He has the traits to overwhelm many of the tackles he faces, and it won't take long for teams to add a bull-rush, a rip-and-run and a stab counter into his repertoire. He plays a little upright at the point of attack, and his ball awareness is below average, but those concerns aren't enough to counterbalance his range and agility as a run defender. Young possesses superior traits and the ability to wreck and alter offensive game-plans as a perennial All-Pro.
Strengths
  • Rare physical specimen with long, chiseled, pliable frame
  • Staggering leaps in high-impact production over consecutive seasons
  • Loose, fluid, agile, aggressive and explosive
  • Rush pace quickened substantially from 2018
  • Quick-twitch eruption out of his stance with first step
  • Provides early response to dislodge and clear the punch
  • Momentum/balance gives his rush extended life
  • Turns torso and flips hips to climb around tackles
  • Consistently targets QB's throwing arm when attacking the pocket
  • Power and size to play through blocker's edge
  • Operates with quick hands and rarely allows them to linger
  • Speed and length create expansive play-making radius
  • Low success rate for teams trying to run around him
  • Once he sinks his hooks in, it's over for the ball-carrier
  • Long, lateral slide for sudden step-around as edge defender
  • Heat-seeking missile with exceptional change-of-direction talent
Weaknesses
  • Non-factor in the playoff loss to Clemson
  • Field awareness and anticipation is below average
  • Loses track of the football at the mesh point
  • Gives some ground when setting the edge
  • Could use better anchor drop in his lower half
  • Rush plan heavily reliant upon athletic ability and traits
  • Initial hands lack purpose and skill in pass rush
  • Not very instinctive as a pass rusher
  • Needs to create more half-man entry points as a rusher
  • Telegraphs inside slide step counter
  • Will need better go-to moves to become less predictable as a pro

Ha! That’s who I compared him too! Lock him up! Rivera loved Peppers in Carolina!

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Anyone interested in trying to work a 3 team trade?

redskins receive pick #3 #18

Lions receive pick #5 and Miami’s 2nd

Miami receives pick #2

Cincy Burrow

Miami Tua

Skins Young

Giants Simmons 

Detroit Okudah

We won’t get #18 by trading down one spot. Why would the other teams want us to be involved with this?

It’s clearly a deal that Det & Mia can work out on their own.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, daskins said:

Chase Young will be amazing, but I get the feeling that commitment and mental stability is becoming more of a priority and risk factor.  As well-deserved as his hype is, it seems like that is another factor you have to add in their chance of success.  At a quick look at drafttek's latest, a snag of their 1's could end us up with, T Andrew Jones, CB Kristian Fulton, and WR Tee Higgins.   With all of the risk factors nowadays other than performance, quantity of high end talent vs. chance of an elite, would leave me with wanting more lottery tickets.  I guess my belief in "sure things" has become jaded with the multitude of ways someone can destroy a career. 

Every draft pick is a crap shoot no matter where they are drafted, IMO it’s better to take the best prospect you can when you pick unless you have several guys grades out the same and Chase Young is the best prospect in this draft.

So, my issue with your idea is that Chase Young isn’t just your usual top 5 pick. When you watch him, he’s just different then most DEs bc his combination of size/speed/quick twitch is like that of a DB but he’s a 6’5, 265 pound man child!

Passing up on that prospect for 3 “could be very good but not elite” players gets us back to an average football team, maybe above average.

The Redskins haven’t had a true difference maker on their team since 2012 RG3 and before that CP in his prime and Sean Taylor.

We have a chance to get that kind of talent on our team like the 49ers did last year, we shouldn’t hesitate to take the chance to do it... AT ALL... IMO.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If their owner/GM is as inept as Snyder Allen, they might take a QB.  But if they want the best prospect, and Patricia wants to win to keep his job, they keep Stafford and draft Okudah.  This makes absolutely no sense.  

I agree they should be taking Okudah and not trading up for Tua or Herbert and Patricia is a defensive guy who’s been having the front office invest in his defense since he got hired there. Okudah would be another piece in arguably their weakest spot on D, a #2 CB opposite Slay. 

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Not sure if this was posted in here. Not sure if the dude is reliable but there you go

He’s definitely credible, look at his credentials, he has a blue check mark was a former player and has tons and tons of followers. If it happens I just pray to baby Jesus that they don’t take Chase Young and then we look like a bunch of effin fools!

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I think Brycen Hopkins has a chance to go in round 2, that’s why he’s not in my post. 

The guys I listed who are possible choices for us. 

He definitely has a chance to be a mid to late 2nd, which tells me a team like the Patriots won’t pass on him, but if they do he’ll be there for us in the top of the 3rd.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We won’t get #18 by trading down one spot. Why would the other teams want us to be involved with this?

It’s clearly a deal that Det & Mia can work out on their own.

I feel like if we throw ryan Kerrigan into that mix going to Detroit that it could happen, I mean think about it. Detroit’s been rumored to be targeting Dline and Secondary, everyone knows they would pick young in a heartbeat. They know they won’t get him if we take him so instead of just getting Okudah at #3 or just pick 18 or just getting a 2nd round pick to move back

they would essentially get Okudah, Kerrigan, and a 2nd in the trade. I think Patricia would take Okudah, Kerrigan, and a 2nd in a Heartbeat to move back two spots

• Like 1